The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Q&A with Trevor Linden today.

oldnews

Where did everyone hear that Jim Benning might be interested in being Gm for this team?

News1130 spoke with him:

Benning said the #Canucks job would be an exciting oppurtunity but can not comment on the Vancouver job because he works for another team.

Does Scott Stevens have any coaching background?

edit: or is it even Scott Stevens you were referring?

John Stevens, the current LA assistant coach, was a candidate last year.

So i guess it is scott stevens

Nope.

"Drafting is an inexact science... [Even] Detroit passed over him [Datsyuk] five times before picking him in the 6th round.....That's an area that will be my #1 focus. Because that is the lifeline of the organization. Without drafting well and bringing prospects in...you have no

Detroit was the only NHL team that saw Datsyuk play before the draft. The plane carrying the St. Louis scout to Datsyuk's game wasn't able to take off. The Red Wings were aware of this at the draft.

I watched and listened to the entire interview. He never said these things directly, but if I was to get a sense from him or read "in between the lines", I read three things: 1) At least when Edler was a rookie, Linden was really impressed with him. Will he stay or go? I think he's staying until management is convinced he cannot advance anymore as a player; 2) Jim Benning is on his candidate list and he won't commit to anyone else until he has a chance to at least ask him if he would be interested in the GM's job; and 3) Torts is one and done in Vancouver and it will be based on exit meetings with players and his thoughts on how things unfolded, especially this year. That's my take. Flame away.

Spot on- that's my take too.

The other thing I take away from this is an increasingly less veiled critique of the lack of class and arrogance Gillis showed on many occasions. Trevor's discussion of Doug Wilson as a role model in one interlude that can be read that way but there were several others as well. This is what underlies "the need for a new voice." People need to be able to identify and empathize with the person running the show. Gillis had his good points, but this certainly wasn't one of them.

Don't know why everybody thinks Torts is so done already. Linden has always stated that he would base his decision on interviews with players AND COACHES after the season is over. Obviously this process will start on Monday. Personally I think it would be a major disservice to Torts to simply dismiss him out of hand, and rather stupid on Linden's part NOT to garner as much info as possible from a person I consider to be VERY knowledgeable about the game. (Torts)

Really can't see how Torts can be blamed for inheriting a team that was already on a downward slide (1 win in their last 11 playoff games) and exposing them for what they really are. A team of aging veterans that were babied and coddled for AV for 7 years, and now can't play the game the way the "new" NHL wants it to be played. We all seem to forget how well they played in December and early January (before the injuries hit)when they finally bought into Torts "system". To me that was VERY exciting "up tempo" hockey with great transition and pace. Torts only went to the defensive style when injuries dictated he do so. Besides he has already admitted his fault in not returning to the more up tempo style (more quickly) after the injuries returned.

Lastly. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis for hiring a coach that was not suited to our current team and for failing to supply Torts with the proper players for his so called style. Obviously Gillis has already paid the ultimate price for that mistake. Don't think Torts should pay the same price for simply doing what he was hired to do. Besides, if the team is going to change (younger, bigger, faster, stronger) over the summer, who better than to coach that team at least for one more year? I say Torts is the man.

:)

The fact that he recognizes how important drafting is, put him in solid in my books.

Drafting is his #1 priority? I'm all in.

Great that drafting is a number 1 priority, but not surprising as its pretty much the number one priority for every team. Nothing to get too excited about.

Guess who said the same thing the first week he was hired in 2008? Mike Gillis.

Archived