The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumor] benning wants reinhart

Kassian reminds me a lot like Dustin Penner, often lazy, inconsistent, unmotivated, and takes a ton of unnecessary penalties. The only difference is, Kassian plays more physical and is a lot quicker on his feet. I could see him having the same point productions as Penner, hovering around the 40-50 points mark. People need to stop thinking he'll turn into Bertuzzi or Lucic. When Todd and Milan were at his age, they already had their breakout season. He still young, but I don't see him being "that guy" everyone hopes he will be.

Tanev is one of those defensemen, no one really knows about, aside from Canucks fans. So, I don't see him having much of a trading value. He's reliable in his own zone, but that really where it ends. He could step in into a top 4 role if someone is injured, but realistically he's a 5th or 6th defensemen. There's really nothing special about him, think Murray Baron or Scott Lachance, when they played, the unsung hero, who everyone loves. Stanton could easily replace him.

bertuzzi's breakout season was 1999-00. he turned 25 during that season (feb. 2000).

kassian doesn't turn 25 until january 2016.

and your description of tanev is about 2 years out of date. i would have agreed with you then that he's no more than a kevin klein. but i would have been wrong, like you are now.

tanev has shown already that he's a top pairing shutdown defenceman, and he's still underweight. when he finishes bulking up (he's got broad shoulders and a wide frame so i see him getting pretty close to 200 lbs if he wants to) he'll be even more solid. he also demonstrated last year that his offense is coming. he passes as well or better than any defenceman on the team, especially in the offensive zone, and he has far and away the best hockey sense among them, hamhuis included. he has a knack for moving laterally and getting his wrist shot through. his slapper is a muffin and i don't know how much that'll improve but i'm totally fine with that. he's also deceptively agile and fast and almost never gets beaten. his ability to recover when caught out of position is unparalleled on this team. he is, in short, the canucks best defenceman, and he's gotten better every year, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue that trend.

tanev should be untouchable.

Kassian reminds me a lot like Dustin Penner, often lazy, inconsistent, unmotivated, and takes a ton of unnecessary penalties. The only difference is, Kassian plays more physical and is a lot quicker on his feet. I could see him having the same point productions as Penner, hovering around the 40-50 points mark. People need to stop thinking he'll turn into Bertuzzi or Lucic. When Todd and Milan were at his age, they already had their breakout season. He still young, but I don't see him being "that guy" everyone hopes he will be.

Tanev is one of those defensemen, no one really knows about, aside from Canucks fans. So, I don't see him having much of a trading value. He's reliable in his own zone, but that really where it ends. He could step in into a top 4 role if someone is injured, but realistically he's a 5th or 6th defensemen. There's really nothing special about him, think Murray Baron or Scott Lachance, when they played, the unsung hero, who everyone loves. Stanton could easily replace him.

no one really knows about a top 4 Dman? Stanton plays LD so idk how he would replace a top 4 when he struggled when he returned from his injury

bertuzzi's breakout season was 1999-00. he turned 25 during that season (feb. 2000).

and your description of tanev is about 2 years out of date. i would have agreed with you then that he's no more than a kevin klein. but i would have been wrong, like you are now.

tanev has shown already that he's a top pairing shutdown defenceman, and he's still underweight. when he finishes bulking up (he's got broad shoulders and a wide frame so i see him getting pretty close to 200 lbs if he wants to) he'll be even more solid. he also demonstrated last year that his offense is coming. he passes as well or better than any defenceman on the team, especially in the offensive zone, and he has far and away the best hockey sense among them, hamhuis included. he has a knack for moving laterally and getting his wrist shot through. his slapper is a muffin and i don't know how much that'll improve but i'm totally fine with that. he's also deceptively agile and fast and almost never gets beaten. his ability to recover when caught out of position is unparalleled on this team. he is, in short, the canucks best defenceman, and he's gotten better every year, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue that trend.

While I do not think there is anyone that is untouchable on any hockey team Tanev is an interesting

player. I thought he might have peaked last year and yet he continued to improve this past season. How

could Van consider moving him not knowing where he could peak out. His development history is one of

overachieving, overcoming his size and showing a real desire to make the NHL. He does have to put on more weight. No doubt in my mind that opposing teams were playing a real physical game against him. A

little meanness to his game would help as well.

Stanton: Another d-man who we have no real idea of how far he can go. Moves the puck well and I would argue finds the net with his shot better than Tanev does. Like Tanev I wish he had more size. As much as Torts probably did not want to play him as much as he did he was forced to increase his TOI because of his play.

In years to come the Gillis legacy on the current roster will be Kassian, Tanev and

Stanton.

Virtanen is more likely. To get Sam you need to be in the top 3. Frankly, I liked him over Ekblad or Bennett. But each team has their own needs.

I wouldn't want to see Garrison go. He has a beast of a shot. Last season was terrible for everybody. But if they want to play Corrado somebody needs to go. Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis seem to be out of contention. Tanev and Stanton are good. But they are also cheap due to a lack of proven offense. Garrison would be the best strategic move.

However, if we did trade with FLA, we would draft Ekblad. So we are looking at a deal with Buffalo or Edmonton.

Buffalo needs solid vets. Edmonton needs vet D.

Garrison, Hansen & 6th for 3rd & Gagner

Fair trade, but don't want Gagner. He doesn't fit the team needs. If Kes is going, like we think he is, then we are not much better off than Edmonton at this point. And Gagner isn't a 3rd line center. He fits better on Anaheim behind Ryan Getzlaf.

You make good points about Tanev, but one thing, even his own father said in an interview. He doesn't hit. The meanness won't come. I kind of see him as Willie Mitchell lite. When Tanev hits his prime, I anticipate his points won't get higher than 30ish with a somewhat knack for making a big play (2009 Mitchell flip pass to Burr, vs St Louis in game 4.) That's still pretty good, but his lack of physicality will hold him back. That's why most people would easily keep Hamhuis over Tanev. Tanev's hockey sense and smart plays are always there, but at least Hammer can make the smart physical play the odd time, where as Tanev makes no physical play.

Tanev would probably be the perfect guy to package and move up in the draft. Send him with our pick to Edmonton if we have traded Kesler and have a highly ranked D prospect coming back (Vatanen, Lindholm, Maata, Pouliot) and then draft Bennett or Reinhart. Whichever drops to 3. Or send him to Florida for #1 possibly with someone else and our pick if we need to and draft Ekblad.

I mean, honestly, do you really believe Tanev is going to be better than any of the 5 young D named above. Not bloody likely!!!

You make good points about Tanev, but one thing, even his own father said in an interview. He doesn't hit. The meanness won't come. I kind of see him as Willie Mitchell lite. When Tanev hits his prime, I anticipate his points won't get higher than 30ish with a somewhat knack for making a big play (2009 Mitchell flip pass to Burr, vs St Louis in game 4.) That's still pretty good, but his lack of physicality will hold him back. That's why most people would easily keep Hamhuis over Tanev. Tanev's hockey sense and smart plays are always there, but at least Hammer can make the smart physical play the odd time, where as Tanev makes no physical play.

Tanev would probably be the perfect guy to package and move up in the draft. Send him with our pick to Edmonton if we have traded Kesler and have a highly ranked D prospect coming back (Vatanen, Lindholm, Maata, Pouliot) and then draft Bennett or Reinhart. Whichever drops to 3. Or send him to Florida for #1 possibly with someone else and our pick if we need to and draft Ekblad.

I mean, honestly, do you really believe Tanev is going to be better than any of the 5 young D named above. Not bloody likely!!!

i do believe he'll be better than some of those.

neither duncan keith nor nicklas lidstrom are/were physical in the slightest and it didn't hold them back. you don't need to be physical when you're as smart with your stick work and positioning as tanev, and in fact, abstaining from that part of the game will likely help his durability.

neither duncan keith nor nicklas lidstrom are/were physical in the slightest and it didn't hold them back. you don't need to be physical when you're as smart with your stick work and positioning as tanev, and in fact, abstaining from that part of the game will likely help his durability.

Daniel Sedin says hello

Duncan Keith can be a mean and physical player when he desires. Its just that he is so good he rarely needs to.

Tanev is on par with with Keith in terms of hockey sense but he has no mean streak in him. His mindset is perfect for a PMD and he will be a very good player for the Canucks with a very high ceiling. The best thing would be to pair Tanev with a d partner who is a big nasty, clear the front of the net type d-man who can do all the heavy lifting. If Benning can find that d-man to pair with Tanev then I could see a very good career in the NHL for Tanev

If we're trading Kesler, then we'll need Reinhart more than we'll need Ekblad.

That's for sure. It also depends on what we get in return for Kesler. We may get a young centerman in the exchange. So many options. If Benning is gunning for SR and gets him it might alter the Kesler trade, or vice versa.

If we can acquire the 10th and the 24th in a deal with Anaheim for Kesler, it makes a move for Reinhart much more likely.

Then we can trade the 6th and the 24th plus a guy like Jensen, and still have the 10th overall and Reinhart to show or it.

Archived