The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Sestito

Kevo882

Unreal. I'm first line PWF material.

Do you guys not remember that Anaheim game where John put me on the power play and we scored twice?

smh

Sorry to have called you a turtle in my earlier post...if it makes you feel any better, I'm even slower than a turtle, maybe even sloth-like on the ice. I had to retire from Adult Safe Hockey League three years ago because I was fat and out of shape and unable to keep up with the old timers in division 6 (div 6 of all things!!! How shameful is that?).

guy literally fought his way on to the team, has hands, if he can have a huge offseason he could actually be useful for than just facepunching.

Sestito-Kelser-Kassian looked great for the couple shifts they got than we never saw that combo again.

i will be choked if we throw away another guy that has fought hard for the jersey.

Vancouver thought that Sestito could add the much neded toughness to the team. And indeed Sestito had the most number of fights and penalty minutes ih the NHL. Did he help Vancouver to be a tougher team to play against? Not a bit and Vancouver was still an easy team to push around with the twins in the lineup. But with his very limited ice-time, playing against the opposition 4th liners mostly, Sestito is a huge minus 14 the whole season. Did Sestito hurt the team for having him in the lineup? Definitely yes for statistics showed there was a high chance Vancouver would be scored against whenever he was on ice, not to mention the PP goals Vancouver gave up on his needless penalties. It was a stupid move for Vancouver to give up on a 4th liner who could play in Lapierre and got a Sestito who could not skate, make play.

There is no more place for pure goons in modern day NHL. Ridiculously, 6 of 7 Canadian teams are not playing in the playoffs this year. All 6 loser teams still have their 4th lines filled with goons who could not play and that put a lot of stress on their top lines to score in every game. Montreal is different because they have a 4th line the coach could put on ice to play in OT during playoffs. All recent championship teams had 4th lines which could play, help kill penalties and score the occasional big goals.

For almost a decade now, Vancouver's 4th line has always been outplayed and out-scored by the opposition, always a liability. Improving the 4th is of no less importance than fixing the top lines for Vancouver. Getting rid of goons who cannot play is the first solution.

Vancouver thought that Sestito could add the much neded toughness to the team. And indeed Sestito had the most number of fights and penalty minutes ih the NHL. Did he help Vancouver to be a tougher team to play against? Not a bit and Vancouver was still an easy team to push around with the twins in the lineup. But with his very limited ice-time, playing against the opposition 4th liners mostly, Sestito is a huge minus 14 the whole season. Did Sestito hurt the team for having him in the lineup? Definitely yes for statistics showed there was a high chance Vancouver would be scored against whenever he was on ice, not to mention the PP goals Vancouver gave up on his needless penalties. It was a stupid move for Vancouver to give up on a 4th liner who could play in Lapierre and got a Sestito who could not skate, make play.

There is no more place for pure goons in modern day NHL. Ridiculously, 6 of 7 Canadian teams are not playing in the playoffs this year. All 6 loser teams still have their 4th lines filled with goons who could not play and that put a lot of stress on their top lines to score in every game. Montreal is different because they have a 4th line the coach could put on ice to play in OT during playoffs. All recent championship teams had 4th lines which could play, help kill penalties and score the occasional big goals.

For almost a decade now, Vancouver's 4th line has always been outplayed and out-scored by the opposition, always a liability. Improving the 4th is of no less importance than fixing the top lines for Vancouver. Getting rid of goons who cannot play is the first solution.

pretty sure the twins took more needless penalties than him most of his penalties took him and an opposing player off with him so how does that hurt the team.plus he has shown improvement in his actual game he looks like a guys that can actually play the game of hockey not just a goon. but that is just me i have always had a soft spot for the under dogs on the team like Rypien.

He gets the job done even though we all wish he could make 80% more of his passes connect.

A 4th line is an enigma to me, I think you need to get players like Gaunce and Matthias and Richardson playing on the 4th with tons of energy. If our depth ever gets to where it needs to be Sestito will be off the team hopefully.

Get the job done well and should stay at the 4th line, maybe a presence in front of the net on the PP if it struggles again this coming year, I don't see Archie being much of a "threat" on the 4th line and lain is almost there but he needs to get a bit more physical at the big level I think, But to buy him out is an absurd idea.. Extremely stupid

What does everyone think we should do with Tom Sestito? I personally think the guy is a useless goon who can't skate or do anything but fight. We need to get rid of him somehow but he's got another year left on his contract. Buy out? Trade? We've got Lain coming up who is similar size but is a much more well-rounded player.

I guess you didn't watch any Canucks games this season then. Sestito came a long way from goon to a pretty good player who could play a regular shift on the 3rd line or a 4th line in a balanced minute spread.

I say keep him for now but for our 4th line in the future I don't want Sestitos on our 4th line, I want guys with speed, reliability and be able to get on the forecheck quick. Guys like Richardson, Hansen, Lain, on our team and on other team guys like Cracknell, Lewis, Torres, Adams. Not just slow guys who really aren't that great at hockey.

The game is just too good that you can't afford to have a goon who doesn't play the game well enough to be a 4th liner. We need guys with speed and aren't afraid to hit, they don't have to be imtimidating like Sestito, McGrattan but just be able to play good simple hockey.

4th line of:

Cracknell - Richardson - Hansen this is a 4th line I would love to see because they can skate.

Sestito is ok as 13th next year.

XXXXXXX. Richardson Hansen should be out fourth, the left wing should be a fast Torres style player, not sure if Archie is ready to make the jump. Looked good this year. Or maybe big Lain, give us two guys taking the draws.

Just throwing it out there

Tom Sestito $78,000/point

Daniel Sedin $129,000/point

Henrik Sedin $122,000/point

Ryan Kesler $116,000/point

Production wise, you can't complain. He was a warrior for the blue and green and played his heart out. Yet people wanna replace him with guys that will NEVER even be a 4th line nhl mainstay(lain, archibald, etc).... Good Grief....

Archived