The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

the Luongo and Schneider trade are way too early to tell: fact.

Luongo forced Gillis to move Schneider during the draft: non fact

then Luongo got pissy and wanted to move again when another goalie outplayed him: non fact

he gets what he wants and screws the team again: ??? I think Gillis pooched that one... Luongo didn't trade himself.

he could of easily accepted a trade during the draft Schneider got moved instead: non fact. Florida wasn't interested at the time.

he was stubborn and would only accept a trade to Florida: fact

so he doesn't have to deal with the spot light because he couldn't handle anymore: assumption

So yes, there's a lot of wrong with the dude's post.

Luongo wanted out it was him or Schneider and then Luongo STILL wanted out so he was moved immediately saving us a ton of cap space and sharing the cap recapture penalty bringing in two pieces of a Florida team that the entire CDC had been asking about or wanting for almost 2 seasons: FACT

Luongo was being traded no matter what, look at all the reports speculation analysts and his entire attitude about it: FACT

Luongo didn't get the start in the Heritage classic and 300 cameras in BC place showed how pissed off he was and then the rumours and all of the conjecture about him leaving kicked in to overdrive, he was in fact paced and then out played for a while by Lack: FACT

Luongo had been the subject of trade rumours and had Dreger and TSN absolutely BURY his value, while he himself helped bury it by constantly complaining about his huge contract which NOBODY forced him to sign yet by all reports was the only way he would sign in Vancouver that worked with the cap that was in place. He wasn't forced out and in all honesty NOBODY was giving up anymore than Florida did with the goalies who are/were available on the market still to this day, Luongo didn't trade himself, but he held his NTC and dictated where he was going and then basically buried his value: FACT

He could have accepted a trade? Do you know for a fact he wasn't asked? Was Jersey or ANYONE else interested in Luongo over Schnieder? I am sorry remind me again how the cap would have worked without buying one of them or someone else out when the league decided to retroactively ONLY punish vancouver for the retirement or Luongo contracts? I don't see Boston or Phiili or Chicago being punished for Savard Pronger or Huet. Hossa Zetterburg and the like no issues there either, ALL about the "Luongo" contract. Gillis moved the only available piece because again, all reports dictated NOBODy was buying on Luonog and ownership was not writing a cheque that big: FACT

He was stubborn and only accepted a trade to Florida after by rumours the Toronto deal was shot down which means he had literally NO value. None, none at all so be happy getting back Matthias and Markstrom, two pieces CDC threads had been after for a long time. FACT

He doesn't have to deal with the spot light anymore because nobody in the sports world gives a rats ass about hockey in Florida if it is not based around Stamkos or the Bolts. He is home with wife kid and family and all he has to do is show up game in and game out and nobody will ever mention him outside of highlight reel saves: FACT

So yes there is stuff wrong with the post, but not the one you're complaining about. But yours

Luongo wanted out it was him or Schneider and then Luongo STILL wanted out so he was moved immediately saving us a ton of cap space and sharing the cap recapture penalty bringing in two pieces of a Florida team that the entire CDC had been asking about or wanting for almost 2 seasons: FACT

Luongo was being traded no matter what, look at all the reports speculation analysts and his entire attitude about it: FACT

Luongo didn't get the start in the Heritage classic and 300 cameras in BC place showed how pissed off he was and then the rumours and all of the conjecture about him leaving kicked in to overdrive, he was in fact paced and then out played for a while by Lack: FACT

Luongo had been the subject of trade rumours and had Dreger and TSN absolutely BURY his value, while he himself helped bury it by constantly complaining about his huge contract which NOBODY forced him to sign yet by all reports was the only way he would sign in Vancouver that worked with the cap that was in place. He wasn't forced out and in all honesty NOBODY was giving up anymore than Florida did with the goalies who are/were available on the market still to this day, Luongo didn't trade himself, but he held his NTC and dictated where he was going and then basically buried his value: FACT

He could have accepted a trade? Do you know for a fact he wasn't asked? Was Jersey or ANYONE else interested in Luongo over Schnieder? I am sorry remind me again how the cap would have worked without buying one of them or someone else out when the league decided to retroactively ONLY punish vancouver for the retirement or Luongo contracts? I don't see Boston or Phiili or Chicago being punished for Savard Pronger or Huet. Hossa Zetterburg and the like no issues there either, ALL about the "Luongo" contract. Gillis moved the only available piece because again, all reports dictated NOBODy was buying on Luonog and ownership was not writing a cheque that big: FACT

He was stubborn and only accepted a trade to Florida after by rumours the Toronto deal was shot down which means he had literally NO value. None, none at all so be happy getting back Matthias and Markstrom, two pieces CDC threads had been after for a long time. FACT

He doesn't have to deal with the spot light anymore because nobody in the sports world gives a rats ass about hockey in Florida if it is not based around Stamkos or the Bolts. He is home with wife kid and family and all he has to do is show up game in and game out and nobody will ever mention him outside of highlight reel saves: FACT

So yes there is stuff wrong with the post, but not the one you're complaining about. But yours

Sure thing bud.

When Pittsburgh fired Shero before Benning signed I was starting to get a little worried that they would swoop in and steal him away from us at the last second. Pittsburgh definetely has a more appealing roster than us.

So glad they didnt, Benning seems like the guy who has the stones to make critical trades when he needs to and not wait forever then panicking at the last second just to get burned on the trade.

Cant really say how good he will be until he makes enough moves so that we can say this is his roster and not MG's.

Then see how they perform. Still I am excited to get a new actual GM and get rid of Players Agent Gillis.

We had a good run but now its Bennings turn and I hope for the best!

Go Canucks!!

Sure thing bud.

You got nothing, because the post you were replying to was right. I am right.

Ballard was a shade of an overpayment, ONLY in retrospect and only based off of 1 single decent season by Grabner, Booth was had for a Samuelsson who missed almost a season+ with stomach issues and a Sturm on 2 bad knees who retired shortly after from the NHL, Ehrhoff wasn't given what he wanted and Bieksa was the better leader so for half a million Ehrhoff went o his best chance at a cup and a 10 year contract in Buffalo.

So, sure thing bud.

MG was the one that forced MG to trade Schnieder. No one else was responsible got that debaucle.

Similarily Ballard should have also been traded 3 years ago and Luongo should have been gone in the summer after he indicated he wanted or would be willing to be moved. No one in their right mind keeps $9 million on the bench in the cap era.

The Heritage Classic did not force MG to trade Lou. He did that on his own.

You mean the booth deal where we ditched two old players and also picked up a 3rd which we used to draft Cassels, I'd make that deal any day. even with Booth going through the injuries.

Gillis tied up $19m of Aqua man's dough for a brain injured player that continued to suffer injuries as a Canuck.

That deal helped shut the window by denying Kes a second line winger when blowing the remaining available cap space on a multtiple,severely concussed player.

Gillis also recieved 35 year old Reinprecht in that deal,a player that never played in the NHL again,while paying out $2.175 m to ditch him in Chicago.

$21m for a third liner and a third rounder.

Gillis tied up $19m of Aqua man's dough for a brain injured player that continued to suffer injuries as a Canuck.

That deal helped shut the window by denying Kes a second line winger when blowing the remaining available cap space on a multtiple,severely concussed player.

Gillis also recieved 35 year old Reinprecht in that deal,a player that never played in the NHL again,while paying out $2.175 m to ditch him in Chicago.

In defence of Booth and Gillis..His concussion history has never been an issue since he has been a Canuck..It's been other injuries.

not to mention that samuelsson was a crucial voice in the dressing room.

i personally believe that the treatment of samuelsson, malhotra, luongo and schneider were the primary reasons for the leadership group of this team checking out.

Looking at it this way, not very Moneypuck is it...

I would also include Ballard in there that further handicapped the team in cap space, thereby preventing different pieces to the Canucks equation to be added for a push.

To me, the main notable mistake Gillis did, is by indecision and hesitation. Successful people make decisions quick. A Schneider/ Luongo decision was never made. in 2010, Luongo went on to win the gold medal and was the top NHL goaltender not named Thomas and that's because the Bruins were healthy going into the Stanley Cup Final while the Canucks weren't.

Schneider should have been traded the following summer. Luongo had signed his long-term contract in 2010, making him the Canucks goaltender for the next decade. By 2011, Schneider and the Canucks were at the height of their value and the returns on a Schneider trade at the time would have been greater than a 9th pick two years later. Having had played 25 games in the 2011 campaign, combined with the Canucks' run to the top, Schneider was then a very hot commodity.

Lose Schneider, lose the entire goaltender controversy that ensued.

Indecision by Gillis created the greatest clusterf*ck this team has ever seen.

not to mention that samuelsson was a crucial voice in the dressing room.

i personally believe that the treatment of samuelsson, malhotra, luongo and schneider were the primary reasons for the leadership group of this team checking out.

I think it was mostly Torts but your right the core is old and soft. Torts was lousy for this team. Kesler hated him and im sure Edler and Burrows werent far behind. We were faltering before Torts as well though(example being sharks and kings destroying us in the playoffs) Torts was just the final dagger. We seriously need to rebuild. I hope Benning and Linden were just being media savvy and they know this. If they dont they should watch the last 3 seasons over again.

CDC logic

Blame Gillis for trading for a player that has had an injury in his past.....

Freak out when he lets the injury riddled 37 Salo sign with Tampa.

Looking at it this way, not very Moneypuck is it...

I would also include Ballard in there that further handicapped the team in cap space, thereby preventing different pieces to the Canucks equation to be added for a push.

To me, the main notable mistake Gillis did, is by indecision and hesitation. Successful people make decisions quick. A Schneider/ Luongo decision was never made. in 2010, Luongo went on to win the gold medal and was the top NHL goaltender not named Thomas and that's because the Bruins were healthy going into the Stanley Cup Final while the Canucks weren't.

Schneider should have been traded the following summer. Luongo had signed his long-term contract in 2010, making him the Canucks goaltender for the next decade. By 2011, Schneider and the Canucks were at the height of their value and the returns on a Schneider trade at the time would have been greater than a 9th pick two years later. Having had played 25 games in the 2011 campaign, combined with the Canucks' run to the top, Schneider was then a very hot commodity.

Lose Schneider, lose the entire goaltender controversy that ensued.

Indecision by Gillis created the greatest clusterf*ck this team has ever seen.

Yeah his whopping 39 NHL games would have made him an extremely hot commodity. What did Bernier get in his deal? Wait when has there ever been a 25 year old goalie with less than 50 NHL games get more than a top 10 pick? It doesn't happen. But you keep dreaming..

Sammuellson trade was when the wheels came off.

The guy is why kesler was in beast mode and we trade him for a project like it was nothing

I liked Sammuellson but he started getting hurt a lot... just like Booth. Trade a piece of china and get a piece of china back.

Samuelsson missed like the entire season when he was traded due to abdominal issues...after that he did exactly nothing. The air of expectancy is what keeps this team from progressing. Domination of the NW league for so long we don't know how to accept failure and adjust.

And under Gillis we never moved on.

Time to move on

Sammuellson trade was when the wheels came off.

The guy is why kesler was in beast mode and we trade him for a project like it was nothing

Yeah - the 3 points he scored in 26 games this year would have really helped the Canucks blow the doors off the Pacific division.

The 32 points he has since 2011 are just a devastating loss to the franchise.

You have the benefit of hindsight - and yet it's an utter mystery how the Samuelsson trade is lamented so irrationally.

Yeah - the 3 points he scored in 26 games this year would have really helped the Canucks blow the doors off the Pacific division.

The 32 points he has since 2011 are just a devastating loss to the franchise.

You have the benefit of hindsight - and yet it's an utter mystery how the Samuelsson trade is lamented so irrationally.

18 points in 23 playoff games in a nucks uni

Then one injury and we waste 3 more years on Booth. It's impossible to know if Sammuelson would have rebounded here, but I think he would have and the Booth and Erhoff mistakes are why we suck now.

Archived