The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

AV lasted pretty long here and he is the most winningest coach in Canucks history. So am not sure what you are getting at? 7-8 years of coaching one team isn't really a short stint.

I'm saying with all the down years Nashville has had over his tenure when he first started, I'm saying he would've been let go a long time ago. The Preds weren't a competitive team until after the lockout and when they first came into the league, they never made the playoffs up until the lockout so it's surprising that he was kept in Nashville for so long. But it probably came down to both Trotz and Poile's philosophy and how well they worked together which is why their tenure's have been so long in Nashville.

Radulov sulked his way right into the pressbox. Good on Trotz for showing him the way.....back to the USSR. I like the way Trotz works with his players, something that very few coaches can do in todays, what have you done for me lately scheme of things.

Actually Radulov was suspended one game by the team for breaking curfew. He was out drinking with Kostitsyn till 5am with an afternoon game on the same day. After that if I remember correctly the Preds won a game and Trotz never put them back in again. If it had just been sulking, the Preds could have handled it but when a player blatantly breaks team rules in the worst possible way you have no choice but to suspend him. This was the most crucial moment for the Preds in half a decade as they knew their window would pretty much slam shut after Suter left.

I have no sympathy for Radulov, he is one of the worst players of this generation simply because he made it pretty obvious that he had no desire to win. I would not be surprised if the only reason he came back was because his season in the KHL was over and he simply saw an opportunity to burn a year off his RFA eligibility. For me it has nothing to do with his nationality or the fact that he chose the KHL over the NHL. I don't hate Kovalchuk who I think is fantastic player, Radulov on the other hand is the kind of scum that I would never want on my team.

Good riddance to him.

Benning has been involved in alot of trades with the Bruins, but what I was most impressed with is some of the trades they made to acquire depth players.

Campbell and Horton for Wideman, 1st round pick (Forbort), 3rd round pick (Rau)

Seidenberg and Bartowski for Bitz, Weller, and a 2nd (Petrovic)

Meszaros for a 3rd round pick

Redden for a 7th round pick

Khudobin for two nobodies

Paille for a 3rd round pick

Eaves and a 4th for A.Ward

Recchi and a 2nd for Lashoff and Karsums

Boychuk for Hendricks

And when they did make trades to dump players, they were able to get the picks back that they traded for role players.

Tim Thomas for two 2nd round picks

Morris for a 4th round pick (Anthony Camara)

Kobasew for a 2nd round pick (Alex Khokhlachev)

B.Pouliot for a 5th round pick (Seth Griffith)

Marco Sturm for a conditional pick

Alberts for a 4th round pick

They also seemed to make sure they took advantage of the picks they got back for their NHL players. Morris, Kobasew, and Pouliot turned into Camara, Griffith, and Khokhlachev who are all names I'm sure people have heard of. These guys project to be solid NHLers.

Bottom line is, Benning is not afraid to make hockey trades and he seems to be capable of turning mid round picks into solid prospects. And from his track record, he's also able to turn the prospects that don't turn out into more depth players. It's a perfect circle.

So do we owe the Bruins a draft pick for poaching Benning?

No. There isn't any current rule that allows for that, it's just in discussion for future.

What's going on with Doug Houda? One of my Bruins fan friends said in FB "First Benning, now Houda. We're going to have to call them the Vancouver Bruins now?"

I did a quick Google search that produced no helpful results, then scanned CDC to no avail.

Anyone know what he meant?

Nothing, he's the assistant coach in Boston. I haven't heard any rumours that we'll bring him in as head coach just because Benning's here. I think Cassidy's been mentioned, the Providence Bruin's head coach, but it's in passing.

Trevor got his man. Benning is an ex Canuck, familiar with the west coast, brings a winning mentality and tough to beat model, decent drafting ability that the team has never had. Doesn't hurt that Florida won't be our only trading partner moving forward (Benning has lots of connections with the old boys club).

Desjardins Gulutzan and Houda for coaching staff and we are set for the draft...

I have a hard time seeing Pits trading Pouliot: (1) they need help on defence, and (2) would a new GM really come in and trade away a potential Norris D-man for Kesler?

I'd love to have Pouliot but unfortunately don't see it happening.

help on defense?

They've Maata and Pouliot as items to trade on the blue line. Maata is performing now and Pouliot has never suited up. I am sure with martin Maata and Letang on the blueline for years to come they'd not have an issue trading an unknown no matter the potential

help on defense?

They've Maata and Pouliot as items to trade on the blue line. Maata is performing now and Pouliot has never suited up. I am sure with martin Maata and Letang on the blueline for years to come they'd not have an issue trading an unknown no matter the potential

But they also have a great stable of solid D prospects anyway.

Bortuzzo

Dumolin

Depres

Harrington

Samuelsson

But they also have a great stable of solid D prospects anyway.

Bortuzzo

Dumolin

Depres

Harrington

Samuelsson

Agreed, just pointing out the most obvious ones. Losing Pouliot for a Kesler is not a horrible loss for them unless in ten years Pouliot has multiple Norris trophies and a cup win or two under his belt.

Agreed, just pointing out the most obvious ones. Losing Pouliot for a Kesler is not a horrible loss for them unless in ten years Pouliot has multiple Norris trophies and a cup win or two under his belt.

Of course.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. Didn't intend for it to sound otherwise.

Nice to see the Benning things seems to be a formality now :)

That decision might just be taken out of Benning's hands, as TSN reported that Trotz was interviewing for the Capitals job...

Personally, I think there are a few good options. My preference is Stevens, (it was last time around as well) but I would be fine with Trotz as well. The key is not to hire the wrong guy, as we did last season.

I doubt Trotz takes any job before at least talking with Linden/Benning. He may very well still go to the Caps (or elsewhere) but I HIGHLY doubt we lose him by default before even talking to him.

My thinking is that Canucks will have a coach by Thurs and announce the new GM and coach together on Fri

Seriously hope its Trotz. After dealing with ego Russians, I cant see him wanting to deal with the king pin of Russian egos.

That's a good point.

Does he think he can change a player like Ovechkin into a cup winner? He tried it with Radulov and he fled to Russia.

Not saying they're the same type of people, but there is the stigma that Russians are selfish players. He'll also have Kuznetsov and Orlov there to try and mold too.

If Trotz is hired, I hope the Canucks look at acquiring Ward from Washington.

He'd be a great addition to the second line IMO. Put up 25 goals last season and comes cheap at 3 million. He played great under Trotz too, especially in the playoffs.

That's a good point.

Does he think he can change a player like Ovechkin into a cup winner? He tried it with Radulov and he fled to Russia.

Not saying they're the same type of people, but there is the stigma that Russians are selfish players. He'll also have Kuznetsov and Orlov there to try and mold too.

and when Trotz benches Ovie or cuts his icetime... I truely feel for any coach worth his salt going to Wash.

Archived