The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have only about $5.6 million to spend on free agents under projected salary cap

The Stork

Judging by our March-April play:

-Kesler's pretty much gone unless Linden waves a magic wand.

-Higgins may go as well. If not, he should not be playing 20mins a freakin' night.

-Hansen is a special teams/ checking player. Not a horrendous contract, but the guy cannot score. I'd consider getting rid of him too.

-Burrows and Kassian take too many damn penalties. Get them to stop that crap or get rid of them.

-Matthias doesn't score enough to be anything but a 3rd liner, tops.

-Jensen can and will be good. But I think he'll be traded if indeed we're still trying to win now. Turnover machines don't win.

-Daniel Sedin may be expired. I certainly hope not. If that's the case, then goodbye remaining Sedin window.

-Booth needs to go. Simply too much money for a 3rd liner.

-Weber gonzo.

-Schroeder needs to prove he's an NHLer. He may not become one.

-Ditto Dalpe. Looks like a spare part.

-Sestito is a goon. If he's in the lineup, we're not all that good.

-Archibald and Stanton are projects.

-Garrison lacks a pmd partner.

-Edler is playing like he wants to be traded.

-Hamhuis and Bieksa should not be carrying the offensive load from the back end.

-We need a pmd?!!

-Santo is fairly brittle.

-Lack and Markstrom are projects.

If Linden sees all this, then he sees that we're not close. It's going to take years to build a contender again. Should be interesting to see how he reacts.

I give both Kassian and Tanev 8 year 32 mil dollar deals. Get it out of the way. Pay them a little more now when we have unwanted cap space so when we are contenders they are making less than they would get on the open market.

We would be making a mistake to try to fill the cap space with overpaid UFAs. The team is simply not good enough.

For starters, We have a brand new goalie who is not capable of winning a cup for us yet. Not until he is 28 to 30. His back up is actually more talented than he but he needs years of nurturing as well.

The twins cannot carry us to a stanley cup. They are 70 point guys and mentors now. Our defense is solid but not spectacular. Without Ryan Kesler the team does not compete for the cup at all. There is no way to replace what he does for the team. Hopefully Horvat will one day.

Lets clear out the dead wood, try to get as many prospects as we can and move forward in a new direction. Hopefully to a lottery pick in the ultra rich 2015 draft.

If Linden sees all this, then he sees that we're not close. It's going to take years to build a contender again. Should be interesting to see how he reacts.

- I think Kesler has more confidence in the team & more interest in staying now that Linden is in charge.

-Higgins may go as well. If not, he should not be playing 20mins a freakin' night.

- Shouldn't trade Higgins, and I would rather see the time spread out so no one plays 20 mins normally (except maybe Kesler) keeps everyone fresh, spreads out opportunity & I think would add more scoring at the end of the day

-Hansen is a special teams/ checking player. Not a horrendous contract, but the guy cannot score. I'd consider getting rid of him too.

-Burrows and Kassian take too many damn penalties. Get them to stop that crap or get rid of them.

- Hansen has been terrible, he's best in a third line role not 2nd line, thats where he should be.

- Burrows & Kass are fine IMO, both have been among our better forwards in this latest stretch. And we need more from them. (Kass to be more consistent, Burr to get back to his old ways)

-Jensen can and will be good. But I think he'll be traded if indeed we're still trying to win now. Turnover machines don't win.

Matthias has more to bring, his season has been underwhelming offensively after what he did last year, Im optimistic he can bring more next year now that he will be settled in.

Jensen is young, rookies make mistakes, he's still learning. We shouldn't be trying to make moves like that so we can "win now" because we don't have the team for it. We need young players right now & trading him would be a mistake as he looks like he might be able to jump into a top 6 or top 9 role next year.

-Hamhuis and Bieksa should not be carrying the offensive load from the back end.

-We need a pmd?!!

I don't think a PMD partner is going to improve for Garrison being inconsistencies defensively. He's just got to be better.

We do need a PMD, Hamhuis & Bieksa don't do it, Edler hasn't been rushing the puck and jumping in the play as much this year like he could (and that might be partly a coaching thing) so I do agree we need to bring someone in.

-Weber gonzo.

I think we should bring Weber back he has been very good in his role.

Schroeder hasn't looked like the same player as he was before, isn't doing as much with the puck as he showed when he first broke in to the league and thats what we need from him. I think a full summer could help him out.

Dalpe I would keep, he's still a depth player at this point so I don't see the gain in cutting ties with him at this stage, give him another year to develop, see if he's any better, if not then revisit that next year.

-Archibald and Stanton are projects/

Lack is a starter IMO, not a project. Markstrom I agree on, he's still a backup who's learning.

Stanton is still fairly inexperienced, showed good at moments this year, I think he just needs to continue to get better in the role he's in, though I don't see much upside in him past the 3rd pair.

Archibald is just a depth guy at this stage, if he can become a good 4th liner we should be happy with him.

And I think Sestito is a better player than he gets credit for. Ya he fights but he can do things in the corners & use his body well. He can be a contributing part of this team when its having success IMO.

- I think Kesler has more confidence in the team & more interest in staying now that Linden is in charge.

- Shouldn't trade Higgins, and I would rather see the time spread out so no one plays 20 mins normally (except maybe Kesler) keeps everyone fresh, spreads out opportunity & I think would add more scoring at the end of the day

- Hansen has been terrible, he's best in a third line role not 2nd line, thats where he should be.

- Burrows & Kass are fine IMO, both have been among our better forwards in this latest stretch. And we need more from them. (Kass to be more consistent, Burr to get back to his old ways)

Matthias has more to bring, his season has been underwhelming offensively after what he did last year, Im optimistic he can bring more next year now that he will be settled in.

Jensen is young, rookies make mistakes, he's still learning. We shouldn't be trying to make moves like that so we can "win now" because we don't have the team for it. We need young players right now & trading him would be a mistake as he looks like he might be able to jump into a top 6 or top 9 role next year.

I don't think a PMD partner is going to improve for Garrison being inconsistencies defensively. He's just got to be better.

We do need a PMD, Hamhuis & Bieksa don't do it, Edler hasn't been rushing the puck and jumping in the play as much this year like he could (and that might be partly a coaching thing) so I do agree we need to bring someone in.

I think we should bring Weber back he has been very good in his role.

Schroeder hasn't looked like the same player as he was before, isn't doing as much with the puck as he showed when he first broke in to the league and thats what we need from him. I think a full summer could help him out.

Dalpe I would keep, he's still a depth player at this point so I don't see the gain in cutting ties with him at this stage, give him another year to develop, see if he's any better, if not then revisit that next year.

Lack is a starter IMO, not a project. Markstrom I agree on, he's still a backup who's learning.

Stanton is still fairly inexperienced, showed good at moments this year, I think he just needs to continue to get better in the role he's in, though I don't see much upside in him past the 3rd pair.

Archibald is just a depth guy at this stage, if he can become a good 4th liner we should be happy with him.

And I think Sestito is a better player than he gets credit for. Ya he fights but he can do things in the corners & use his body well. He can be a contributing part of this team when its having success IMO.

I agree Sestito is a good solid 4th line guy. When with the right guys on the ice he can score clutch goals. And Markstrom is a process. If he's struggling he can be sent to Utica if he has a two way contract. If not then he's stuck with the big boys. Bright future for the Young swede maybe a future Lundquist? Who knows lol

-Daniel Sedin may be expired. I certainly hope not. If that's the case, then goodbye remaining Sedin window.

-Weber gonzo.

-We need a pmd?!!

You just ripped the whole team go back to cheering for leafs

This article is incorrect Cap geek says we have 10 mil in space including jensen and zalewskis contract next yr which means we actual have 11.5 mill in cap space if we buy out booths contract Thats 15.75 mill plenty of space to sign a few free agents and resign kassian.

Tanev and hansen (before his ntc kicks in) could be packaged for a tough mobile puck moving dman

Higgins could be moved for picks to islanders or rangers he is from nyc.

Our goalies combined salary include loungos 800k is only 3.15m compared to nyrs at 9.1

Hopefully a bunch of rookies force canucks hand at keeping them up

Horvat, gaunce, jensen, kenins, shinkaruk, corrado, fox, cassels, stanton, lack all on cheap as contracts

I don't see any of our top 4 d agreeing to be traded. We are stuck with them all. Hansen will rebound once torts is gone. He has always been appreciated around cdc until this year. Do we dump a player for one bad year when it's a strong possibility it was the coach. We can't replace him anyway for the same salary. Same goes for Higgins. The only viable options i see for this team is cheap youth and using booths money and our other available cap space for a top six scorer like vanek

Pretty sure we can trade Booth for at least a late draft pick... maybe retain a little bit of salary to make it appealing.

Trade Kesler to the Ducks/ Pens.

Then use our money and offer Statsny 7 million per 7 years

Question is will we have enough cap space to sign Stastny if we DON'T trade Kesler...

-Weber gonzo.

-We need a pmd?!!

Lol. Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Please kindly look at the UFA list this year. It's pretty weak and bleak, even if you had the cap room, there's not much to spend it on unless you want Dany Heatly.

I'd take a chance in Danny Heatly for a 1 year contract. Nothing to crazy maybe 2-4 million range. Not like there are a lot of good UFA players to go after and if it doesn't work out he's off the books next year. If it does you get 20+ goals and a decent second line winger to play with the twins or kesler.

Well buy out booth and we got another 4.25.

I'll be really surprised if we buy out Booth. He hasn't played up to his contract but he makes the third line. Besides that just because we can buy him out doesn't mean the owner is interested in taking a 4.25 mill hit.

If you want to see how much cap space we have, you have to slot in players... because for every person you sign, you also use up a roster spot and may have to move someone else.

Here is a "sample" roster showing that we can spend a decent amount of money... in this example we buy out Booth and trade away Edler... you could also make one up trading away Kesler.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.500m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.250m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Chris Tanev ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jaroslav Halak ($4.500m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,848,611; BONUSES: $858,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $251,389

Archived