The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Q&A with Trevor Linden today.

oldnews

Happy 44th birthday.

Thanked and spoke about the mentorship and leadership that Pat Quinn provided.

"Don't like to characterize things as retool or rebuild.....It's a puzzle....I don't have a crystal ball...What that looks like, I don't know, but definitely an exciting fun brand of hockey, we want to bring back."

"Doug Wilson was everything I wanted to be when I grew up, if you will."

"I think that there's a few reasons why there's been a bit of a malaise over the team.....Most importantly, the word "up tempo", for me that's always been a part of the game, and that will be part of our process and our program next year. We hope that we can supplement our core players with some young players."

"Drafting is an inexact science... [Even] Detroit passed over him [Datsyuk] five times before picking him in the 6th round.....That's an area that will be my #1 focus. Because that is the lifeline of the organization. Without drafting well and bringing prospects in...you have no chance."

GM: "It's best candidate available, no question. Unlikely that it would be someone I'm real familiar with."

"I like some of the pieces, I like some of the prospects.....We're not going to make a change just to say we made a change. It's got to be the right change, it's got to be for the right reasons... it's got to be for the right pieces. Making a change because people want it or thye expect it is not going to be the way we are going to do things."

"I think we can be competitive next year, in fact I know we can. I think we'll have a really good opportunity to be in the tournament...."

"Get some excitement back in the game."

"Next week is going to be assessing, talking to players, talking to coaches.....Is going to be really important to the direction this organization goes. There are some good people in that dressing room....Looking forward to talking to them and delving into all kinds of issues...Critical path for me is always what drives me....The download next week that I'm going to get from players and coaches."

"I think ultimately people want to feel connected to their team.....We want to create this culture."

So count Naslund out as GM.

Funny how he said count out anyone close to him. Wonder if that means Gilman

Not necessarily. He said that it could be someone that he played with but that might have been a long time ago. Just not someone he is real familiar with.

Not necessarily. He said that it could be someone that he played with but that might have been a long time ago. Just not someone he is real familiar with.

you'd probably be pretty familiar with someone you were friends and teammates with for the better part of 9 seasons. (95/96 - 97/98, 01/02 - 07/08).

I watched and listened to the entire interview. He never said these things directly, but if I was to get a sense from him or read "in between the lines", I read three things: 1) At least when Edler was a rookie, Linden was really impressed with him. Will he stay or go? I think he's staying until management is convinced he cannot advance anymore as a player; 2) Jim Benning is on his candidate list and he won't commit to anyone else until he has a chance to at least ask him if he would be interested in the GM's job; and 3) Torts is one and done in Vancouver and it will be based on exit meetings with players and his thoughts on how things unfolded, especially this year. That's my take. Flame away.

I watched and listened to the entire interview. He never said these things directly, but if I was to get a sense from him or read "in between the lines", I read three things: 1) At least when Edler was a rookie, Linden was really impressed with him. Will he stay or go? I think he's staying until management is convinced he cannot advance anymore as a player; 2) Jim Benning is on his candidate list and he won't commit to anyone else until he has a chance to at least ask him if he would be interested in the GM's job; and 3) Torts is one and done in Vancouver and it will be based on exit meetings with players and his thoughts on how things unfolded, especially this year. That's my take. Flame away.

Illuminati, all through your body

Archived