The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

I guess COO Victor de Bonis will be inheriting even more responsibilities on the business side.

"President of Hockey Operations" is not the same as the full "President" title that Gillis held. It should put Linden at the top on the hockey side of the business but de Bonis might be moving to the top position on the corporate side (where he was formerly working as a "partner" to MG).

This surprises me a little since Linden has shown some good business acumen and management experience and could be an asset, especially locally, in building corporate partnerships and business relationships.

Instead, it looks like he'll be focused on the hockey side of the business (alongside the new GM).

I suppose it could also indicate the Linden is, at least currently, being hired as more of a public face than anything else. And that the Canucks weren't ready to install Linden in the overall top position (at least not yet).

Whatever Linden's responsibilities are, it's probably a good thing that he's not assuming full control over the organization (at least to the degree this ownership allows). The Canucks have an excellent existing team running the business side of the club and should probably just shift the current staff into whatever portfolios have been vacated by Gillis (outside of hockey ops).

Linden should be a key player in defining the "big picture" of where this team is headed (in terms of choosing a system/playing style and team philosophy/approach). This gives the Canucks a popular face to handle the public and sell the fans on the on-ice product.

But hopefully he delegates much of the day-to-day "nuts and bolts" of hockey ops to the new GM. And hopefully that GM comes with a strong background and experience in NHL hockey operations, team building/development, and CBA/salary cap.

I suppose that a lot still depends on who gets hired as GM and how much of a role they are given.

im just making light of the fact that gillis keeps his lips tight on something he very well should and he's a lying sack of poop. Linden holds something back and we all say in our best botchford voice "ohhhh Trevor, you get me every time" haha

I wonder how long until the clock runs down on that good will with this fan base...? :lol:

Happy with Linden announcement, a total class act, met him a few times, worked with him on a project and always a positive experience.

i wish him all the best saving the franchise and getting us out of the Mike Gillis NTC contract hell.

If they bring back the same cast of quitters Linden and the new GM will be in trouble.

Now the real work begins,

Bob Nicholson for GM.

I won't lie. Trev being named president makes me feel good because it's Trevor Linden we're talking about.

What kind of frightens me is how some fans or bandwagoners will look for scapegoats in the wildest of places during difficult moments. And I would really hate for them to tarnish Linden's reputation. Obviously, he's a good guy. He has done a lot for the community. Why does he want to risk it? I have no doubt his heart is in the right place, but sometimes things need to be thought out extra carefully.

As when we got Torts, I kept a positive outlook. I'll do the same now, and probably even more so because of who's president now.

I won't lie. Trev being named president makes me feel good because it's Trevor Linden we're talking about.

What kind of frightens me is how some fans or bandwagoners will look for scapegoats in the wildest of places during difficult moments. And I would really hate for them to tarnish Linden's reputation. Obviously, he's a good guy. He has done a lot for the community. Why does he want to risk it? I have no doubt his heart is in the right place, but sometimes things need to be thought out extra carefully.

As when we got Torts, I kept a positive outlook. I'll do the same now, and probably even more so because of who's president now.

The president of a hockey club doesn't often come under scrutiny though. I worried about it as rumours of him being GM surfaced, but President keeps him insulated, I think. A good move by this organization, finally. I hope he hires a good GM.

Blake

Botterill

Benning

Dudley

Holland?

I told you clowns. Hi deb.

Because there were threads already going and it didn't require a new one - simply an update. Your thread(s) came in 5 hours after this one.

And if you're calling me a clown, I'm not the one pushing to have my own special thread. Follow the rules please/thanks regarding searching for topics and reposting topics that have been locked by mods. :)

Because there were threads already going and it didn't require a new one - simply an update. Your thread(s) came in 5 hours after this one.

And if you're calling me a clown, I'm not the one pushing to have my own special thread. Follow the rules please/thanks regarding searching for topics and reposting topics that have been locked by mods. :)

So very patient. You must be a mother :lol:

The title "President of Hockey Operations" is significant I think in that Trev will have control of all GM, coaching and scouting decisions.

But the title leaves the door open for another Presidents' role, one that would represent the club at the teams' executive level and at the NHL Board level. This is where I possibly see Bob Nicholson or some other high lever executive fitting in. This new model is already in place at many clubs in the league.

This separation would be a very good thing in my view as it would push aquaman further away from any day to day decision making for the club and would assure that there would be little to no ownership meddling in hockey decisions.

The title "President of Hockey Operations" is significant I think in that Trev will have control of all GM, coaching and scouting decisions.

But the title leaves the door open for another Presidents' role, one that would represent the club at the teams' executive level and at the NHL Board level. This is where I possibly see Bob Nicholson or some other high lever executive fitting in. This new model is already in place at many clubs in the league.

This separation would be a very good thing in my view as it would push aquaman further away from any day to day decision making for the club and would assure that there would be little to no ownership meddling in hockey decisions.

putting as many obstacles between ownership and the day to day running of this organization can only be a good thing......a very very very very good thing.

...and because of that a good move to support that lawsuit they made :lol:

It is a good move even if only because the owners have bought themselves a LONG honeymoon period to rebuild the team.

Trevor has accrued a lot of currency of goodwill in this town... it is not infinite, but we could suck for another three years (as long as there is a prospect of hope) and we will forgive him.

Well, say goodbye to all the great no-names that MG picked up for little to nothing. Doesn't matter if the head office reads nicholson, linden, naslund.. unless they lace em up we ain't getting any more skill on the ice. Put AV back behind the bench and he still won't be able to make the sedins skate faster.

We're just not a very good team that had a bad year.

I'll be very interested to see whether or not Linden is also named as one of the the Canucks' Alternate Governors (which would allow him to represent the team at NHL Board of Governors meetings).

Hopefully he is given a seat at the table because if he isn't, it would serious undercut his authority and the meaning of his new title.

I just heard on Team 1040 that Linden has been named Alternate Governor, which bodes well for him being more than just a figurehead and his actually assuming a position with some real teeth.

Interesting discussion on Team 1040 on whether or not the Canucks will also hire an executive president to work above Linden or whether de Bonis is basically assuming that role.

EDIT: I wonder if the Team 1040 guys are lurking on the boards because they seem to be asking the same questions as the posts here (and with suspiciously similar timing).

This is a great day for my Canucks!

My favourite player is now trading the "C" for the "P"!

I'm a Canuck fan to the core, no matter who's in charge, or on the team.

I was supportive of Gillis, I even believed Torts might work out.

Bringing Trevor Linden back has changed my mindset from "WTF?" to "Oh, Hell Yeah!"

Because I honestly believe there is nothing he can't do.

What can I say?

He's my HERO and I couldn't be happier! It's like putting Superman in charge!

Archived