The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Some folks here will blame the next Tsunami on Gillis just so they can maintain 'position' .. :P

In a way, it reminds me of the complaining about AV we used to see on a daily basis...

"Too much line juggling! Let the guys develop some chemistry!"....followed closely by another amateur coach saying "Typical AV! Same old same old! Never tries anything different!"...

Gillis left us a prospect pool. Nonis did not. So pretty sure this 'long-term damage' isn't as bad as you think.

Meanwhile, it doesn't matter who the GM is when the core ages. There will be a downturn no matter what.

Meanwhile, Edler was a top-pairing guy for Team Sweden? Maybe he's not one of the worst d-men in the NHL.

Exactly, wow some logic on CDC. Im not saying Edler played well for the canucks the last 2 seasons because he hasnt. He obviously didnt mesh well with Torts and trading a player when his stock is at an all time low isnt brilliant either. He had a serious back surgery and it takes time to fully recover from that. Any of you guys had serious surgery before? Trading the guy for a bag of pucks is just like trading Bieksa for a 2nd rounder a few years ago, after his achillies tendon surgeries a lot of people wanted his head.

The epitome of a bell curve. Terrific in his first 3 years and then all down hill. His role as a player agent definitely compromised his judgement. That signing was so unbelievably stupid. It just explemplified MG's stubborn, eogtistical God complex behavior in that he couldn't let any player go because he was also acting as everyone's agent. In a perfect world we all get NTC's and live on the beach but even the little babies that make $5 million dollars a year should have to try in life every once in a while. I hope to hell that country club is gone.

Unless of course you can do simple math in your head and realize this is hockey and not a stock market portfolio, then you realize it doesn't matter and just fix the problem. Keeping a player that you don't want on your roster for a year or 3, in order to maximize value, is just plain dumb.

Ok well is Benning dumb then? Im pretty sure the Bruins offered Gillis a package for Edler near the deadline.

Hopefully this new GM drafts and trades for Russians. Russians are what the Canucks need badly. Pavel Bure hello!?!?!??!!?!? Igor Larionov???!?!?!?!?! Mogilny?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Mike Gillis' biggest failure was not drafting Russians!!!! Nichushkin would be our best player right now!

Hopefully this new GM drafts and trades for Russians. Russians are what the Canucks need badly. Pavel Bure hello!?!?!??!!?!? Igor Larionov???!?!?!?!?! Mogilny?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Mike Gillis' biggest failure was not drafting Russians!!!! Nichushkin would be our best player right now!

Captain hindsight over here. Drafting based on nationality seems logical. Let's also ignore the fact that russians run the risk of bolting to the KHL with bags of money luring them back home.

It's not like the deals he offered a number of the players (Ehrhoff particularly....) were complete low balls. They were fair as a re-signing offer on a top team trying to maintain it's talent.

But then this is a thread about Benning, not Gillis...

Gillis was $2-$2.5 million off on his offer to Ehrhoff.There was nothing fair about it.

When you get it together you can get past apologising for Gillis.

The one thing that stuck out at me from the video was Higgins, and both Sedins are working out in Canuck facilities as Benning walks in. That's gold. That's the players you want. It seems Benning was impressed too.

The one thing that stuck out at me from the video was Higgins, and both Sedins are working out in Canuck facilities as Benning walks in. That's gold. That's the players you want. It seems Benning was impressed too.

You mention the Sedins and Higgins, but omitted Edler...granted, Edler hasn't played well the past few seasons and I've laid out my fair share of Edler criticism, but he looks to be working every bit as hard as the Sedins and Higgins. Sometimes you gotta give a little credit where it's due...kudos to Edler for banging away in the gym with some of the boys.

Firstly, any player that Boston wants, I would hold onto.

We should be very wary of judging a player when he and the team are having a hard time. We all know what a fit and on form Edler is like, we need to hope our new coach gets him back there.

I had no time for the way Tortorella publicly humiliated him on the bench either. Something like that does not go down well with the rest of his team mates. He did the same with Hansen. That should be done behind closed doors where the player has an opportunity to speak in his defence.

For all of Tortorella's talk of "protecting" his players, I'm afraid actions speak louder than words. He was found out much quicker here than in New York, thank goodness for that.

We need to assess the players on this team under a more "stable" coach otherwise we are likely to enhance other teams at our own expense.

Anyway I think Benning knows he needs to make things happen here, from the get go and for that reason I am sure he is pouring over the dvds and stats of every player on the roster with a view to establishing an idea of who fits with his ideas and who doesn't.

In my opinion, Gillis gave us 3 years of expectation culminating in abject misery.

It is worth noting just how good a team we had in 2011. Did he appreciate how good it was or was he swayed by the mountain of Canucks fans and media so disillusioned by entitlement that he thought he had to start tinkering with it and ultimately almost destroy it.

He never seemed to have a plan, worse still he never seemed to act decisively while others around him knew what they wanted and achieved it. Gradually the team just withered through poor judgement, poor recruitment, poor farm team development and poor drafting.

Not surprisingly AV eventually lost his way and was made a scapegoat for Gillis to have one more throw of the dice. We all know what happened with that.

I will welcome Benning, if as I suspect, he has a plan and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. That approach will be so refreshing for this organisation.

In my opinion, Gillis gave us 3 years of expectation culminating in abject misery.

It is worth noting just how good a team we had in 2011. Did he appreciate how good it was or was he swayed by the mountain of Canucks fans and media so disillusioned by entitlement that he thought he had to start tinkering with it and ultimately almost destroy it.

He never seemed to have a plan, worse still he never seemed to act decisively while others around him knew what they wanted and achieved it. Gradually the team just withered through poor judgement, poor recruitment, poor farm team development and poor drafting.

Not surprisingly AV eventually lost his way and was made a scapegoat for Gillis to have one more throw of the dice. We all know what happened with that.

I will welcome Benning, if as I suspect, he has a plan and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. That approach will be so refreshing for this organisation.

To be honest you don`t just snap your fingers and instantly have a farm team. We had a good one in Winnipeg that developed players but once the Jets took over they had to move quickly. Chicago was a bad move but Utica was a good one and you can see the results.

To be honest you don`t just snap your fingers and instantly have a farm team. We had a good one in Winnipeg that developed players but once the Jets took over they had to move quickly. Chicago was a bad move but Utica was a good one and you can see the results.

Agreed, having our own farm team is going to pay huge dividends for us long term. Better than signing a premier free agent in my opinion

Yeah I agree %100. Wasn't that Edler too? I watched it on my phone and couldn't quite tell. Good video post Vintage, as usual.

Archived