The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where is Gillis now?

sh1ftg34r

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these forums for the last two years or so. I've been a Canucks fan since 2003. Anyways, everyone is talking about who the next GM will be? Is Torts safe? Will Kesler stay?

My question is, Where is Gillis now? Why haven't we heard from him yet. Have we heard from him and did I miss it? How come he never was interviewed by ANYONE after him being fired. I just find it odd that after being with this organization for a respectable amount of time he just vanishes. No media involvement. No press conference. No explanations or anything. Does anyone have any more info?

Thanks

There's two reasons I can think of behind that.

1 - He's still under contact and being paid. Although he has been relived of his GM duties, he is still under contract and still technically an employee.

2 - He probably wants to find another job. Ripping into your employer in public doesn't look good on a resume.

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these forums for the last two years or so. I've been a Canucks fan since 2003. Anyways, everyone is talking about who the next GM will be? Is Torts safe? Will Kesler stay?

My question is, Where is Gillis now? Why haven't we heard from him yet. Have we heard from him and did I miss it? How come he never was interviewed by ANYONE after him being fired. I just find it odd that after being with this organization for a respectable amount of time he just vanishes. No media involvement. No press conference. No explanations or anything. Does anyone have any more info?

Thanks

I think he's hanging under the lions gage bridge covered in tar and feathers.

There's two reasons I can think of behind that.

1 - He's still under contact and being paid. Although he has been relived of his GM duties, he is still under contract and still technically an employee.

2 - He probably wants to find another job. Ripping into your employer in public doesn't look good on a resume.

I don't think this is true, there is a buyout option in his contract I'm sure he's been released of him employment and no longer a part of the club.

I've never seen MG shy away from ripping others to try and make himself look better before?

I can't see him getting another job as a GM he's not respected by other GMs and after what he's done here he'd be lucky to find a job at Mc D's.

I don't think this is true, there is a buyout option in his contract I'm sure he's been released of him employment and no longer a part of the club.

I've never seen MG shy away from ripping others to try and make himself look better before?

I can't see him getting another job as a GM he's not respected by other GMs and after what he's done here he'd be lucky to find a job at Mc D's.

Maybe you could teach him how to run the deep fryer ?? .. :lol:

Being employed and being paid under a current contract aren't necessarily the same thing.

You don't often see a fired GM or coach making a statement so he's just spending time with his family and maybe even taking a vacation I'd think. There'll be other GM openings so he'll be ready to find work after that I'm sure.

EDIT: Hadn't read all the way through your post to see the McD's comment. Classy.

He could get a GM job, or work as a President or assistant in either role. He could get back into his former job as an agent, or find something else altogether (he does have a law background).

Certainly his job opportunities are more numerous than yours I'd guess, and his pay scale for those options is likely significantly higher as well.

How do you know this?

It's pretty standard that the team is on the hook for the full salary unless another team hires him. As he has been relieved of his duties, he is generally allowed to seek other employment, but even if he finds another job he will still need permission from the Canucks to be released from his current contract.

How do you know this?

It's pretty standard that the team is on the hook for the full salary unless another team hires him. As he has been relieved of his duties, he is generally allowed to seek other employment, but even if he finds another job he will still need permission from the Canucks to be released from his current contract.

It was reported by Gallagher (citing 'sources') that Torts has a clause that greatly reduces the payout in the event he's fired, and he speculated Gillis also has a similar clause. In that event the cheques would be smaller, but they'd still be coming.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Gallagher+howls+Gillis+lynched/9716113/story.html

you are insane if you think he won't find another gm job in this league..

It was reported by Gallagher (citing 'sources') that Torts has a clause that greatly reduces the payout in the event he's fired, and he speculated Gillis also has a similar clause. In that event the cheques would be smaller, but they'd still be coming.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Gallagher+howls+Gillis+lynched/9716113/story.html

Fair enough.

I still stand by my second point though. Don't burn your bridges, it's bad form.

Archived