The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow does this seem to be a knee-jerk reaction by FA. So are we getting a new gm every time we miss the playoffs? Time to follow edmonton's example of hiring a new coach every year except this time it will be a new gm. So can people going to the next game start chanting fire torts. He might be let go the next day.

Goddamn it!

The Canucks always do something big when I have a ton of work to do!

This firing has me HOURS behind schedule...

Must...close....browser.....window.....

Lol I'm with you.... Need to walk away

Word

Bob Nicholson in town apparently

Source? I know he was back in the Okanagan, but not that he'd come to the lower mainland.

Toronto radio says he's actually in Boston right now.

Which is why sources are important.

No,

That would happen if Calgary ownership were our new GM.

People need to get it through their heads that Feaster had no power in Calgary, the owners forced him into those stupid moves.

So then why would we want Feaster here with an ownership that has rumours around being controlling? No thanks, if he was a good GM he would have made at least some of his own decisions and the Flames would be in a much better position than they are now.

Whatever. I was a supporter but I'll welcome the change. I liked how he rebuid the prospect depth and didnt jump at any chance to trade Horvat ect.

The new guy has to come in and build on the good things gillis has done and we'll be a good team again soon. If he comes in and starts trading all these bright future pieces for some phil kessel's because he want's a contender asap, we'll be back to the mid to late 90s vancouver canucks in no time.

And that's a point for everyone to consider. As much as CDC'ers are clamouring for a new GM to come in and pull rank and file to clear out NTCs, the same GM might also just scrap the current prospect pool too and try and trade for players to fill the roster now. No telling what the Canucks look like after that and if they're any better for it.

Ask? How about my plan for Edler. Simply tell him he is not playing on the Canucks anymore. If he agrees to get traded we will try and trade him.

Otherwise, you can play in Utica.

Take it or deal it.

The new GM had better not be about making friends, he should be about fixing the problems, using any and every move possible.

I suspect a few players may ask for trades. Once the first few rats start leaving the ship they will all bail no problem. Especially when they see the alternative.

Wow... Wow. "You can play in Utica?!" I'm glad to see you've thought this through...

Players with NTCs still have the option not to waive them regardless of who the new GM is, and I would hope our new GM isn't a fan of losing players for nothing on waivers to make a point.

Because any GM candidate worth his salt will not want the ownership meddling in hockey op's.

Exactly - but will that stop them? What about Torts? Does the new GM have the go-ahead to fire him? I can see a lot of potential guys looking at our situation and saying they want no part of this.

Good riddance! Finally...should have fired him at least a year or more ago.

Now we don't have to listen to anymore arrogant assinine interviews from Gillis..thank god.

Note to Canucks: bring in someone with credibility and who is well regarded in the NHL. Time to change the image of the Canucks from being the "most hated" to a respected organization. It starts at the top and this is a good change.

Wow does this seem to be a knee-jerk reaction by FA. So are we getting a new gm every time we miss the playoffs? Time to follow edmonton's example of hiring a new coach every year except this time it will be a new gm. So can people going to the next game start chanting fire torts. He might be let go the next day.

??????

MG had more then his fair chance not sure what your talking about and why you think an owner that give MG as long as he did would get another new GM next year????

There is hope for our franchise once again. We just need a President or GM that can deliver and help us become a entertaining and contending team. I know people are scared of change but this is probably the best thing for the brand in the long haul. Gillis did decent as a rookie GM but this is something that had to happen.

It's about time Gillis was dismissed. Better late then never. What great day.

We'll revisit this in a few years if we become a trapping basement dweller with our new direction.

I'll be first to cheer if we nab the second coming of Ken Holland but watch what you wish for sometimes. Darker days may be ahead.

All my non Canucks friends say the Canucks demise is all on Gillis.

Your friends might be idiots who don't watch hockey or follow the canucks.I don't see them as hockey experts like Scotty Bowman. You make it sound like your friends are experts on this topic.

One of my biggest concerns is this. The owners want to sell tickets and next year was going to be an issue. Something had to be done in order to give fans an unknown, something to "see"...reason to buy in. So a reactionary thing is to stay onside with them and give them what they chant for...hey, they want this so let's keep the ticket buyers happy. People will be "excited" now....they'll want to see. They'll "believe" all over again.

Obviously, owners want the best for the team but running right alongside of that is their desire for people to keep showing up. So motives are split in that they obviously are scrambling to make sure those tickets are sold next year. We'll now get the "new and improved" campaign. I'll reserve judgement until I see what unfolds....

Sorry, I'm a bit of a party crasher that way.

Where were the fire Tortorella chanters? I know you were all sitting there, too. I've talked to ya. Cowards! That chant should have been a 2-fer....then let the Aquilinis make their decisions after hearin' that.

The owners obviously felt they were fighting the powers-that-be in this league with Gillis on board...and they've made the decision to try & join 'em, instead. Good luck with that. I just dont want Bruiser hockey...I want my teams stars to retain all of their brain-cells & have long-heralded careers, & not have to explain to the next generation of fans...all of the brawling, cheap-shotting & on-ice policing that this league still really embraces...despite Bettman giving us lip-service to the contrary. Oh,... remind me NOT to buy tickets behind the 'Nucks bench...my sensibilities can only stand so many F-bombs a minute. Gentlemen....is a word we will rarely hear describing members of this organization... who aren't Sedins...any more, if Torts has his way. :picard:

Quinn doesn't look to be in the greatest of health and getting up there in age.

One train of thought is that Aquilini is at the presser tomorrow with Trev and Pat Quinn at his sides, announcing that Trev is the new president of the team and that Pat Quinn will be his special advisor, to guide him through the first couple of years.

Good riddance! Finally...should have fired him at least a year or more ago.

Now we don't have to listen to anymore arrogant assinine interviews from Gillis..thank god.

Note to Canucks: bring in someone with credibility and who is well regarded in the NHL. Time to change the image of the Canucks from being the "most hated" to a respected organization. It starts at the top and this is a good change.

Yeah I can do better than that, they should have fired him back in 2010|2011 season Yeah you probably dont evern have a job!!!

I wonder how many mistakes you do on your job!! mmm mmm

What are Bob Nicholson's credentials for the GM job? President sure. But what makes him a great candidate for the GM job?

I don't see it.

this has to be worse than AV's firing(team struggled to score after and got hit with a load of injuries) and letting Salo go (PP took a nosedive after he left)

There is hope for our franchise once again. We just need a President or GM that can deliver and help us become a entertaining and contending team. I know people are scared of change but this is probably the best thing for the brand in the long haul. Gillis did decent as a rookie GM but this is something that had to happen.

Yep the sky is falling ooh let scream it out louder some people really

Archived