The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

Yea I would pass. He got suspended twice for bullying a teammate. Benning ain't got no time for that.

He's had difficulties but if the Canucks got a sense that he would mature out of it then I would gladly take him.

He's had difficulties but if the Canucks got a sense that he would mature out of it then I would gladly take him.

At the end of the day, Deangelo might get dropped to the 5th-7th round. Top 5 skill, but too much headaches. For sure, there are teams that look at the guy, thinks cancer, and crosses him off their list completely. He'll be lucky, if he gets picked in the 2nd round. I think he'll drop even further. 3rd round the earliest.

Ho-Sang's attitude problems are fixable. Not really sure, Deangelo can change.

DeAngelo is a guy I would stay far away from. Just too many red flags with him.

He has done much more than use a slur against someone during a game in the OHL. He made "the most inappropriate statement" towards his very own teammate. Said team-mate was so offended, he brought it up to his GM. The GM felt it was serious enough to defer the matter to the League Office. The League suspended him for 8 games and the Team released a statement saying they fully agree with the punishment. He has also been suspended internally by the team before, so don't think this is one-off situation.

That says to me, firstly, that when your own teammates turn on you, there's major problems going on here. There are a lot of cocky players in the CHL, but this is on a different level. And rumour out of Sarnia is that some teammates simply hate the guy. Just watch him stare down his teammates when a goal is scored against them and it doesn't become so hard to believe.

I see hopeful comments in your post, hoping he will learn, mature, if he is willing to do so. But the thing is this guy simply does not learn. People, who have played with and against him when they were younger, have stated he hasn't changed at all. For a more recent example: DeAngelo was suspended for abuse of officials, two games. The first game after the suspension, guess what? He abuses an official and gets a penalty and a game misconduct. In subsequent games, he has also been seen abusing officials.

Some people see this as a guy who plays with passion. I see a nut case with deep-seeded problems.

Sure...a player can be big, strong, & extremely skilled...but without intelligence or character...I don't want him on my NHL team. Coach-ability & humility are bred. Doesn't sound like these things are in this guy's DNA. Pass. And - if you can't understand this...can you say - Alexander Radulov?

http://youtu.be/pAKVit8e4Gg

If you take out Eklad and Fleury who are the next best 5 defenders available? I really hope the Canucks take a defender with their 2nd pick as they desperately need a young quality offensive dman, to compliment Tanev and Corrado as this team grows. It's been great to see the Canucks pick up good defensive defensemen in the later rounds over the past couple of drafts but they need to search for that Webber/Subban/Keith guy which seems to come around in the second round occasionally.

So who has the best potential to fit that role outside of the two I have mentioned?

Brayden Point would be a steal here, or possibly Nick Schmaltz. Schmaltz has been passed up to around 30-35 in some mock drafts I've seen, his offensive game is excellent and looks like a definite 40-50 point guy and a 2nd line center with his skills.

Brayden Point being passed up in the draft because of his size, alot of players in the past have been and they are now NHL stars.

Wouldn't mind John Quenneville either he is a stud offensively with alot of weapons. Almost PPG with 58 in 61.

Here's a wicked stat about Brayden Point, only 7 more under 19 year olds in the CHL got more points than him!

Or he was the youngest player in the top 30, in WHL scoring

I'm hoping the Canucks go Dub, Dub and more Dub this season. A lot of good talent out west this year.

Let's hope DeAngelo drops due to his attitude issues. Although I'm usually hesitant on that kind of player, at 36 he would be a major steal.

Without talking with him and the people that were around him this season I don't think you can make a true decision on DeAngelo. One thing is for sure, DeAngelo is a top-20 talent in the draft.

I think you do your research on him and if you like him you take him.

As well, if the Canucks acquire another 1st or second pick, I think you swing for the fences with the 36 pick and take a shot on DeAngelo.

If you take out Eklad and Fleury who are the next best 5 defenders available? I really hope the Canucks take a defender with their 2nd pick as they desperately need a young quality offensive dman, to compliment Tanev and Corrado as this team grows. It's been great to see the Canucks pick up good defensive defensemen in the later rounds over the past couple of drafts but they need to search for that Webber/Subban/Keith guy which seems to come around in the second round occasionally.

So who has the best potential to fit that role outside of the two I have mentioned?

I would say next top 5 are(in no order): Mckweon, Honka, Sanheim, Brycen, and DeAngelo.

I'm hoping Honka falls to 36th. He's undersized for a defenseman at 5'11" and this was his first season in the WHL.

Personally, I feel Ho-Sang has made enough strides throughout the year to dispel some of those concerns. He showed the ability to be coachable and to lead his team when they were without a leader. He has also worked hard to improve his game from what it was last season.

As someone who values attitude higher than most, I do find Ho-Sang cocky, but i haven't heard it rubbing teammates the wrong way or any other issues this season. Ho-Sang is cocky in the same way Domi is; in many ways, it feeds into their game and helps them play the way they do.

I still think if he is there at 36, i would take him without hesitation. His ability to adapt showed that there is definitely more here and couple that with his skill, which is top 10-15, i think he would be a great pick, although with some risk (same risk as i see in Nylander TBH).

He is ranked seemingly between our 2nd and 3rd. Not sure if i'd reach a tiny bit on him for our 2nd. But i'd be ecstatic if he's there at our 3rd.

I could see him dropping because of perceived attitude. If it is an old attitude that he is changing it is good. Cockiness can be a good thing, you want people with confidence, as long as it is not too cocky. His skill could make him explosive as a player and if he is willing to learn, I am all for him being on our list.

I would say next top 5 are(in no order): Mckweon, Honka, Sanheim, Brycen, and DeAngelo.

I'm hoping Honka falls to 36th. He's undersized for a defenseman at 5'11" and this was his first season in the WHL.

I would love to maybe pick up Honka at 36, I think he will be gone by then, him and McKweon. the others I would grab at 3rd

Here's the second round of a mock draft...http://www.puckrant.com/Calgary_Flames/Second_Round_Mock_DraftThoughts on Pastrnak?

he was ranked much higher earlier in the season wasn't he? Could be a steal if the only reason he dropped is because some chl kids took flight.

I heard he's got major heart. Could be a pretty good player if he's as skilled as they say he is and has a Hansen like heart. I'd take him with our second for sure if he's there.

I wouldn't mind Pastrnak or Jakub Vrana at 36th.

Vrana is another beauty pick if he goes in the second. Seen a little bit of him on TV. He looked like he could be one of those late firsts that hits the ground runnin Hertl style.

he was ranked much higher earlier in the season wasn't he? Could be a steal if the only reason he dropped is because some chl kids took flight.

I heard he's got major heart. Could be a pretty good player if he's as skilled as they say he is and has a Hansen like heart. I'd take him with our second for sure if he's there.

Pastrnak is generally ranked in the 1st round. The reason why he is slipping a bit is not due to CHL players rising, its due to his season ending injury sustained in February. He got absolutely blown up and sustained a pretty bad upper body injury and i've heard rumours of a possible concussion. Then he comes back for the U18s and he simply did not look like the same player.

He was truly a frustrating player to watch at the tournament. He was reckless with the puck, so many turnovers. I'm not sure he is seeing the ice very well, so many shots blocked, passes intercepted. But he had some dangerous rushes and a few of those shots made it to the net. Poor performance, IMO.

Vrana has also been a very mixed bag. I don't think i was impressed by him even once in any viewing of him prior to the 2014 U18s. Didn't impress much in the SHL. Then exploded and surprised me at the U18s. Plays a very mature game, was dynamic off the wing, showed some great speed. Good understanding of the game. A stark contrast to what Pastrnak brought who was wild with his decisions with the puck. Was it just a few good games or is he wildly inconsistent? Its such a small sample size so its tough to tell.

Pastrnak is generally ranked in the 1st round. The reason why he is slipping a bit is not due to CHL players rising, its due to his season ending injury sustained in February. He got absolutely blown up and sustained a pretty bad upper body injury and i've heard rumours of a possible concussion. Then he comes back for the U18s and he simply did not look like the same player.

He was truly a frustrating player to watch at the tournament. He was reckless with the puck, so many turnovers. I'm not sure he is seeing the ice very well, so many shots blocked, passes intercepted. But he had some dangerous rushes and a few of those shots made it to the net. Poor performance, IMO.

Vrana has also been a very mixed bag. I don't think i was impressed by him even once in any viewing of him prior to the 2014 U18s. Didn't impress much in the SHL. Then exploded and surprised me at the U18s. Plays a very mature game, was dynamic off the wing, showed some great speed. Good understanding of the game. A stark contrast to what Pastrnak brought who was wild with his decisions with the puck. Was it just a few good games or is he wildly inconsistent? Its such a small sample size so its tough to tell.

If that is the case I think I pass on Pastrnak. Yes he has talent but these injuries are very iffy and there are so many other good players to draft, why take a risk?

I wouldn't mind taking Vladislav Kamenev if he fell to 36th. I know he's Russian but he's done an interview saying he will come to NA to play in the CHL/AHL. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=721117

"I want to come here next season and my agent is currently in talks with team management in Magnitogorsk and I hope they will let me come here," Kamenev told NHL.com through interpreter Natalia Taran.

Rostyslav Saglo, who serves as Kamenev's agent in the KHL, confirmed for NHL.com that conversations have been ongoing with Magnitogorsk with regard to his contract. He said a decision should be rendered within the week.

"We are working on the termination of his contract and Vlad does want to play in North America next year in order to get closer to his dream of playing in NHL," Saglo wrote in an email. "We believe that he'll get a better development and more ice time on your side of the ocean, which is crucial at his age."

Reading the hockey news addition and it said it was a back injury. Partly due to the fact why he was not as good as peopel were expecting in the U18's tourney.

Pastrnak plays a very reckless style of game much like Taylor Hall. Where he just goes all out but ends up hurting himself in the process because he is playing that style of game where he will do just about anything to get the puck on his stick. He isn't the biggest player either at 6 ft and only 168lbs, he isn't the most sturdiest of players.

His skill you can't deny and if at the draft he falls to our plate in the second round, you can't pass up on it. However you will have to try and teach him to play a game that won't make him self destruct himself in the process.

Archived