The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Methods to increase goal scoring in NHL

ThatPope

This topic always seems to come up from time to time. What do you guys think are some things the NHL could do to increase goal scoring?

First of all, I think they should do away with "illegal curves". If a player thinks he can score more goals with a huge banana curve then let him use it. This rule just seems unnecessary.

I would also advocate that they experiment with the floating blue line. I don't think it would drastically change the way the game is played but it would create more offensive opportunities.

"Floating Blue Line": expansion of the offensive zones occurs once a team crosses the opponent's blue line with the ball. The attacking team will then have half of the entire playing surface within which to control the ball, from behind the opponent's goal to the center line of the area. If the defending team sends the ball past center, the zone is reset to the blue line and their opponent must regain it as explained above. See below for a visual of this rule.

bluelinerule.gif

Like ball hockey?

I've played with the floating blue line rule in 3-on-3 leagues. In the mini-rinks, it's almost necessary.

It's a pretty decent rule. I wouldn't mind seeing them experiment with it too.

Another way I have long advocated for increasing scoring is to still have a player serve their penalty if a goal is scored during a delayed penalty. It's not like the goal was scored on the power play. They should still serve their penalty.

Yes, exactly like ball hockey. It works well there, the least they could do is actually test it out to see if it would work well for the NHL game. Maybe it wouldn't work out to well, who knows. I think it would increase goal scoring though.

Get rid of the instigator rule. Increasing goal scoring is just to make the game more exciting. Could be more easily done by removing this rule and makes players more accountable for dirty hits.

Maybe they should make goalie equipment smaller again. God forbid we have extremely talented goalies.

Football (soccer) sized nets. Automatic 7 minute 5 on 3's for all teams not Vancouver for fighting :bigblush:

I've played with the floating blue line rule in 3-on-3 leagues. In the mini-rinks, it's almost necessary.

It's a pretty decent rule. I wouldn't mind seeing them experiment with it too.

Another way I have long advocated for increasing scoring is to still have a player serve their penalty if a goal is scored during a delayed penalty. It's not like the goal was scored on the power play. They should still serve their penalty.

This idea often gets mentioned. How about the rest of a minute's worth gets kaiboshed? Reward a team if they can score quickly.

EG:team scores a half minute into PP. Other team has to still remain on PK for 1 minute. If the goal comes after the first minute elapses-back to full strength, PP's done.

- Drop the blue line down will increase the chance of a breakaway going the other way

- Increase the nets from 6x4 to 7x5. Seems like every goalie is 6"2 or bigger now

- Offsetting pims after a fight; increase 4 on 4 time more space etc...

- Have the long change for two periods instead of one

- 3pts for a reg win, 2pts for an ot or shootwin

Get rid of the instigator rule. Increasing goal scoring is just to make the game more exciting. Could be more easily done by removing this rule and makes players more accountable for dirty hits.

Maybe they should make goalie equipment smaller again. God forbid we have extremely talented goalies.

Football (soccer) sized nets. Automatic 7 minute 5 on 3's for all teams not Vancouver for fighting :bigblush:

Don't wait for this. Concussion lawsuits are already starting to roll. Get out the Broad St Bully vids if you need a fix.

- Drop the blue line down will increase the chance of a breakaway going the other way- Increase the nets from 6x4 to 7x5. Seems like every goalie is 6"2 or bigger now- Offsetting pims after a fight; increase 4 on 4 time more space etc...- Have the long change for two periods instead of one- 3pts for a reg win, 2pts for an ot or shootwin

Bolded is a big no-no

Here is another one: remove the high stick call! Makes zero sense.

1mm below crossbar is a goal but 1mm above and all of sudden it is not a good goal? Even if the puck is in the air and you hit it with your stick, why should it be blown down? If you hit someone that is when you have a penalty.

Don't wait for this. Concussion lawsuits are already starting to roll. Get out the Broad St Bully vids if you need a fix.

There are more concussions from cheap shots that go unanswered then from fighting I assure you. They need to slow down the game not speed it up. Bring back 2 line passes if you don't want kids getting their heads taken off.

Ban the glove hand pass in the defensive zone, (kills offence)

Ban leaving skates to block shots (far to much sliding on face/belly)

require goalies to keep 1 skate on the ice

allow checking on goalies outside of the crease, when playing puck

DO NOT

allow goals directed or kicked with skate

allow players in crease

allow goals off gloves

Bolded is a big no-no

Why? The goalies today are massive and the players have nothing to shoot at. I can't stand it when goalies are on their knees (when the puck is in the corner) and they take up the whole net. This is not an athletic position. Image another square foot of space to pick the top corner. Goalies would be forced to be up right. Goal scoring could go up from 5.4 to 6.5 per game. Perhaps a small net increase of 6.5 x 4.5?

Here is another one: remove the high stick call! Makes zero sense.

1mm below crossbar is a goal but 1mm above and all of sudden it is not a good goal? Even if the puck is in the air and you hit it with your stick, why should it be blown down? If you hit someone that is when you have a penalty.

It actually makes a lot of sense, since you don't want players waiving their sticks around at shoulder level or above trying to knock in a puck for the safety of the other players around them. The crossbar level is slightly arbitrary but they need to have a visual reference for the level they can call a good goal.

But get rid of the instigator rule, the floating blue line and dropping the incidental penalty rule are interesting, change clearing over the glass from your own end to an icing style result instead of a penalty, etc. No go for any of the proposed goalie changes though, although I'd absolutely agree with larger nets now for players starting in minor hockey so that they could be switched eventually as it is something that really needs to be looked at considering the size of goalies increasing.

Bigger goalie equipment is a factor. There is just less net to shoot at. Yes goalies are bigger but not THAT much bigger than their predecessors. Though that is a losing argument as this would be viewed as a reduction in player safety which is paramount in the eyes of the league and PA. Installing bigger nets will just mean the padding will eventually catch up. Re-instating the 2 line pass would be a good idea and would help with player safety so I do not see why that angle hasn't been revisted other than the NHL not wanting to eat crow and bringing it back. The fast players will still be fast. All the great hockey players of the past seemed to do just fine with it.

require goalies to keep 1 skate on the ice

Really? No awful idea sorry.. Obviously you don't play goalie, that would be hard for every single goalie now in the NHL it's super rare to have a stand up style goalie nowadays. It would have a hell of a lot more goals scores that's for sure but then it takes the fun away greatly I believe. Just my honest opinion..

Here's a thought awful as it may be, Don't allow the team on the PK to ice the puck. Now I realize that's almost impossible to do and would slow the game down tremendously but it would definitely create a lot more goals/chances

I think this is a must if they want power plays to be a real advantage. If the PK team has to keep icing the puck, they will be dead tired by the end of 2 minutes.

I also think that the penalized team shouldn't be allowed to change immediately after the penalty is assessed.

Archived