The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

I maintain that if he develops well Shinkaruk can be a first line winger. He has a higher upside but higher risk than Horvat.

Nobody is really hating on Ehlers. They're saying its a stupid idea to take him 6th overall. Mark Jankowski may turn out to be a good player, but taking him at 21 was still a stupid move by Calgary considering they could have had him much later.

We also don't even know if Ehlers will make the NHL, let alone be a first liner.

Again, this is ridiculous. Its not stupid to take a guy that highly skilled. Your talking point is how much the guy weighs when he was listed at 17 years old. You also know that almost all fill out and in Ehlers case he probably ends up 6ft and 180. The same size Mac Kinnon is now. Even if he stays 5ft 11, its very easy for players to put on muscle and will go 180. They do it all the time.

Do you know how many great players are 5ft 10 or 5ft 11? Start with Kane, Datsyuk, Alfredsson Skinner on and on .........

And then on top of it all, you spin a ridiculous player such as Jankowski who had no business going in the first round at all as the comparable. That is a purposeful attempt to spin the belligerent. negative . I dont believe you guys are capable of having an objective argument.

There is no point in discussing it if you insist on being belligerent in the analysis.

Bottom line is that Ehlers just isn't going to be near as good as Mackinnon or Drouin. He's just too skinny.

Besides, we have Shinkaruk. What is so great about Ehlers that we have to draft a completely redundant prospect.

I believe Schroeder had all-star potential as well. Lol. Get real.

Just stop drafting undersized players.

Thats why I would go with Ritchie..nice skill set ,big and tough....

If any of the top 5 teams go off the board, we take the one who is left. If they all go as planned, I take Ehlers 6th.

I wouldn't mind picking up an 11-14 pick and grabbing Virtanen. BC boy, that's all I need to know. Heard he's dropped pretty low on some lists maybe get lucky and grab him second round although I doubt he drops that far.

Again, this is ridiculous. Its not stupid to take a guy that highly skilled.

It is stupid to take a guy that highly skilled when there are better players available.

There is no point in discussing it if you insist on being belligerent in the analysis.

You mean you're upset that not everybody agrees with you.

What makes you so interested in Perlini? Have you seen him play a lot ? He seems like he could go anywhere from 6th -12th

People say he doesn't play very physical. But he's huge for an 18 year old and has hands, speed, and sniping almost as good as Dal Colle or Ehlers.

The difference is he can put another 20 lbs on and be exactly like Kassian is starting to play like us now except more of a scorer.

I prefer Dal Colle and Perlini isn't too exciting but I just don't wanna take the risk on EHlers this high. Let's see if a team ahead of us does.

Watch Perlini's highlights and you'll see he looks like a young Bobby Ryan, Perry, or Getzlaf with under physicality at the moment.

Ehlers would get eaten alive in the Pacific division. Try for Virtanen, Ritchie, then Perlini in that order.

Go through the Anahiem roster. After Getzlaf and Perry, you'd be surprised how many big players they have. Big players are slowly becoming overrated in this market. We have Kassian, Jensen, Horvat, and Gaunce which is a lot of youthful size. You need to supplement that size with the speedy skill guys or your team which is why I would not mind us drafting Ehlers at 6th. My only worry about Ehlers is if he does not care about the defensive side of the game but I haven't watched him live before.

That being said, if Draisatl or Dal Colle drop to us I would be ecstatic if we grabbed one of them.

Go through the Anahiem roster. After Getzlaf and Perry, you'd be surprised how many big players they have. Big players are slowly becoming overrated in this market. We have Kassian, Jensen, Horvat, and Gaunce which is a lot of youthful size. You need to supplement that size with the speedy skill guys or your team which is why I would not mind us drafting Ehlers at 6th. My only worry about Ehlers is if he does not care about the defensive side of the game but I haven't watched him live before.

That being said, if Draisatl or Dal Colle drop to us I would be ecstatic if we grabbed one of them.

Horvat is not that big. Gaunce is a grinder. Jensen don't really use his size. Kassian is a 3rd liner until he proves otherwise. Far cry from Getzlaf or Perry. That being said, there's no Getzlaf or Perry in this draft either.

But i'm still passing on Ehlers at 6th overall. Jesus, he's ranked 13th and was ranked 22nd a few weeks ago.

Besides, Shinkaruk says hello. He's our undersized, highly-skilled project LWer. Don't need another one right now when on the right side we are paper thin in prospects.

Because if the picks we take are not ready in 3 to 4 years of development...than we picked very...VERY poorly with our best draft pick since the Sedins.

Anyone who thinks we are going to draft a guy and be successful with them immediately has obviously failed to understand how development truly works.

Anyone we pick this and next season, with the prospects we currently have and the core we currently have is best served being developed for 3 years minimum, 1 full AHL season minimum

It is common sense and a proper development program to do this instead of rushing young, undersized or currently young 1 dimensional players in to the league and expect results

I disagree, if they are ready they are ready. A decent amount of players don't need that much time developing. There isn't some magical cookie cutter timeline for all prospects and you are completely close minded if you think there is. You are assuming they wont be ready till that point in time and all i'm saying is IF they are we should bring them in when they are ready. I don't understand how any sane, logical person could argue that point.

Hi everyone. I haven't posted on here in quite some time due to CDC "madness" but just had to post here in support of the OP. This Ehlers .. I think he really is something special to be considered when it's our turn to draft at #6. His talent level and speed is off the charts and although I have only watched a few highlight compilations from this past season of his, I have to admit, he looks scary good. On the elite prospects website it says this about him:

-Ehlers is an explosive player who can beat even the quickest defensemen wide with his speed. He plays on his off wing and creates chances with sharp cuts to the middle comple- mented by an explosive wrister. He's equally good with the puck and can handle it both at top speed and in traffic.

This was a comment made from someone at Hockey News:

_An incredibly skilled forward, Ehlers makes plays at high speeds and doesn’t mind going to the tough areas in order to score. Scouts see him as an excellent complementary player and have even hesitantly brought up teammate Jonathan Drouin as a comparable, as lofty as that sounds. While playing for Biel last year, he even got to practise with locked-out NHL stars Tyler Seguin and Patrick Kane. And along with getting the Mooseheads back to the Memorial Cup for a title defense, Ehlers will be counted on at the world juniors next season with Denmark.

In the past 12 months or so, he helped the Danes get up to the top bracket at both the under-18s and the world juniors; an obvious point of pride for him."

From Ryan Kennedy in a The Hockey News 'NHL prospect hot list' post - March 4th

Apparently was the QMJHL's rookie of the year...

Here is another opinion from Dobber Prospects:

_Imported from Denmark, Ehlers has replaced the scoring void quite nicely after Nathan MacKinnon made the leap to the Colorado Avalanche. Like his predecessor in Halifax, Ehlers is one of the fastest skaters in the draft, blazing past defenders and utilizing his dynamic elusive cuts in and out of traffic to create room. The depth of intelligence Ehlers possesses for the game allows him to adopt both a shooter and playmaker’s mentality. Rising up draft boards quickly.

Profile from: Brendan Ross of Dobber Prospects - Feb. 16th

...and last but not least here is what he supposedly is being compared to. I think we should take notice because we need top end skill on this team and not just a big body. We have some of those in our system already. WE NEED TALENT!! :

-Markus Naslund (Skill)

Pavel Bure (Speed)

• Peter Forsberg (Seeing the ice)
  • Mix (Nathan MacKinnon/Jonathan Drouin)
  • Patrick Kane (Style of play)
  • Profile from: Curtis Joe - Feb. 11th
Draw your own conclusions but this kid just might be what the Canucks need starting a new era and also trying to bring fans back to Rogers arena. When is the last time you could say we had a truly exciting player. Bure ring a bell? This kid's pretty close.

Lol. If any of this trumped-up trash is true, he'd be the clear cut number one pick.

People say he doesn't play very physical. But he's huge for an 18 year old and has hands, speed, and sniping almost as good as Dal Colle or Ehlers.

The difference is he can put another 20 lbs on and be exactly like Kassian is starting to play like us now except more of a scorer.

I prefer Dal Colle and Perlini isn't too exciting but I just don't wanna take the risk on EHlers this high. Let's see if a team ahead of us does.

Watch Perlini's highlights and you'll see he looks like a young Bobby Ryan, Perry, or Getzlaf with under physicality at the moment.

You make a good argument but I think id take Ritchie or Virtanen instead.

I see what you're saying, but Horvat and Jensen are nowhere near the size or skill that Perry and Getzlaf each possess. Kassian has size, but he can't be compared to Anaheim's big two until he has a breakout season. I'm not disagreeing with a need for smaller skilled players, but I think we already have that in Shinkaruk, Fox and company. Drafting Ehlers would be a little redundant when we already have similar players in the system. We cannot afford to pass up on one of the big three power forward kids in this top 10.

Anyone setting their hearts on Ehlers at 6th overall are going to be disappointed. They arent going to pass on Ritchie or Virtanen. Players with size and decent skating.

At least they better not.

Ehlers isn't even all that much faster than Virtanen, but Jake brings other qualities that Ehlers clearly lacks.

If the Canucks took Horvat over Nichushkin, then clearly they're after more than 1-dimensional offense.

Imagine, us passing on Nichushkin, a WAY better player than Ehlers (and way better offensively than Horvat) only to pick up a lightweight tunnelvision version of Nichushkin a year later. What a fail that would be.

At least they better not.

Ehlers isn't even all that much faster than Virtanen, but Jake brings other qualities that Ehlers clearly lacks.

If the Canucks took Horvat over Nichushkin, then clearly they're after more than 1-dimensional offense.

Imagine, us passing on Nichushkin, a WAY better player than Ehlers (and way better offensively than Horvat) only to pick up a lightweight tunnelvision version of Nichushkin a year later. What a fail that would be.

I agree with you mostly, but my thinking on the reason they passed on Nichushkin was mainly because hes Russian. I think the only knock on Virtanen, is he is an up and down power forward and not a play maker. He has a TON of raw potential though and hes young for his draft class.

Archived