The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Deal Kes & fringe piece to Ana for DSP, Theodore, & #10 pick.

If top-5 are gone, deal our #6(Ehlers) to TBay for Palat/Kucherov, Koekkoek & their 2015 1st. (we could add a bit)??

Just an idea, as they might be in a cap-jam soon. We all visualize Etem/Shinkaruk, maybe they'd overpay to maintain their dynamic jr-duo?

6 feet isn't small. I find it funny people think an 18 year old won't put on any more weight as he matures. Around 18-20 is when I started filling out and putting on most of my weight....

No one says he's going to be 200+, but he doesn't need to with the speed and skill he has....

Look at Gaudreau, he's like 5'6. I know he's only played one NHL game but he's going to do some damage in this league imo.

Those are posters who have a conflict of interest to pick another prospect and they dont care how ridiculous their slander of Ehlers is to achieve it.

Fair minded people see Ehlers at 6ft and anywhere from 190 to 195 pounds at age 21. That is a fairly reasonable estimate. He is already 5ft11 1/2 -3/4 and 176 pounds at age 18

The average player is 6ft1 and 201 pounds. I assume that means the average forward is 6ft 190

Those are posters who have a conflict of interest to pick another prospect and they dont care how ridiculous their slander of Ehlers is to achieve it.

Fair minded people see Ehlers at 6ft and anywhere from 190 to 195 pounds at age 21. That is a fairly reasonable estimate. He is already 5ft11 1/2 -3/4 and 176 pounds at age 18

The average player is 6ft1 and 201 pounds. I assume that means the average forward is 6ft 190

1.) So is it your opinion that posters who support Ehlers don't have a "conflict of interest" in how they state their case?

And how is it slander to state an opinion that a certain player is small if the facts bear it out? I believe it is closer to slander to diminish the talent of a larger prospect in order to validate support for the smaller, and arguably more talented prospect.

2.) From your post, "fair minded" people seem to be those who agree with you. I suspect that this was not your intent.

Ehlers might reach 6' or more, or he may not. And he may get to 190 - 195 pounds, or may not. I believe these are optimistic estimates. And even if he were to reach these higher weight levels (which I don't see happening), would it be an appropriate weight for him and his style of play? He may well play better at 180 - 185 and anything over that means that he is too slow and heavy to be effective.

regards,

G.

If we want to come up with a rough estimate of what Ehlers final height/weight will be we can look at his dad who is 6'/190lbs. A player who weighs 190lbs can play in the NHL.

I'll do Nylander as well. His dad is 6'/194lbs.

No point in checking for Ritchie or Virtanen since they are already NHL size

If we want to come up with a rough estimate of what Ehlers final height/weight will be we can look at his dad who is 6'/190lbs. A player who weighs 190lbs can play in the NHL.

Interesting data. I was thinking of looking up this very thing. :)

While it does lend support to the thought that Ehlers will reach the estimated size, we should also remember that this is not a guarantee. For example, my father was over 6', and I have brothers who are around the same height. I'm shorter by maybe 3 or 4 inches.

Ehlers may, or may not get taller/heavier.

regards,

G.

1.) So is it your opinion that posters who support Ehlers don't have a "conflict of interest" in how they state their case?

And how is it slander to state an opinion that a certain player is small if the facts bear it out? I believe it is closer to slander to diminish the talent of a larger prospect in order to validate support for the smaller, and arguably more talented prospect.

2.) From your post, "fair minded" people seem to be those who agree with you. I suspect that this was not your intent.

Ehlers might reach 6' or more, or he may not. And he may get to 190 - 195 pounds, or may not. I believe these are optimistic estimates. And even if he were to reach these higher weight levels (which I don't see happening), would it be an appropriate weight for him and his style of play? He may well play better at 180 - 185 and anything over that means that he is too slow and heavy to be effective.

regards,

G.

. You are changing the words to suggest something completely different. I dont claim to know the motives for the Ehlers supporters. I dont condone the ones who put the others down either. Why did you just 'assume' I have a double standard? Do you go around using double standards so you think I would?

Ehlers isnt 'small' by any standard at all. At age 17 years old when he got off the plane from Denmark he was 5ft 11 and 162 pounds. He aint 5ft 8 or 5ft 5 or Martin St Louis size. He just isnt. He is just a kid. Some guys dont fill out right away.

He is now almost the exact same size as Nathan Mac Kinnon. Go show me your posts where you call Mac Kinnon small then we will talk.

Ehlers is 5ft 11.75 and he is 176 pounds. He just turned 18 years old. He is a kid. You claim it 'optimistic' he grows a lousy 1/4 inch and gains 14 to 19 pounds when he fills out as a grown man? Those are fairly modest expectations.

Nobody is 'diminishing' Ritchies talent . He is not as talented as Nylander nor Ehlers. Ehlers is perhaps the most dynamic player in the whole draft. Ritchie put up solid numbers but they are not Ehlers numbers. Please dont tell me you think anyone is diminishing Virtanens talent. He isnt a good a prospect as Ritchie is let alone Ehlers and Nylander. He scored 45 goals -in 71 games but showed little else. His speed is great and hitting is good. He had a disappointing playoff.

Fair minded people disagree with me all the time. I can tell you -with no offense intended - none come to rip apart my posts , twist my words, and give me a what for. Fair minded people feel that approach would be unproductive.

Fair minded people are just that. Fair minded. They dont need to rip apart the other posters, the other prospects . If you like Ritchie or Virtanen then good for you. They are great prospects.

Calling Ehlers 'small' is simply disingenuous. If you want to say hes 'not big' and 'not physical, then that is fair game, but all we do is come back with a long laundry list of players his size who play just fine in the NHL. Yes, including the Western Conference.

As for your last point. We shall see. Perhaps Ehlers wont want to play at 195. Maybe 190 is good . :)

Interesting data. I was thinking of looking up this very thing. :)

While it does lend support to the thought that Ehlers will reach the estimated size, we should also remember that this is not a guarantee. For example, my father was over 6', and I have brothers who are around the same height. I'm shorter by maybe 3 or 4 inches.

Ehlers may, or may not get taller/heavier.

regards,

G.

A lot of that height variation depends on whether you're first child or not. Usually the first is the tallest, and they gradually decrease.

He was from the photos. Lets see how he is at the combine.

Seen some recent ones. More ripped now, but still skinny. Kinda like Anton Rodin was.

Remember that picture of Anton Rodin bench-pressing some misc. amount of weight and it was posted on here and people oooh'd and aaaah'd? I don't think we ever saw him again. I guess the Canucks still have a looooong way to go when developing players.

Sounds like Petr Nedved when he was rookie of the year and then got drafted second overall.

... The Canucks were so excited about that award that they proceeded to pass on Jagr to pick him.

That's okay though. They made up for it when they picked up Shawn Antoski instead of Keith Tkachuk and Martin Brodeur, who were the following 2 picks.

Mother of God I hope Benning changes this ongoing tragedy that is the Vancouver Canucks' drafting.

... The Canucks were so excited about that award that they proceeded to pass on Jagr to pick him.

That's okay though. They made up for it when they picked up Shawn Antoski instead of Keith Tkachuk and Martin Brodeur, who were the following 2 picks.

Mother of God I hope Benning changes this ongoing tragedy that is the Vancouver Canucks' drafting.

In all fairness the first five picks of that draft were all consensus can't miss prospects. The Flyers were ecstatic that Ricci fell to them as he was long rumoured to be number one that year. Nedved was a dominant force in junior, seemed like the real deal at the time.

In all fairness the first five picks of that draft were all consensus can't miss prospects. The Flyers were ecstatic that Ricci fell to them as he was long rumoured to be number one that year. Nedved was a dominant force in junior, seemed like the real deal at the time.

Agreed. Nedved was still a can't miss guy. Wasn't Jagr, but whatever. The fail was letting him go for a year of Craig Janney. But then again, he turned into Hedican, Lafayette and Jeff Brown and we subsequently went to the finals.

So your telling me Jordan Subban has a chance to be 6'1 210 lbs? That's his dad's height.

No he didnt. There are 7 rounds . You dont go looking for size and toughness at #6 when you can hunt for it everywhere else. Bennings track record for the 'big bad bruins' was to drafted the highest skill he could in the top 10.

I appreciate your post but when you start assigning what you want to believe onto the guys words you become partisan political hacks. If you just want to come post as a partisan hack, there isnt much point in discussing anything.

Why do you keep ignoring people? Ritchie is not 6'3 230 lb Tom Stetito player. He's 6'3 230 lb offensive winger who can hit and skate, and snipe. Terrible. Why are you blanking off the truth? Please stop your negative nonsense, absent Canuck. Every is sick and tired of you making things up. Such as saying we don't pick tough guys with the 6 pick. He's a tough guy who has skilled, lead his team in scoring lead his team past round 1. Meanwhile Ehlers didn't even lead his team in scoring.

Do you believe your own posts? Just asking?

His dad is taller then Pk Subban. Stop trying to act like smart ass Absent Canuck. I'm still kindly awaiting your response to the no players in the NHL can play at the NHL level at 230 lbs. Sick and tired and rants, your attacks on anyone who disagrees with the Ehlers pick, labeling Ritchie a 4th line goon, and saying "size and tougness" when Ritchie is cleary Size toughness and skill.

Archived