The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Burke, Benning and Botterill in running for GM Job

benning wasn't involved in drafting kessel, lucic or marchand.

My mistake Benning became assistant gm for bruins during 2006 of July I guess those players got drafted couple months before that . Still can't take away for his eye for talent he did Draft Ryan Miller Brian Campbell Jason pominville

My mistake Benning became assistant gm for bruins during 2006 of July I guess those players got drafted couple months before that . Still can't take away for his eye for talent he did Draft Ryan Miller Brian Campbell Jason pominville

he was actually hired as director of player personnel in july 2006, and named assistant gm a year after that.

okay I could care less now about when he became assistant gm, I made the mistake and said I did but the conversation is about the drafts hes chosen and not when he became assistant gm, and clearly he has a eye for prospects, and so does tim burke. both good candidates in my eye

Well Burke was involved in trading Ehrhoff for scraps in order to get Heatley, which in hindsight was a poor trade. Carle and a 1st (Ashton) for Boyle, and Setoguchi and Coyle for Burns were both good trades.

Benning was involved in the Seguin for Eriksson, Smith, and Morrow trade which IMO is fairly even, but time will tell. The Kessel trade was obviously their best one, along with Raycroft for Rask.

Support players like Peverly, Kelly, and Kaberle were also good acquisitions that put them over the top. Weller, Bitz, and a 2nd for Seidenberg and Bartowski was also another good move.

I would say Benning has the edge in trades.

That is not an even trade at all. Dallas won that trade easily.

Funny how the same player is always involved in lopsided trades.

That is not an even trade at all. Dallas won that trade easily.

Funny how the same player is always involved in lopsided trades.

How is that not even?

Reilly Smith is a great young player who fits Boston's model way better than Seguin. And if you know who Morrow is, he's likely going to be a great top 4, two-way physical defenseman.

Eriksson also gives them a scoring punch this season that's helped them get to where they are.

Seguin is the best player in the trade, but the sum of the pieces Boston got back will make them a much more rounded team going forward.

In my eyes, Boston traded a young star and never gave him the opportunity at Center. Eriksson has been disappointing. If Smith didn't have a good year the trade would look terrible for Boston. Right now, the clear winner is Dallas although it could change in the future, the trade doesn't look good for Boston. If Smith keeps his play up, then it won't look too bad but Seguin killed it on Dallas. Eriksson is a 3rd liner on Boston and Dallas acquired Peverly, a 3rd liner in the same trade.

In my eyes, Boston traded a young star and never gave him the opportunity at Center. Eriksson has been disappointing. If Smith didn't have a good year the trade would look terrible for Boston. Right now, the clear winner is Dallas although it could change in the future, the trade doesn't look good for Boston. If Smith keeps his play up, then it won't look too bad but Seguin killed it on Dallas. Eriksson is a 3rd liner on Boston and Dallas acquired Peverly, a 3rd liner in the same trade.

Peverly's future is in doubt though.

We need Benning as GM and Tim Burke as AGM.

Hire one of Trotz, Johnston, Blashill

Trade Edler and our 6th for 1st..draft Ekblad.

Trade Kesler to Pitt for Pulliot, Sutter and 1st.

Check out UFAs Stastny etc

Groom our youth, with simliar styles in in both the main club and the farm.

Trade Garrison and/or Hamhuis plus any other old timers..for 2015 1st round picks.

Sign Schneider at next years FA period.

Trade Lack for a mid 1st round pick for 2016.

Our future Dcore and Goaltending

Ekblad Tanev

Pulliot Cederholm

Stanton Bieksa

Corrado Hutton

Schneider

Ericsson

p.s. Make all our youth players watch Mtl vs Bos game 6 2014 playoffs and tell them they better play like how Mtl did, with robust speed, determination and net protection.

Trade Garrison and/or Hamhuis plus any other old timers..for 2015 1st round picks.

Ekblad Tanev

Pulliot Cederholm

Stanton Bieksa

Corrado Hutton

Schneider

Ericsson

p.s. Make all our youth players watch Mtl vs Bos game 6 2014 playoffs and tell them they better play like how Mtl did, with robust speed, determination and net protection.

I like how schneider is our starter. He not going to sign with the team that practically told him he was staying then traded him :picard::picard:

so any one who throws up when they hear burkes name things the twins was a bad move by burke! just saying... i for one think burke did do a good job with some of vancouvers core players....

He also had a sideline job as a taxi cab driver........and liked to talk the talk about going to a phone to make that one call.

Ekblad Tanev

Pulliot Cederholm

Stanton Bieksa

Corrado Hutton

Schneider

Ericsson

New Jersey will not let Schneider walk. Even if they did, Vancouver would be the last place he would think of.

New Jersey will not let Schneider walk. Even if they did, Vancouver would be the last place he would think of.

Different coach and GM now.

Plus I'm sure he understands the circumstances of not being able to trade Lu at the time.

That being said, New Jersey will do everything they can to re-sign him. And even if he walks, I could see him signing with an Eastern Conference team like Philly to be closer to home.

Wouldn't mind a Schnied / lack duo but realistically I doubt he would come back after everything. I understand different management now but he is from the east coast and has stated he is happy being back closer to family and friends. I think the next place he signs he wants a confirmation that he is going in as the starter with a younger back up. His turn to lead and teach. Another year sharing with Brodeur is a possibility to I guess. Never hurts to try and learn everything from a goalie legend. Does Brodeur want another year though sharing or being a back up? Have the devils confirmed they want to resign Brodeur for next year?

Wouldn't mind a Schnied / lack duo but realistically I doubt he would come back after everything. I understand different management now but he is from the east coast and has stated he is happy being back closer to family and friends. I think the next place he signs he wants a confirmation that he is going in as the starter with a younger back up. His turn to lead and teach. Another year sharing with Brodeur is a possibility to I guess. Never hurts to try and learn everything from a goalie legend. Does Brodeur want another year though sharing or being a back up? Have the devils confirmed they want to resign Brodeur for next year?

Brodeur has pretty much stated he wants to play, but go where he is a starter...

Hard to imagine anything except them throwing Schneids the keys, then the brinks truck???

Ekblad Tanev

Pulliot Cederholm

Stanton Bieksa

Corrado Hutton

Schneider

Ericsson

1.) The Benning hiring may become a reality with Boston being beaten by Montreal.

2.) Hiring a new GM should bring about a coach being hired. Remains to be seen who the new GM wants. May not be any of the guys being mentioned here.

3.) Why would Edler agree to be traded to Florida? Not saying he wouldn't, but every indication to date says he's not interested in being moved. Has there been any kiind of development where he's said he would want to go, anywhere? NTC's get in the way sometimes, don't they?

Further, while Florida may want Edler they are a young enough team that they could grow with Ekblad and be quite successful in a few years time. If they make an offer for Edler then I suspect they'll put forward prospects and younger players which they already have in their system.

4.) Kesler may, or may not be traded. There certainly was a lot of smoke at the end of last season. This being said, I'm not so sure that the Canucks could actually get that kind of a package in return for Kesler. It would be nice, and more power to 'em if they can, but I don't see Pittsburgh giving up that much.

5.) Statny would be nice to get. I suspect he re-signs with Colorado.

6.) It's nice to groom the younger in similar similar styles so they can step in to the NHL with a minimum of hassle. It's not always possible if there is s substantial difference in the types of players. For example, if you have smaller, speedy guys at one level you can't expect the guys at the other level to effectively play that style if they are mostly slower and play a more physical style.

7.) As with Edler, has there been any kind of suggestion from Garrison or Hamhuis that they are unhappy here and would welcome a move? Those pesky NTC's again.

And while it might be nice to get a 2015 1st rounder back in a package, at what level do you anticipate it will be?

As I see it, if they did agree to a trade, then they'll want to go to a playoff team, which likely means that this 1st could be anywhere in the bottom third of the draft, maybe even as low as 30th. If you say that this is still a worthwhile trade for the Canucks, then look at things from the other team's perspective. If they think that even a 30th overall is going to be a good pick, maybe they will hold on to said pick, and much like my thoughts on a potential Edler deal, they'll offer prospects and players already in their system (ie. something of lesser value).

8.) I don't see Schneider coming back here. Even if he loves the city, the fans and the Canucks, I would agree with those who say that he'd prefer to play closer to home. If he did come back here the woo-hoo!

9.) Why do you believe Lack would get this kind of return? I'm not knocking you, I'm just curious. He shows of a lot of promise but he hasn't really done that much has he? I'd also be more inclined to trade Markstrom.

regards,

G.

Archived