The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the Canucks have the most difficult pick in the draft?

Bo Horvat

Actually...I would say Edmonton has the hardest pick in the draft.

They pick third. Their needs are on defense period. Secondary is a ig rugged and skilled Centerman of which they have none.

If Ekblad and Reinhart go 1st and 2nd, this leaves the Oilers in a very unenviable position.

Do they use a massive 3rd overall pick to draft Draisatl or Fleury?

Or do they trade down and hope to god that the player they want is still there. Or package that pick and a player (Gagner/Yakupov) for a guy like Weber or someone comparable?

We have the decision of drafting a solid PWF or skilled European or one of the top 5 should they fall like Draisatl, Dal Colle or even Bennett. That is not a hard pick at all, hell we could even trade down 2 spots and still get the guy we want out of that mix and net an extra 2nd and 3rd for our troubles.

But Edmonton....man oh man they've really gotta get this right for the overall health and future of their franchise because I don't think Edmonton fans will support this mess anymore if they screw up

I've hated Edmonton for so long and I want Ekblad and Reinhart to be gone just so Edmonton doesn't get what they want. However, another part of me just feels bad for their fanbase. They have been faithful for so long and have watched to team suck for so long... I would take Draisaitl if I were them though they have some good speed up front, they don't absolutely need another speedster

Double huh.

Maybe you should have just saved face and said "Oops, I forgot about that."

It's been widely talked about and mostly agreed upon that if Kesler goes to Anaheim we are getting something along the lines of Ottawa's 1st + Etem + Vatanen/Theodore.

Not really sure what I need to save face about.

It's been widely talked about and mostly agreed upon that if Kesler goes to Anaheim we are getting something along the lines of Ottawa's 1st + Etem + Vatanen/Theodore.

Not really sure what I need to save face about.

I knew what you were getting at FWIW.

take who falls from the top 5, which very well could be Sam Reinhart if teams want big, tough players

OR

I personally like Haydn Fleury a lot

Am I the only one?

I was really high on him but him droping a few spots kinda turned me off. He's a two way defenseman and is physical. Anybody know why he fell?

Yeah, I have to agree. Unless one of the top 5 falls into our lap, picking 6th place is tough when you have a number of players in the same range. As someone mentioned, trading our spot a couple of picks down is a good idea for an additional 2nd rounder (since that is the going rate in past drafts to make a switch) or even trading our 1st round pick this year to a weaker team next year for their first round selection in a stronger draft.

If a top 5 player falls to us than no.

But if what is expected that none of them fall, than it becomes a tough decision because Nylander, Ehlers, Kapanen, RItchie, Virtanen, Fleury, McCann etc are not much better than one another. THey are all at around the same level with different pros and cons that pretty much level off at around the same. So the hard decision comes to who to select out of that batch of players.

No. There's just a lot more pressure on them now to make the correct pick. Esp. with Linden here now.

When we were picking Schroeder nobody really cared as the team was looking good.

When we were picking Grabner and White off the board, it was expected because of Nonis.

If the first thing Linden does is pick somebody horrible and/or off the board, well, that ain't good.

I sure as hell cared lol. I totally agree the pressure is high to make a good pick. It all comes down to how good the teams in front of us draft and what is left at our pick.

We need scoring, scoring and more scoring. Some size would help too. As much as i love Shink's skill and heart he needs 3 more inches and 30 pounds.

Ritchie has about 70% the stick/shooting skill Kapanen or Ehlers has

Once his skating improves from NHL fitness experts and he gains another 10% of that skill he will be a top 10 dominant PF in the league for a decade

Archived