The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] #16 Hinting at A Major Splash on Draft Day? Van-Buff

A young Top 4 D-Man and an 8th OVR is not enough? Overpayment is the last thing we need to do.

Overpayment is the last thing we need to do, but it's exactly what needs to be done to move into a top 3 draft position. Plus while Tanev is a great young D-man he doesn't really have much offensive potential which will hurt his trade value.

Just not that high on Reinhart's upside, would not consider moving Ehlers/Ritchie + Tanev/Horvat for him. Tanev and Horvat are players you win with, these are the type of players which separate teams that take the next step after rebuilding and teams like the Oilers. You can add all the top end talent you want, but you can't win without homegrown 200ft players. I think it's better for us to let Horvat develop in the mold of a ROR, the rebuild or whatever you'd like to call it is just beginning now we'll have other opportunities to draft top line players, and likely in better draft classes too.

Also, yeah Buffalo wouldn't do it either.

No, I just understand how the league works kiddo. If the draft is so "weak" as you call it, then that is more the reason for why Buffalo doesn't give up that pick. The top five or six players in the draft are the elite talent, and there's no way that Buffalo, a team that already has tons of good, yet not elite prospects (With the exception of Risto and Zadorov) are going to let go of that pick for Tanev and Virtanen.

Buffalo doesn't need Tanev, and they don't need Virtanen. They need a player like Sam Reinhart, so yes, it's going to cost a lot to get a top pick in this draft.

Take your proposal to hfboards and see how it's received by Sabres fans and other fans around the league. You might understand then.

Horvat WILL be a better player than Sam Reinhart, kiddo.

Just not that high on Reinhart's upside, would not consider moving Ehlers/Ritchie + Tanev/Horvat for him. Tanev and Horvat are players you win with, these are the type of players which separate teams that take the next step after rebuilding and teams like the Oilers. You can add all the top end talent you want, but you can't win without homegrown 200ft players. I think it's better for us to let Horvat develop in the mold of a ROR, the rebuild or whatever you'd like to call it is just beginning now we'll have other opportunities to draft top line players, and likely in better draft classes too.

Also, yeah Buffalo wouldn't do it either.

True

Horvat WILL be a better player than Sam Reinhart, kiddo.

Will he now? I understand that you're a homer so that's okay if you believe that. Just don't get your hopes up too high, you'll be disappointed. I'll be glad to refresh your memory on this topic in the near future though so remember that.

Just to be clear though, you think Horvat would be the consensus number 1 pick in this years draft? Just want to make sure who I'm talking to here.

To Ana: Kesler

To Van: Ott 1st and Etem or Theodore or Rakell

To Fla: Ott 1st and Van 1st (8th and 9th)

To Van: Fla 1st rounder (2nd)

That's what would work. Simply adding Tanev is not nearly enough. Look at it from Florida or Buffalo's perspective, the drop off from 2-3 is a major one. We're talkng potential franchise player for a top 4 dman and a good prospect? No thank you says Buffalo or Florida. 1st/2nd ovr picks aren't traded too often...

Kesler will get more than 1st + Etem. I recall the ANA GM saying that he made a substantial offer in place for Kesler and I remember it being more like at least 2 1st rounders plus a young player or something like that.

Let's see, who knows? we might win the draft lottery :)

Kesler will get more than 1st + Etem. I recall the ANA GM saying that he made a substantial offer in place for Kesler and I remember it being more like at least 2 1st rounders plus a young player or something like that.Let's see, who knows? we might win the draft lottery :)

Hey is it still the same "4 spot" rule or does every team have a fair chance now?

Kesler will get more than 1st + Etem. I recall the ANA GM saying that he made a substantial offer in place for Kesler and I remember it being more like at least 2 1st rounders plus a young player or something like that.

Let's see, who knows? we might win the draft lottery :)

does how ana go in the playoffs change what Kesler is worth? ie was he worth more before the playoffs since he might have helped them this year, or if say the ducks are a first round exit are they hungrier for a Cup therefore pay more.

Imagine we had 1st overall,

And Ottawa offered us Mark Methot and 8th overall,

Would you do that deal?

Oh, and I suppose OTT throws in the 4th rounder too.

Anyway, I know you're joking so why am I bothering answering this?

I'd say no, because Ottawa doesn't have the 8th overall pick.

If thats all it took to get the first overall, it would be done every year.

Chris Tanev is awesome, but hes just a steady eddy that doesnt bring the physical or offensive intangebles. The 8th overall pick may never be anything more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener. They all have good potential but no guarantess.

Aaron Ekblad is the total package, cornerstone franchise defenseman that can do it all. Ceiling might be best defenseman in the nhl one day. The only possible scenario i could see this working is if its edmonton or someone who may trade down for a specific player like Fleury but even then its a long shot.

I actually proposed on here myself something similar. Trade frankie corrado and the 6th overall(should we get it) to edmonton for 3rd in the event ekblad gets taken. This is based on the assumption they want to draft fleury anyways and can get an extra dman showing signs of making the jump to solid nhler soon. I think the pick would have to be the 6th overall because i dont think they make the trade if theres risk fleury gets taken in the 6 7 or 8th range.

I dont think if we had the 6th id be cool with Tanev in the deal though. Id rather take my chances on someone slipping out of my projected top 5(draisaitl dal colle) and keep chris tanev. If frankie and that pick gets me a guaranteed Reinhart or Bennett though, im all for it.

Honestly, I think we could get top 3 pick. Say the season ends the way it is and we get passed the lottery and Florida has the 3rd overall pick. We have the 8th overall pick. Honestly, I think Florida needs to get some stuff defenceman anyway in this draft. Might as well make a deal with the teams they have made a million and a half deals with, the Vancouver Canucks. If they need a defenceman anyway, they might as well drop five slots and take a defenceman with the 8th overall pick. Say we send them a package of Jordan Schroeder and Zac Dalpe to help their forward depth, and then they can pick someone like Anthony Deangelo with the 8th pick and they walk out the first round with 2 2 young forwards with some offensive potential as long as their not with the Canucks, and get a great blue line prospect they need, while we get the third overall pick. If you still don't think it's fair, then maybe throw in Joacim Erikson who is also a great goaltending prospect. We have to be careful not to overpay too much, but hey, you have to give to get. I think it's inconceivable, Edmonton does not take Ekbald, so that means, we take whoever Buffalo doesn't: Reinhart or Bennett. The trade makes sense for both teams and I think is very possible.

Lol at people trading Horvat, did any of you listen to Linden's presser? Horvat is exactly the player he wants. He wants players who play the right way in all zones the way he played. You overpay to get the 1st pick, if you want to overpay do it next year.

Linden is not the GM, therefore he won't be making any trade at the draft !

Correct he is President of Hockey Operations. Which includes being involved in: Trade evaluations, drafting, player development etc. He may not be the one to make the phone call but you can guarantee he will be largely involved in any trade discussions.

Archived