The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Don't know why everybody thinks Torts is so done already. Linden has always stated that he would base his decision on interviews with players AND COACHES after the season is over. Obviously this process will start on Monday. Personally I think it would be a major disservice to Torts to simply dismiss him out of hand, and rather stupid on Linden's part NOT to garner as much info as possible from a person I consider to be VERY knowledgeable about the game. (Torts)

Really can't see how Torts can be blamed for inheriting a team that was already on a downward slide (1 win in their last 11 playoff games) and exposing them for what they really are. A team of aging veterans that were babied and coddled for AV for 7 years, and now can't play the game the way the "new" NHL wants it to be played. We all seem to forget how well they played in December and early January (before the injuries hit) when they finally bought into Torts "system". To me that was VERY exciting "up tempo" hockey with great transition and pace. Torts only went to the defensive style when injuries dictated he do so. Besides he has already admitted his fault in not returning to the more up tempo style (more quickly) after the injuries returned.

Lastly. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis for hiring a coach that was not suited to our current team and for failing to supply Torts with the proper players for his so called style. Obviously Gillis has already paid the ultimate price for that mistake. Don't think Torts should pay the same price for simply doing what he was hired to do. Besides, if the team is going to change (younger, bigger, faster, stronger) over the summer, who better than to coach that team at least for one more year? I say Torts is the man.

Don't know why everybody thinks Torts is so done already. Linden has always stated that he would base his decision on interviews with players AND COACHES after the season is over. Obviously this process will start on Monday. Personally I think it would be a major disservice to Torts to simply dismiss him out of hand, and rather stupid on Linden's part NOT to garner as much info as possible from a person I consider to be VERY knowledgeable about the game. (Torts)

Really can't see how Torts can be blamed for inheriting a team that was already on a downward slide (1 win in their last 11 playoff games) and exposing them for what they really are. A team of aging veterans that were babied and coddled for AV for 7 years, and now can't play the game the way the "new" NHL wants it to be played. We all seem to forget how well they played in December and early January (before the injuries hit)when they finally bought into Torts "system". To me that was VERY exciting "up tempo" hockey with great transition and pace. Torts only went to the defensive style when injuries dictated he do so. Besides he has already admitted his fault in not returning to the more up tempo style (more quickly) after the injuries returned.

Lastly. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis for hiring a coach that was not suited to our current team and for failing to supply Torts with the proper players for his so called style. Obviously Gillis has already paid the ultimate price for that mistake. Don't think Torts should pay the same price for simply doing what he was hired to do. Besides, if the team is going to change (younger, bigger, faster, stronger) over the summer, who better than to coach that team at least for one more year? I say Torts is the man.

I'm still not convinced that Torts was a Gillis hiring, but it doesn't really matter now. The main point is that Torts is not suited to this team and I wonder what you consider are the 'proper players for his so called style.

Gillis certainly didn't have the cap space to bring in a bunch of new players to fit Tort's system.

It's not very often that when a new GM comes into town that the old coach stays.

Torts has brought this team down to nearly a franchise low is Goals per game. I believe only better than Mike Keenan.

Actually this team, when playing well before the injuries hit, did score quite a few goals per game. We all seem to forget that LACK of team scoring, and LACK of secondary scoring (other than the Sedin's) has been a MAJOR problem for this team long before Torts got here.

:)

I'm still not convinced that Torts was a Gillis hiring, but it doesn't really matter now. The main point is that Torts is not suited to this team and I wonder what you consider are the 'proper players for his so called style.

Gillis certainly didn't have the cap space to bring in a bunch of new players to fit Tort's system.

The younger players that we now see inserted in the lineup as well as (hopefully) one or two next season coupled with (maybe) one major RFA signing and/or one or two via a trade. Torts did overplay (and eventually tire out) lot's of the veterans this year. Don't think he had a choice. Hopefully he'll have a more balanced FOUR LINE team next year so he can spread the minutes around in hopes of getting better production out of everybody. Santorelli was a big loss this year as well.

We gave Torts 1 season with a declining team and a confused GM on how we should play. Sure maybe a different coach might be better, but it is so naive (for lack of a better word) to think that a coaching change will fix this team, just like we thought last year.

There was a lot for Torts to learn, ranging from who he had as players, coaching in a Western conference, arranging practice days and rest days, etc. Give him another year and pray we don't have half as many injuries. He's learned what worked and what didn't work and I think he will more effective next year.

Also, putting up the flame shield now as this seems to be the opinion that gets you under fire.

You don't fire a guy after 1 year. That's the type of decision an impatient 5 year old on ADD makes. What is the common denominator the last 4 years of the decline? It's the players! It's so blatantly obvious that we need new personnel, whether that be through a rebuild or via trade is another question entirely

Linden is just waiting the season out.

While he could be leaving it up to the new GM as it is his call, I think Linden has already made up his mind, and they probably don't want to wait if that new GM will not be available until June.

I cannot see Linden hanging onto a coach "like Keenan" was, nor hiring a GM that thinks Torts is the right coach for the Canucks.

They may also want to look at the idea of keeping Gulutzan but still letting Torts and Sully go; he may be a good fit for assistant (but probably not yet ready for head coach).

It is all timing now; imo Torts is not the head coach of the Canucks for very much longer.

I feel a new President and a new GM is enough change for one year and off season. Torts should get another year. The players know what it takes to win and they know that a "harder" approach is needed to win and stay competitive in this current NHL. Besides that's a TON of money that Aquilini is going to shell out this off season to buy out Gillis and possibly Booth/Garrison (maybe Edler) and now Torts? Not sure if he's really down with doing that. Do you?

You don't fire a guy after 1 year. That's the type of decision an impatient 5 year old on ADD makes. What is the common denominator the last 4 years of the decline? It's the players! It's so blatantly obvious that we need new personnel, whether that be through a rebuild or via trade is another question entirely

So every analyst saying that torts is gone is an impatient 5 year old?

Well maybe those at TSN but really?

I think it depends on what the team's plans are moving forward. If it's "rebuild", then I think it would be okay to keep Torts around. If it's "reload", then there may be too much negative energy built up between the coaching staff and the players. They'd be better off with a new approach and a new voice.

Archived