The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

So…. the real question is whether he will be solely responsible for hiring the new GM or not.

As in, what are his official functions under this title?

Well, I'd expand that to say how much power will he really have or are the owners actually more involved than they should be?

@sportsnetmurph: Linden responsible for hockey operations, coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations.

Just saw that too. I'd categorize it as the president controls the overall operation of the team where the GM handles the day to day operation. Blurred lines in a number of areas I'm sure, and whoever ends up GM will surely work hand in hand with Linden on decisions.

But welcome back to Linden and I hope he does have the autonomy he'd need to be successful, but that he also takes input from the smart hockey people surrounding him so he can be a part of bringing this team back to the top!

He lied to us yesterday, don't trust him haha

As I tweeted to Farhan after his 'confirmed' tweet last night, an announcement today about him as president seems pretty imminent to me. Maybe they didn't tell him he was up for the position until after the TV spot?

Linden is a good man, something that I don't believe Gillis was. Linden will restore some ethic into this team and he'll treat people the same way. At the same time, his relationship with the media will be different than it used to be when he was a player. He'll have to be a little bit more guarded, a little bit more professional, and he won't be able to give them everything they want to know.

I think this hiring is a good call by the Canucks, regardless of what happens during Linden's tenure here in Vancouver I hope it doesn't taint his legacy as a player.

Linden is a good man, something that I don't believe Gillis was. Linden will restore some ethic into this team and he'll treat people the same way. At the same time, his relationship with the media will be different than it used to be when he was a player. He'll have to be a little bit more guarded, a little bit more professional, and he won't be able to give them everything they want to know.

I think this hiring is a good call by the Canucks, regardless of what happens during Linden's tenure here in Vancouver I hope it doesn't taint his legacy as a player.

Ditto.

I'd bet that the days of Canucks mgmt throwing players (Malholtra, Hodgson, Morrison, etc.)under the bus to deflect media scrutiny away from their own decisions are OVER! I'd bet instead that whatever the on-ice product, management will grace the paying consumers with the respect of honest, quality answers and insight, whatever the scrutiny being faced.

Doubt we'll all "like" or agree with the decisions made along the way, but it was long past time for a fresh personality to the team, and what better personality than the iconic face of the franchise?

With his NHL background and broader business experience, give Linden an experienced quality GM and see good stuff coming. And of course, knowing the B.C. market as he does, Linden would have gone into this decision knowing what's coming to him too - doubt he plans to duck from the weight.

I'm glad they're bringing in a proven winner.

*sarcasm*

Let's not go that route. After listening to 1040 peddle how awesome Jay Feaster would be because of his 2004 cup with Torts I think I'm about done with the "proven winner" argument.

Couldn't agree more!

Well, we can call it a band-aid solution, or a PR move, however I already feel better about the Canucks future than I did yesterday. A position as president means that he can hand over the day to day hockey stuff to a GM with some experience. I am not expecting any miracles next season, however I am already more optimistic. And Linden just belongs with the Canucks.

I hope they take their time with finding a GM. They have a couple of months before the draft. I'd rather wait until after the playoffs and see the list of candidates. With where we are as a franchise at the moment, we need a GM who has some experience and success building a team through the draft.

I'm kind of meh about this. Probably a good thing from a team marketing perspective (Linden is well liked and has had a strong presence in the community) and maybe his hockey playing experience will help in choosing a solid GM. Seems like a guy who hasn't got a huge ego and would seek out good advise. But I honestly think this is more marketing than anything else. Glad Linden wasn't chosen as GM. After the Gillis fiasco, the last thing we needed was another newbie GM, this time a former player union rep, trying to work his way into the old boys network to make deals.

As one Canucks blogger pointed out, hope that Linden's legacy doesn't take a big hit if this team doesn't turn around in the near future. Take a look at Kevin Lowe in Edmonton.

As I tweeted to Farhan after his 'confirmed' tweet last night, an announcement today about him as president seems pretty imminent to me. Maybe they didn't tell him he was up for the position until after the TV spot?

i was just joking haha I think he had to have had the discussion. Its something you need to discuss with your family ect. I dont think he could have made a decision of that magnitude in a matter of hours. Cant hate him for holding back something like that before gillis was fired. Must have made him sweat being asked about it with the gillis announcement so soon though haha

im just making light of the fact that gillis keeps his lips tight on something he very well should and he's a lying sack of poop. Linden holds something back and we all say in our best botchford voice "ohhhh Trevor, you get me every time" haha

I don't agree that hiring Linden is just a PR stunt. I think the owners looked at the situation down in Denver and decided to replicate it. Sakic has the same job description, and seems to be doing very well...despite having no prior GM experience! Both Sakic and Linden have always been students of the game, and it was always just a matter of time before they took management positions.

I think Linden will do very well. Look how well Gillis did...who also had no GM/management experience!

THIS. This was the only thing I was worried about. Lets hope it doesn't happen.

Ps. Bob Nicholson for GM now pleaaaaaaaaaaaase. Linden as President and Bob for GM.

One step closer to being great again.

Archived