The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft #6

Royals123423

Just be glad the Canucks didn't pick 7th.

The Canucks have drafted 7th three times in their history.

Rick Lanz

Dale Woodley

Alek Stojanov

Lets just say those players didn't become stars.

We have also drafted 5th once (Rick Vaive who played 47 games with the Canucks), and we have drafted 8th once (Jason Herter played 1 NHL game).

The Canucks have never drafted 6th overall in their history.

Who's Dale Woodley? Unless you meant Dan Woodley. Alek Stojanov was a excellent pick only because it got us Markus Naslund.

I'd take Draisaitl over Ritchie. I think this team will benefit from having a more dynamic centre to pair with Horvat after Henrik and Kesler are done in a few years.

Draisaitl

Horvat

Absolutely. If Draisaitl is there then we absolutely take him.

What would be a total shocker would be if SNYPERS7 is correct and Ehlers is taken in the top 5. What then if Ritchie is as well?

There could be a couple of players who we didn't think would be available but are. Then we could have a choice between, say, Dal Colle and Draisaitl. Then it would get interesting.

Holy bud your a sick joke. Your so ashamed of being wrong and you cant even admit it. You cant justify anything your claiming about inaccuracy and your just coming off absolutely foolish. Your just making a mockery of yourself over and over. Couldn’t ask for more from you so keep it coming.

I guess we should just stop discussing things altogether then since we aren't NHL GMs or scouts or anything like that. Clearly there's no interest in doing so in any of the multiple threads on the draft.

If you don't want to see discussion, perhaps you should just stay off the forums and only look at the rankings your posted until the day of the draft. You're way off base on this one Motza, not sure why you're trying to stifle discussion and attack theminister.

If the Canucks draft Ritchie. How long before he makes the jump? I'd say 1 year and then bring him up. Pointless leaving him in the OHL

Ritchie-Santroelli-Kassian

Pointless is trying to predict how soon a player we may or may not draft could make the jump to the NHL. There's lots of factors to consider - how he does at camp and his next junior year, who we have on our roster at the time or if we bring in other players through trade or free agency, etc.

If we draft him I'd say we wait and get a better look at him and then we can more reliably predict how far away he is from the NHL.

I think that's entirely likely that we are looking at another pick in that range. I'm not sure it will come from a flip of picks but possibly by moving a player out.

But I agree, that's exactly what we'd do. This draft is heavy on smaller, skilled forwards further down the chart. There will be a good gamble to take late in the 1st round.

Even more reason that I don't think we let Ritchie slip past us. If he even gets to us which he might not. in which case, that we get one of the top 5, we can go after a d-man or BPA.

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping Calgary takes Ritchie because that would likely slide either Draisaitl or Dal Colle to #6 (and I'd be happy with either one). I won't be anything near to unhappy with Ritchie, I just have some doubts that make me a tad nervous (can't put my finger on them exactly, just don't feel confident he'll reach his full potential).

As for acquiring a late 1st rounder, I'm not sure what the market will be. Probably #36 + #66 would be more likely to yield something in the #26-30 range (than the 18-25 range I'm hoping).

With this draft, I feel like it drops off into a second tier pretty early but there's also a fairly large group of players who could be ranked (on various team's charts) anywhere between #15 and #45. So I don't know how much difference there is in value between a late 1st and an early 2nd. In other drafts (like 2013), it's not close and you need to add a 2nd rounder just to move up two spots in the late 1st round. But in this draft, I can see teams being more willing to trade position for volume.

I'd definitely try shopping our 2nd and 3rd to see how high a pick might be available.

As for trading roster players for picks, I'd rather look to add 2015 1st rounders (deeper draft), but every team wants picks in that draft so they might not be very easy to acquire.

And while this year's draft class isn't considered very strong or deep, there are several players in that "smaller, skilled" category who I'd be happy to take in that #15-45 range.

I've been pretty high on Robby Fabbri and I'd love to see the Canucks find a way to grab him (with a late 1st or early 2nd).

Yeah, some decent skill from what I understand with Fabbri, but smaller still than Nylander or Ehlers. There are a could of defencemen I'd consider with our original 2nd before even trading up, as well as some forwards, but if we can get someone like Jensen or Shinkaruk who wasn't expected to fall as far with a later 1st, then all the better.

That really has really look to it.

What is the other top 6 line of the future?

Shinkaruk-______-Jensen???

Might be better to split up the power game a bit.

I was thinking Mcdavid. We're talking about an elite set-up man with snipers on either side. The line would be speedy and all 3 of those guys have their own unique skillsets. However all the anti-tankers will pounce on me quicker than Nikolaj Ehlers so I'd better hide my opinion

Yeah, some decent skill from what I understand with Fabbri, but smaller still than Nylander or Ehlers. There are a could of defencemen I'd consider with our original 2nd before even trading up, as well as some forwards, but if we can get someone like Jensen or Shinkaruk who wasn't expected to fall as far with a later 1st, then all the better.

No question Fabbri is small (last chart I read had him 5'10.25" and 171 lbs) but he's also very strong on his skates and his compete level is off the charts.

He also owns a skillset that's nearly as good as the Nylander/Ehlers type of guys and his skating is considered elite among this draft class.

58 GP, 45 G, 42 A, 87 PTS, 55 PIM, +45 (Playoffs: 6 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 PTS, 2 PIM, +4)

Another 2" height and 20 lbs and Fabbri would be a consensus top-10 pick this year.

But he's also growing and will likely be 5'11" by the start of next season. His low centre of gravity body type is one that allows the addition of mass without messing up his balance and mobility.

My belief is that he might end-up adding enough height and weight that he won't even be considered "small" when he's fully developed. I'm thinking he becomes a Jeff Skinner type.

Ideally, he could get to around 5'11" (maybe even 6'0") and 190-195lbs when he's in his early 20s.

I've posted video and scouting reports in the prospects board draft thread but here's a decent summary from Elite Prospects:

Fabbri is a below average sized buzz saw who works hard and has some of the best feet in the entire draft. He uses his speed and mobility to be shifty and elusive but is also willing to play physical. His hands are skilled, he shows some creativity on the ice and has a quick shot release.

The only thing I'd add to that report is that Fabbri is one of the most aggressive and effective forecheckers in the OHL (#mrforecheck). Just is case Torts gets another year. ;)

No question Fabbri is small (last chart I read had him 5'10.25" and 171 lbs) but he's also very strong on his skates and his compete level is off the charts.

He also owns a skillset that's nearly as good as the Nylander/Ehlers type of guys and his skating is considered elite among this draft class.

58 GP, 45 G, 42 A, 87 PTS, 55 PIM, +45 (Playoffs: 6 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 PTS, 2 PIM, +4)

Another 2" height and 20 lbs and Fabbri would be a consensus top-10 pick this year.

But he's also growing and will likely be 5'11" by the start of next season. His low centre of gravity body type is one that allows the addition of mass without messing up his balance and mobility.

My belief is that he might end-up adding enough height and weight that he won't even be considered "small" when he's fully developed. I'm thinking he becomes a Jeff Skinner type.

Ideally, he could get to around 5'11" (maybe even 6'0") and 190-195lbs when he's in his early 20s.

I've posted video and scouting reports in the prospects board draft thread but here's a decent summary from Elite Prospects:

The only thing I'd add to that report is that Fabbri is one of the most aggressive and effective forecheckers in the OHL (#mrforecheck). Just is case Torts gets another year. ;)

I'd love to enter this conversation but, due to my CDCGML fantasy league team, I am precluded from exposing my preferences ahead of our own draft. I don't wan to tip my hat on 2nd-3rd rounders.

This year I don't pick until 11th overall so the top 10 are fair pickings for me.

Suffice to say, SID is correct IMHO. The talent is pretty good until 45-50th. After that it drops off.

What do you guys think about Kesler+Hansen+5th Round for 1st overall+3rd Round so we have 1st and 6th

then take:

1st-Aaron Ekblad

And then if anyone from 2-5 falls take them or take:

6th-Nick Ritchie

Thoughts?

Kesler and Hansen aren't worth the 1st overall to Florida imo

Kesler, and our 6th to Buffalo for their 2nd overall and Tyler Ennis

Edler and Cassels and our 2 nd rounder to FLA for the top pick

Then we pick Reinhart and Ekblad.

We should contend within 3 years with a lineup like this.

Shink Horvat Reinhart

Daniel Hank Kassian

Burrows Mathias Higgins

______ _______ ______

Hamhuis Ekblad

Garrison Tanev

_______ Corrado

Kesler, and our 6th to Buffalo for their 2nd overall and Tyler Ennis

Edler and Cassels and our 2 nd rounder to FLA for the top pick

Then we pick Reinhart and Ekblad.

We should contend within 3 years with a lineup like this.

Shink Horvat Reinhart

Daniel Hank Kassian

Burrows Mathias Higgins

______ _______ ______

Hamhuis Ekblad

Garrison Tanev

_______ Corrado

Florida laughs and hangs up the phone on the Florida trade and Buffalo doesn't do the Kesler deal cause they are in full rebuild and have little use for Kesler in comparison to solid prospects.

i DO NOT want Viritanen. I've heard way too many bad things about him:

• almost all of his goals come off the rush (couldnt score when he was in the offensive zone for an exteded period of time)
  • he benefits from having 2 high-scoring overaged players on his line
  • on a team with a high shooting percentage he has a disturbingly low amount of assits

the Canucks need to draft guys with high end offensive skill (nylander or ehlers) but of course Linden has already said SIZE and skill. So gotta figure its gonna be one of Ritchie, Virtanen (please no), Perlini, or Tuch. I dont know why but i got a strong feeling its gonna be Perlini for whatever reason (not that i want them to)

the Canucks need to draft guys with high end offensive skill (nylander or ehlers) but of course Linden has already said SIZE and skill. So gotta figure its gonna be one of Ritchie, Virtanen (please no), Perlini, or Tuch. I dont know why but i got a strong feeling its gonna be Perlini for whatever reason (not that i want them to)

What? No way...I feel that Draistal or Dal Colle have the size and skill linden is looking for. Ritchie or Virtanen are not 6'5 guys, they are more like 6'1 which is about the same height or a bit shorter than Dal Colle.

Archived