The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

again i love how cdc'ers claim some kid in the ohl is sooo much better than a guy who's developed over three years and is an emerging power forward in the nhl

you people really are something

1. edler is an allstar - after one great year

2. edler sucks after one bad year

3. Horvat = bergeron - yet he's never played an nhl game

4. Lou rocks

5. Lou sucks

6. Trade schnieder

7. why did we trade schnieder

8. kesler is god

9. trade kesler

10. sedins are amazing

11. sedins suck

12. kassian is a bust

13. kassian is the man

ya know...it takes time for an ohl'er to make an impact in the nhl and even make it. suggesting some kid who didnt even play on team canada is somehow 'better' than kassian - well is just plain

RE TARD ED

moreover you may want to see how many players drafted even in the first round, ever stick in the nhl before you claim a kid who has never played vs men and in the nhl is somehow a better passer than kassian lol

see Kassian does it against pro's and is probably the second best on the NHL team beyond Henrik

lmao

retarded

Lol, that is kind of what happens when you go on a website filled with people who don't all have the exact same opinion. Just because I think Kesler should stay, doesn't mean everyone else does. Are you honestly shocked that fans seem have different opinions than one another? And you say CDC'ers say these things. Yeah, because they are all fans and have a mind of their own. You think other teams fan bases don't say the same thing? The other day, I heard Penguins fans saying they wanted to try to trade Malkin for a huge return because they don't think the current path of Crosby and Malkin is going to get it done anymore. He would rather take the ocean of players and prospects than have him. So what? Am I supposed to be shocked he has a different opinion than others? lol.

And what they are saying is that they will be better in the long run. Kassian is much further in his development than Drouin as he has played multiple years in the NHL. Is it fair to assume that when Drouin is Kassians age, he will be much more effective? I think so. It's the same concept, just swap out the players with whoever you choose.

Virtanen is so hyped on these boards that it is beyond ridiculous. Kassian is much better than virtanen since he is already a top 6 in the NHL. Who knows if Virtnen even makes the NHL, nevermind being better than kassian.

Kassian is not already a top 6 in the NHL, but when we're comparing prospects, we're comparing them... As prospects.

Kassian is more of the Lucic-type than Ritchie is, certainly. But the offensive ceilings are similar due to typical big man consistency issues.

Virtanen's offensive ceiling is way higher because of his elite speed and shot.

I was listening to the Canucks Army draft special podcast and they made some very good points about Jake Virtanen. They pointed out that he has been playing with two over agers the majority of the year and this wouldd have likely inflated his numbers a little bit. Now, I am not saying that Virtanen wouldn't be a bad pick but he would be a high risk/high reward type of prospect especially at #6. There is no denying that he is a very talented hockey player. I wouldn't either be against drafting him but I think that there are other options that would be safer pics like Nick Ritchie, Brendan Perlini and Haydn Fleury.

I think we will have an excellent chance to grab a very talented player this year either way. Who ever we pick that has been around the 3-8 spots all year will have a very good career in the NHL and I just hope that the scouting staff have done their homework and pick the best player available and that might very well be Jake Virtanen. I wanted the Canucks to pick him earlier in the year when they would be drafting at the #8-#10 spots.

I have a good feeling about Virtanen.

First reason: He was drafted 1st overall in the bantam draft. Junior GM are not stupid.

Second reason: Got good combination of size and speed. In the playoffs you need guys like that.

Third reason: Canadian Boy, Local BC boy. Will play his heart out for the Canucks.

I agree. I think he has the foundation to be a solid NHL'r as he continues to physically mature (the kid is only 17, just wait till he hits his mid 20's!), and work on other aspects of his game to be a better all around player.

He seems to have a very nonchalant cockiness too which I find pretty funny. Casually skaiting by and high 5ing the other team made me laugh.

To those who yap about Ritchie's concussion watch his fights this yr against Hunter Smith Ht-6-6 Wt-210 and Josh Brown Ht-6-4 Wt-215 he also fought Justice Dundas in a preseason game and beat the tar out of him Dundas is 1 of the tougher OHL tough guys so i doubt the concussion is an issue :emot-parrot: ps can any of those other prospects fight any of these guys and win no way the guys that Virtanen fought are his size and seem to get the better of him in those fights!

Kassian is not already a top 6 in the NHL, but when we're comparing prospects, we're comparing them... As prospects.

Kassian is more of the Lucic-type than Ritchie is, certainly. But the offensive ceilings are similar due to typical big man consistency issues.

Virtanen's offensive ceiling is way higher because of his elite speed and shot.

he has one of the best backhand's I've seen in a long time. Guy can pretty much roof it whenever he wants.

He is not worthy of a 6th overall pick.

He has a low level of hockey-IQ, not NHL (or let alone a high-level) calibre at any degree.

GREAT player, I love Virtanen, but I would only draft a finisher of his level at a pick of 9 - 15.

Nick Ritchie is NOT Zack Kassian.

Ritchie started out as a playmaker, working on his size and speed, and then as he grew in size, he learned to pick corners with more shots that he would take at the net. He learned that shooting with accuracy is just as important as feeding the puck to players like MacKinnon and Drouin at the U18s. When he reached the OHL level, they directed him to play a gritty, Milan Lucic-style PWF game. He is big, mean, dominant, and undeniably skilled. Not that Kassian isn't, but Kassian was never considered to have top-5 skill.

If Ritchie had been healthy for the entirety of his junior and youth league career, he would be the top prospect in this year's draft. Concussion issues, and that shoulder injury bug have bogged him down in the rankings as an injury prone player with a high-risk, ENORMOUS-reward factor.

Yup we will be lucky to get Ritchie :)

I know a few people who are graduating with him this year and they say he's as cocky as it gets. I don't want a snob on the team. Apparently he's like tyler seguin minus the elite skill.

Dr. Recchi said more swag is needed here. He is correct.

High-fiving the oppposing bench after a goal? LOL! Sweet.

Virtanen is so hyped on these boards that it is beyond ridiculous. Kassian is much better than virtanen since he is already a top 6 in the NHL. Who knows if Virtnen even makes the NHL, nevermind being better than kassian.

If he wasn't a bc boy, no one here would even be talking about him

You mean if we didn't have a 6th overall pick, no one here would be talking about him.

He's as fast or faster than Ehlers at 30-40 more lbs and has a better shot than Nylander or Ritchie.

I know a few people who are graduating with him this year and they say he's as cocky as it gets. I don't want a snob on the team. Apparently he's like tyler seguin minus the elite skill.

Well, that's what the AHL is for. If he is picked and he does have some issues, going back to being a small fish might cure some of them.

Some truth here. +1

You mean if we didn't have a 6th overall pick, no one here would be talking about him.

He's as fast or faster than Ehlers at 30-40 more lbs and has a better shot than Nylander or Ritchie.

Also some truth here. +1

regards,

G.

Virtanen isn't a 6th pick, so your comparison is off a bit.

OK, well some people seem to say that he should be considered for that pick. Bottom line is, people have to recognize the huge drop off after the first one, two, maybe three picks, and have realistic expectations. Horvat was ninth pick and he is not likely to play until the season after next and it is likely to be at least a couple of years before he can make a real impact, change games, and that is if things work out very well. Virtanen could not impact a WHL playoff series, he is faaaaaar from being able to impact an NHL game. Maybe some day, in 4-5 years. Maybe.

Who do you want us to grab at #6 oldnews? I'm guessing Ritchie?

I don't really know Smashian.

Who will be available at 6 isn't all that clear either.

I simply don't see enough of all these young players to make a call - and in the end, it's really an inexact science in any event.

It would be hard to argue with a number of these choices - Draisaitl (who ISS has at 6), Nylander, Ritchie, Virtanen - all have tremendous potential.

One thing this is intriguing about Virtanen is how young he is, coupled with his size and speed. The Canucks (and any team) can always use a pure goal scorer (and his vision is probably not nearly as relative as his assist totals suggest). I'm not really sold on rankings - but with that kind of size and speed at 17 yrs old, it's hard to imagine he won't become an effective NHLer in some form.

If there's one thing that I find unfortunate about this draft,, it's the number or quality blueliners in the Canucks range of picks. After drafting a great deal of forwards in recent years, it would be nice to add a premier young defenseman to the mix. I wouldn't be shocked if the Canucks took Fleury. I also like Honka - he's undersized and may size out around 6' and 200lb, so he's not big, but he is swift, shifty, has great skills, and is the type of prospect I think the team could stand to add to the mix. I'd love to see the Canucks add another pick in a deal and pick up Honka - just a hunch about him aside from the talent (get a real character sense from him), that's all.

Archived