The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have only about $5.6 million to spend on free agents under projected salary cap

The Stork

I keep hearing that the Canucks need to bring in a veteran goalie which is a good idea but I'm wondering how close Markstrom is to having to become waiver eligible.

He signed his first contract May 2010 so I'm thinking he should have another year, anyone know for sure?

If you want to see how much cap space we have, you have to slot in players... because for every person you sign, you also use up a roster spot and may have to move someone else.

Here is a "sample" roster showing that we can spend a decent amount of money... in this example we buy out Booth and trade away Edler... you could also make one up trading away Kesler.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.500m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.250m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jaroslav Halak ($4.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m15.00%)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,848,611; BONUSES: $858,333

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $251,389

The problem with this though is that the cap isn't going up to 71.1 and we likely won't buy out Booth. Also Vanek likely will not sign here.

The only free agent I would really want, if he even makes it to free agency, is Iginla. Aside from that, we have to try to get rid of some plugs. We have too many third line players acting like they are top six players. Might as well just put our prospects in those roles.

And no, guys like Santorelli do not deserve more than $2 million next year. Either re-sign him for $1 million, or let him go. Enough with giving these tweeners big contracts only to be stuck with them when they stop performing.

Vanek? Good Lord no.

I hope we don't buy out Booth because keeping him brings us closer to McDavid.

A couple things.... first I clearly noted it was a sample of what we COULD spend because people were suggesting we couldn't really bring in any players. It wasn't a suggested roster.

The second thing... your idea of tanking a whole season to get a slight chance at an unproven prospect who has never player am NHL game is ridiculously simple minded.

I totally disgaree. I would give both 2 easily if need be. (And Santo 2.5)

Tanev is worth more than 2.5 & Markstrom is worth less than 2.

Matthias still has a year on his deal per elvis15 but he's probably not worht 2 million either way, atleast in what he's shown so far.

Kassian nor Santorelli is worth more than nick bonino who makes 1.9M next year

If you want to see how much cap space we have, you have to slot in players... because for every person you sign, you also use up a roster spot and may have to move someone else.

Here is a "sample" roster showing that we can spend a decent amount of money... in this example we buy out Booth and trade away Edler... you could also make one up trading away Kesler.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.500m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.250m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS

Jaroslav Halak ($4.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

------

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,848,611; BONUSES: $858,333

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $251,389

Bro, Kassian's not going to be resigned for less than 2 million, let alone 1.25.

A couple things.... first I clearly noted it was a sample of what we COULD spend because people were suggesting we couldn't really bring in any players. It wasn't a suggested roster.

The second thing... your idea of tanking a whole season to get a slight chance at an unproven prospect who has never player am NHL game is ridiculously simple minded.

Yeah. Only the best prospect to come along in years though. 'Duuurrrrr, but he hasn't played an NHL game yethurrrrrr...'

But haven't you seen this team play lately? It's not tanking if you honestly suck.

I just find it funny that people here think Booth is good now for some reason, only because the rest of the team is drastically underperforming.

According to the The Province we only got about $5.6 million to spend. We wouldn't have any cap space at all if we still had Luongo. We can spend some of this little by little in the offseason. It's going to be tough looking for players that are consistent and are point a game players. One thing I'd personally spend some of this money is on goaltending. It has beeen the story of the season. We once had two top 10 goaltenders and lefted with a couple rookies that have no NHL experience. That's why if I were GM of this team I'd go for a big time signing like Brodeur. I don't see Brodeur wearing a Devil jersey again next season now that Schneider has been decided to be the Devils number.

We have tons of money to work with and if we spend some of this on some established consistent hockey players, we will find ourselves on top of the division and possibly a contender for the cup.

Go Canucks

Thoughts

yeah, lets spend more money on goalies since that has been our problem in the past few years. Forget about forwards and defense since we have lots of depth there.

Of course the Province has it's numbers wrong, but IMO, it's a bit of a moot point. Or at least, it should be.

Here we are (at least many of us) hoping the team loses out in order to garner a higher draft position. So are we going to abandon that strategy in the off-season, or does it make sense to carry on next year and get in of the McDavid sweepstakes?

Do we move Kesler and Edler/Garrison if we can convince them to waive?

I think we can all agree that Tanev has to be re-signed. Ditto Kassian.

Do we become one of those "hard-working, grinding" kind of teams that concentrate in solid positional play and defense first hockey? Do we tell the likes of Bieksa and Hamhuis to stop taking offensive chances and become the shut-down players they were in 2011?

If we're answering "yes" to any or all of these questions, then our Cap position doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all.

Kassian nor Santorelli is worth more than nick bonino who makes 1.9M next year

Bonino obviously took a discount to play in ANA, thats like taking the Sedins previous contracts when they were elite players and saying Perry & Getzlaf weren't worth more than 6.1 when there deals were up because thats what the twins were making.

At market value I would say they are both worth 2, especially Santorelli who was effectively a top 6 forward for us this season.

I keep hearing that the Canucks need to bring in a veteran goalie which is a good idea but I'm wondering how close Markstrom is to having to become waiver eligible.

He signed his first contract May 2010 so I'm thinking he should have another year, anyone know for sure?

The prospect of signing Elliot has come up a few times. If they want someone to push Lack, it makes some sense, but there's also cheaper options like Montoya or Greiss if they truly believe that Eddie is their guy.

I think Markstrom would benefit form playing more minutes in Utica.

In answer to your question, he's an RFA at the end of next season.

The prospect of signing Elliot has come up a few times. If they want someone to push Lack, it makes some sense, but there's also cheaper options like Montoya or Greiss if they truly believe that Eddie is their guy.

I think he has to go through waivers to send down, at least that's what I understood. So if we can't send him down then we shouldn't go for any other goaltender.

• 2 weeks later...

Once they sign Tanev (around $3.5M ish and Kassian (around $1.5M ish), they aren't going to have a lot of cap room. They have to buy out Booth if they want to be a player in free agency.

This is my ideal and realistic lineup. Don't think they get a Moulson/Vanek/Cammy type player for $$ and/or location reasons. They need to build a four line team where the 3rd line needs to be a checking line (a la 2010/11 team). Gives them $2.5M in cap space for callups/trade deadline (I think Shinkurak or Gaunce get called up after trade deadline)

Summer 2014 Canucks
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Zack Kassian ($1.500m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Marcel Goc ($3.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.250m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.250m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Yannik Weber ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Yaro Halak ($2.500m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,273,611; BONUSES: $858,333
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,826,389

Here's mine

Garrison moved for Campbell and we take a bit more of the salary (FLA keeps 20-25%) but Garrison is cheaper for them

Booth bought out

Shinkaruk is given the chance

Kesler / Schroder and a pick for Schenn and Laughton

Trade Hansen for Matt Martin

Allows Horvat another year in Junior

Gaunce in the minors

Shinkaruk was the most ready - elite hands and speed, as long as he's healed he can play and is the type of exciting player we need in the lineup

If he's not ready, keep him in the AHL, Laughton is definitely ready so he take's Burr's spot on 3w and Burr moves up to left side with Hank and Jensen (a line that had a ton of chemistry)

FORWARDS

Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.894m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($4.500m) / Zack Kassian ($1.351m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.150m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Matt Martin ($1.000m)

Scott Laughton ($0.894m) /

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Campbell ($5.357m—25.00%) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

------
SALARY CAP: $66,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,550,434; BONUSES: $433,333
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,449,566

Not sure if Elliot is about 'pushing' lack, its about having a safety blanket while you're learning the role of a starter

Less pressure to know there is a very talented vet who can carry the load for both the team and the starter

I like Elliot and think he is the perfect fit for the team. Happy to split as he has been for years, won't be overly expensive because of it, knows the shooters in the west and is a heck of a goalie.

Vanek? Good Lord no.

I hope we don't buy out Booth because keeping him brings us closer to McDavid.

Unbelievably simple minded.

Unbelievably simple minded.

I am hoping you are suggesting that his response to my post was simple-minded... and not my post that you were quoting. :)

If we managed to be worse than every other team in the league (which would take some work considering Buffalo and Edmonton are going to be contenders for that title, we still only have a 25% shot at McDavid... so it is just stupid to suggest that as a strategy.

Archived