The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Burke, Benning and Botterill in running for GM Job

True. But you can understand why most jumped to conclusion at first seeing thread titled "Burke" and naturally assuming it was Brian Burke.

Brian is in a newish position. And the talking heads on TSN and Sportsnet have talked about tim burke. Also if you read the actual post it said Tim burke. Maybe people should pay attention and read....

Jim Benning of Boston: Kessel, Hamill, Colborne, Caron, Seguin, Hamilton, Malcom Subban

vs

Tim Burke of San Jose: Marleau, Douglas Murray, Clowe, Pavelski, Greiss, Torrey Mitchell, Vlasic, McGinn, Braun, Logan Couture

It seems Tim Burke has the upper hand drafting wise

Both were or are scouts (Tim Burke), the only question about Tim Burke is if he can do all the other tasks not just scouting as a GM.

Tim Burke has been in Sanjose twice as long as Benning as been with Boston.

That said..

Tim Burke, advantages I would say he has strong scouting abilities, however as a GM is a different ball game, such as negotiations and so for.

JIm Benning. Jim Benning probably has the exact or close mind set to how the Boston Bruins were built, and he will that knowledge right to Vancouver and probably do his best to replicate and build a strong tough team.

Trust Trevor Linden with the right hire.

I would say Boston. Detroit, LA, San Jose, Pittsburgh and Chicago are "winning organizations". Of those teams, I would say LA doesn't fit the "exciting hockey" profile. I bet Vancouver's GM comes from one of these five organizations.

what planet are you from? LA King hockey is damn exciting

I would be alright with Benning, I like what I've heard.

I don't know much about Botteril - any info?

Tim Burke; not Brian :picard:

Good bloodlines for a position of sporting influence. His dad was one of my U of W uni prof's from back in the day: sport psychologist (of substantial revere) Cal Botteril. Dad and sister Jennifer were elite athletes as well, as was mom. Mom was an Olympic speed skater, dad and sis played hockey for our Canadian national team. Jennifer is one of the great Canadian women's hockey players of all time. Dad has been on the payroll as a sport psychologist for numerous NHL teams, our Olympic program and teams around the world in various sports.

Jason was basically a career AHL player, had a few callups to the bigs and according to Wilkepedia has a business degree, acquired after he finished playing (which is impressive). He also worked for the NHL league office, Dallas stars as a scout and is the AGM for the Penguins. His signature is similar to our current AGM Laurence Gilman. Capologist, salary structure and negotiations. He is well considered, reported as one of the 40 most influential figures in hockey, under the age of 40.

GM: Benning/Brisebois/Chelios/Joe Will

Assistant GM: Tim Burke- emphasis upgrading the scouting and drafting

actually that's a good idea... GM: Benning, Benning goes from Assistant to GM / Assistan GM: Tim Burke, goes from a scout to Assistant GM

actually that's a good idea... GM: Benning, Benning goes from Assistant to GM / Assistan GM: Tim Burke, goes from a scout to Assistant GM

I see two issues. One San Jose would likely not let Burke leave to become an assistant - it really is a lateral move. And two, he's on the Washington Capitals list to interview for their GM spot.

I can't see him handling the media in Vancouver. And they have to blow the budget hiring a dozen more PR guys

Hextall's reputation/approach as a player and reputation/approach as an executive are two very different things. Hextall is very well respected and I can't recall a single run in with the media or anyone else in his many years as an executive.

Hextall's reputation/approach as a player and reputation/approach as an executive are two very different things. Hextall is very well respected and I can't recall a single run in with the media or anyone else in his many years as an executive.

Yep .. all he he has to do is scowl and they avoid asking anything 'stupid' .. sort of like Pat Quinn in his day .. :)

Jim Benning of Boston: Kessel, Hamill, Colborne, Caron, Seguin, Hamilton, Malcom Subban

vs

Tim Burke of San Jose: Marleau, Douglas Murray, Clowe, Pavelski, Greiss, Torrey Mitchell, Vlasic, McGinn, Braun, Logan Couture

It seems Tim Burke has the upper hand drafting wise

Both were or are scouts (Tim Burke), the only question about Tim Burke is if he can do all the other tasks not just scouting as a GM.

Add Hertl

Not a chance in hell Brain Burke rejoins this team as GM. NOT A CHANCE.

EDIT: who is Tim Burke lol?

i would tell you to do your own research but judging by the fact that you won't even make the effort to read a post before responding to its title i'm going to guess that's a lost cause.

I would say Boston. Detroit, LA, San Jose, Pittsburgh and Chicago are "winning organizations". Of those teams, I would say LA doesn't fit the "exciting hockey" profile. I bet Vancouver's GM comes from one of these five organizations.

And Pittsburgh has pretty much failed miserably at getting proper wingers for Malkin and Crosby, it's just the fact that they're so good that they make crap somewhat respectable.

Pittsburgh will hit a brickwall the day Crosby and Malkin begin declining.

I thought Brian Burke...at first and almost threw up.

The guy who took this team from near bankruptcy and the bottom of the standings to over a decade of success ( We are still using the core he put together) makes you sick?

Burke may have his faults, but make no mistake...

Brian Burke saved this franchise.

If GM's had numbers retired, Burke should have his hanging from the rafters in Rodgers.

Had Burke not made the ballsy moves he made most posters on CDC would not be fans today.

The guy who took this team from near bankruptcy and the bottom of the standings to over a decade of success ( We are still using the core he put together) makes you sick?

Burke may have his faults, but make no mistake...

Brian Burke saved this franchise.

If GM's had numbers retired, Burke should have his hanging from the rafters in Rodgers.

Had Burke not made the ballsy moves he made most posters on CDC would not be fans today.

Had Brian Burke not gone all Anti-Canucks on this team & VanCity after Nonis was fired....some may have been feeling differently about him - now. He's definitely in the NHL's wheel-house as a power-broker in the league...but his vindictiveness in business & in life leaves many cold on the notion that he would be getting his ultimate revenge in replacing his adversary...Gillis. Somehow, I don't think Trev...will reflect all that kindly on Burkie's morals or character...on account of his involvement in the Rome suspension of 2011, tampering allegations...& that un-grandfathered CBA clause of his that back-bites teams like VAN with LTC's and NTC's. Burke, as a lawyer, knew it was being unfairly introduced... but he went there for the Chairman...& with the very low-cap year that followed...it caused up-start teams challenging the O-6 for free-agents to cough a lot of 'em up for trade or spit. Burkie is shrewd...but integrity should count for something.

It may have been a consideration of the Aquilinis, who clearly want to switch gears & get into the league's "good" books again...to hire someone akin to Burkie...but Trev's a pretty decent judge of quality character & (Brian) Burke...definitely falls short. Yet, teams who have had Burkie on their pay-roll...even as an advisor...are still managing to catch a lot of breaks with the DPS... now that Burke's son Patrick has been appointed there....soooo, it's the age-old question...if you can't beat 'em...do ya want to join 'em?

I too...had to ask...who is Tim Burke? Fun facts I found out tho'...at one time Tim Burke was the head coach of the the AHL's Utica Devils....and he has also played a season for Jokerit-Helsinki of the Finnish Elite League. I like him better, already! ;)

why would anyone logically assume that it would be a guy that is presently employed in a higher position by a rival?

it would make more sense to assume it was sean burke than brian burke.

That's what I thought too " it must be Brian's kid"

Archived