The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stephane Quintel to assume Shanny's role of VP Players Safety

@SNHockeyCentral:

NHL announces Stephane Quintal assuming Shanahan's role of conducting player safety hearings and administering discipline.

...anyone know who he is and his reputation? :huh: All I know is he's a former 1st overall pick of the Bruins so don't be surprised if the B's continue to get free passes. Other than that I have no idea who this guy is.

He was a solid defensive defenseman in the 90's, nothing spectacular but very dependable, although slow as hell by today's standards. Think a better version of Ryan Stanton for a comparable style of player. Not sure what he's been up to since but I'm sure that will be filled in shortly. Can't be worse than Murphy.

...anyone know who he is and his reputation? :huh: All I know is he's a former 1st overall pick of the Bruins so don't be surprised if the B's continue to get free passes. Other than that I have no idea who this guy is.

He also played for St.Louis, Montreal, Chicago, New York and Winnipeg. Will they all get free passes too?

He spend the majority and the later part of his career with the Habs, so if anything he should be anti-Bruin :frantic:

No I would prefer the guy there to see it through the playoffs.

Except he has a new job with an NHL club. Even though that club isn't going to the playoffs, it would have been a bigger joke if he remained in the position during the playoffs.

Except he has a new job with an NHL club. Even though that club isn't going to the playoffs, it would have been a bigger joke if he remained in the position during the playoffs.

Which gets to my main point. What exactly was the rush for Shanny to take that TO job anyway? Esp. when he's essentially a figurehead. He could/should have stayed at his old position until the playoffs were over.

He was a solid defenseman in the 90s and early 2000's. You must be a kid if you haven't heard of him. I remember him as more of a Hab, so I doubt the Bruins will get any free passes.

Better have his eyeglass prescription renewed and firmly in place.

Hoping for a little more consistency ... Shanny started out ok, then obviously felt the pull of the strings.

We'll see. Fingers crossed that things even out a bit.

Which gets to my main point. What exactly was the rush for Shanny to take that TO job anyway? Esp. when he's essentially a figurehead. He could/should have stayed at his old position until the playoffs were over.

That's not really Toronto's concern. Their season is over. If they had waited, maybe someone else would have offered him a job first. As far as I know, there's no rule against hiring people during the season.

I don't see this as anything more than an inconvenience. I don't think that bringing in Quintal signals any kind of new direction. In theory, it should be business as usual in the player safety department.

With Brendan Shanahan stepping down as Senior VP of Player Safety, the NHL's player-discipline department will be undergoing a few changes. Stephane Quintal will assume the role of conducting hearings and administering supplementary discipline for the balance of the regular season and throughout the upcoming Stanley Cup Playoffs. However, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly will now be more involved and will have the final say on suspensions. Brian Leetch and Patrick Burke will stay in their current roles with Player Safety while the Department of Player Safety's mission statement remains unchanged: "We are committed to making the game as safe as possible for our players while preserving the intensely physical, competitive and passionate nature of hockey."

Maybe the fact that if he didn't take the job, it would have gone to someone else.

A job here is a job anywhere. Take it, or someone else gets it and you're wondering "what if." Shanny shouldn't have had to stay at his old position, much like any project manager shouldn't have to finish his assignment before leaving the company.

Archived