The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Notes I've got off the talks:

- Benning has a lot of emphasis on playing 4 lines where all 4 lines contribute and a 6 defenseman team. Specifically wants the first 2 lines to be the more skilled lines and the 3rd+4th to be the more physical taking the load off the first 2 lines. Wants the bottom 2 lines to have zone time, aggressive forecheck, checking, that type of thing.

- Team lacks physicality JB said, the 3rd and 4th lines. Wants them to be a bigger factor.

- Thinks very highly of Bo Horvat and generally last years draft class. Pleased there is so much leadership with the veterans and youngsters.

- Hopes Eddie Lack can take the next leap to take the crease without concern. Hope he comes to camp ready in shape and proves he can take the job.

- Want Kesler to stay, will talk to him after.

- Will ask players to waive their NTC's if there is a move in place, will not hesitate to do so.

- Feels he can quickly turn things around here. Thinks highly of the core and will evolve around them.

- Wants more depth on the team.

- A coach that allows the players to be creative on the offensive to create scoring chances but without the puck also have a structured style in place so players are not lost and know what to do.

- Will head down to Toronto on Monday for the draft combine to interview the prospects and after will do the coach interviews.

- JB will watch Junior games and Minor League games to see the next generation players. Drafting is in his blood and will help the current scouts by directing them on what to do.

- A coach that allows the players to be creative on the offensive to create scoring chances but without the puck also have a structured style in place so players are not lost and know what to do.

So in other words, the same thing every other GM wants. I wouldn't have figured that....

Maybe we can bring his Dad, Elmer into our scouting staff.

Finally a draft and development GM. A guy who knows what to look for. I don't care if he fumbles in the media. As long as he builds this team into a champion, he can stomp on our logo, or do whatever he wants.

Benning definitely doesn't have a good media presence. Still, considering Gilles always looked like Nixon being questioned about Watergate when he was interviewed, it's big step up!

Realistically, I could care less if Benning happened to be the least charismatic man who ever walked the planet. If he can give us a quick turn around, while building for the future, I'll be a happy guy.

I missed the beginning, did anyone ask Jim if he interviewed with any other teams?

No.

The only question regarding "others" went to Linden. Apparently there were other candidates interviewed too. Nothing on Benning being interviewed by other organizations.

Benning definitely doesn't have a good media presence. Still, considering Gilles always looked like Nixon being questioned about Watergate when he was interviewed, it's big step up!

Realistically, I could care less if Benning happened to be the least charismatic man who ever walked the planet. If he can give us a quick turn around, while building for the future, I'll be a happy guy.

That's why they hired Linden. Linden deals with the media. Benning does the grunt work. Perfect combo. Especially since Linden is used to the stupid questions the Vancouver media asks.

That's why they hired Linden. Linden deals with the media. Benning does the grunt work. Perfect combo. Especially since Linden is used to the stupid questions the Vancouver media asks.

Oh for sure! I'm more excited about our management team than I have been since 2012.

Archived