The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So can we assume A V wasn't the problem?

jerkstore1972

Shots on goal (not including blocks or missed the net) (which I assume would probably come close to doubling the counts)

LAK 194

NYR 146

LA completely outplayed NYR in this series with the exception of one game where they shut them out 3-0 while taking only 15 shots.

So no, this wasn't puck luck. LA won this.

They were talking about this on Primetime Sports. Coaches have to learn to coach to win, not coach because they are afraid to lose.

Case in point, LA were bringing the game to NYR throughout the overtimes. Defence pinching in (even Willie?!?) puck down deep with lots of pressure from wingers, NYR were playing a tenative "hope for a break" game instead of creating their own.

I think coaching makes up for 10 percent of a team.

Nash had the game on his stick and he couldnt get it an inch higher a half second earlier.

Richards had a wide open net and shot it way wide.

The ny rangers had like 3 plugs that serirs and the la kings had a 4th line worth 6million out play a 17 million dollar nash line.

Poor alain.

I don't think a team loses an entire series due to puck-luck. But I also don't buy the notion that AV is the sole issue but I do see issues.

Mainly, repeatedly blowing 2-goal leads and I also saw problems closing team out as well as not being able to come back from behind.

At the same time, it definitely does say something when a coach takes two different teams to the finals within three years.

we lost an entire season on puck luck.

I think coaching makes up for 10 percent of a team.

Nash had the game on his stick and he couldnt get it an inch higher a half second earlier.

Richards had a wide open net and shot it way wide.

The ny rangers had like 3 plugs that serirs and the la kings had a 4th line worth 6million out play a 17 million dollar nash line.

Poor alain.

so then why does everyone blame Tortorella for the season if he is only 10% responsible?

Vigneault's playoff record against Western coaches while in VAN.

vs Sutter 0-1

vs Quennville 1-2

vs Carlyle (fired) 0-1

vs Mclellan (fired) 1-1

vs Trotz (fired) 1-0

vs Tippet (fired) 1-0

vs A. Murray (fired) 1-0

vs T. Murray (fired) 1-0

My point is Vigneault isn't the only coach to get fired. Notice how both remaining coaches have won Cups recently.

So let's try to understand, he wasn't fired because he was bad. He was fired to make room for someone new. Just like every other team except recent winners.

Watching the LA/NYR series reminds me of how my head used to explode watching the Canucks try to protect a one goal lead under AV, usually unsuccessfully.

As soon as the Rangers get the lead they fall back into a "one man forechecking, 4 men back" system and just let the Kings come at them wave after wave. The Rangers have been outshot 25 - 3 in the third period in the last couple of games. The Canucks under AV did the same thing.

Good teams keep the pressure on once they have a lead.

I still think the Canucks did the right thing letting AV go but did the wrong thing hiring Torts - and allowing Gillis to tie up their cap space with long term contracts.

Exactly deja vu.

PBN7g.jpg

Yeh they were so bad they won 2 PT's and reached game 7 of the SC finals.

"On March 29, 2011, the Canucks clinched first place in the West for the first time in team history.[109] Two days later, they accomplished another first by securing the Presidents' Trophy.[110] Finishing with 54 wins and 117 points, the 2010–11 team broke the previous Canuck records in both categories by significant margins. Individually, numerous Canucks players had career years. Daniel Sedin won the Art Ross Trophy with a league-leading 104 points, marking the first time in NHL history that two brothers won the award in back-to-back years. Meanwhile, Ryan Kesler tied Daniel for the team goal-scoring lead with 41 goals. In goal, Roberto Luongo and rookie backup Cory Schneider captured the William M. Jennings Trophy for recording the lowest team goals against average in the NHL"

Who would want to watch a team like that?

Vigneault's playoff record against Western coaches while in VAN.

vs Sutter 0-1

vs Quennville 1-2

vs Carlyle (fired) 0-1

vs Mclellan (fired) 1-1

vs Trotz (fired) 1-0

vs Tippet (fired) 1-0

vs A. Murray (fired) 1-0

vs T. Murray (fired) 1-0

My point is Vigneault isn't the only coach to get fired. Notice how both remaining coaches have won Cups recently.

So let's try to understand, he wasn't fired because he was bad. He was fired to make room for someone new. Just like every other team except recent winners.

The philosophy of the self entitled and short sighted imo.

Well in all fairness he did take another team to the finals, so two finals with two different teams within 3 years and in his first year with the Rags.

But at the same time I did notice a lot of familiar patterns and issues like blown leads in series and in games and just praying your goaltender will keep the team in it. He also had a healthy squad this time around.

And in the end there just seemed to be no answer at all.

Well in all fairness he did take another team to the finals, so two finals with two different teams within 3 years and in his first year with the Rags.

But at the same time I did notice a lot of familiar patterns and issues like blown leads in series and in games and just praying your goaltender will keep the team in it. He also had a healthy squad this time around.

And in the end there just seemed to be no answer at all.

Second best again. AV just cannot make it over the top. Is that a stigma he will never over come?

Usually in 3 OT games you win at least 1 .... if they did, series would be at 3-2. I still think LA would win the SC in 6 but I don't think it was as lopsided as 4-1 series win looks, hockey gods tilted the ice in LA's favour.

Yes, NY needs to shed some dead weight and has potential to get better.

Second best again. AV just cannot make it over the top. Is that a stigma he will never over come?

The best team won: big mystery there. NY was never going to beat out LA.

Nobody expected NY to get to the finals. They beat Phi, Pits and Mon to get there and AV coached the team well. I think NYR fans are very happy with him and are looking forward to success in the future.

Imo, AV was hardly the reason for the Nucks decline after the SCF, fut was used as the scapegoat. In retrospect, it would have been better for everyone if they had left AV as coach and skipped the Torts experience.

That said, the Nucks have a new management structure and are heading in a new direction. JBTL will inevitably hire a coach that will lead the team in the direction they envision. I think it's likely that AV would have been cut anyways, as a new approach is probably what the management is looking for.

A laughable comment if you're not being sarcastic ... to suggest that losing in the SCF is somehow a shameful thing. Many other coaches wish they could have achieved this. Stigma? I think not. Pride maybe, to have gotten this far twice in recent years with two different teams.

Archived