The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumor] benning wants reinhart

So...so racist...but so right hahaha

Lol. It's sad to see that so many people in the world today can't identify what racism is and what it's not. Reminds of the cattle grazer from the states.

Did he say anything derogatory about a race? No

Did he stereotype? maybe a little but he qualified it with a"most." Still that is not racism.

Finally, "immigrants" is not a race.

Definitely,

As I've said in past posts any deal for the #1 is predicated on Trev/Benning and our scouting staff really believing Reinhart is a potential #1 center and worth the risk.

I'm no expert on evaluating junior prospects, all I can do is read the scouting reports which are full of hyperbole and outlandish comparisons made for the sake of illustration.

So, my position is that if our scouts feel Reinhart is worth the gamble, bite the bullet and go get him. If they aren't willing to stake their reputations on it, then pass.

Problem is our scouts are no experts either and their reputations can't get much worse

I doubt it bc the sixth is actually highly valuable to anyone trading down. You don't trade down far enough to lose the guy you want and you get other value.

I do not however see a need to move up and lose 6 and any existing youth, ie Tanev, Jensen, Kassian, Shink, Horvat, Corrado etc, its simply trading 2 young talented players for one and when some of those guys are proving they can play.

Tanev is a top 4 clearly, Kassian has shown he can become a top 6 if keeps improving, and Jensen has shown albeit briefly he can play and score at the NHL level, Corrado will play at the NHL level likely 3/4) plus a draft pick is silly, esp this year is a crap shoot.

Now if its Tanev and 6th for first and we draft Ekblad AND we make a deal where we have Anaheim's 10th/24th and another young player for Kesler, it may make sense as you are arguably upgrading Tanev to Ekblad who will bring more.

Just don't like the idea of swapping youth (that's proving itself) for youth that hasn't, on a team lacking a pipeline of youth, totally counter intuitive!

That being said there are alot of moving parts and my guess is they will want to move Kesler before the draft so they have a good view of the position they are in to trade up etc prior (as Kesler won't be waiving to go to any team picking before us).

Agreed

If we trade up needs to be with vets...

3 moves I'd like to see:

Kesler+ to Detroit for Mantha

Tanev+6th+ for 1st, draft Reinhart

Recall Corrado

New young core with size and skill:

Mantha Horvat Reinhart

Shinkurak Gaunce Kassian/Jensen

I like Tanev and Kesler, but that's what we have to trade that's worth anything. Schroeder, Hansen or Higgins could be expendable, or not really fitting with the core long term.

Not to turn this into a bash Gillis thread, however I do wonder sometimes what things would be like if we held onto Luongo and Florida wanted him now......

Dale Tallon would be ready to present Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller a fatty contract to play in Florida and we would be S.O.L?

It was them and McDavid for the most part. They had some bright spots but didn't do much at all other times. They certainly weren't so amazing I'd think we'd want to draft Reinhart to pair them together.

I think simply the fact that Reinhart was the forward from this draft year to make team Canada speaks to how much better he is than the other prospects. Team Canada seems to love this guy, he was even invited to the World Champ Men's tourny this year.

Not to turn this into a bash Gillis thread, however I do wonder sometimes what things would be like if we held onto Luongo and Florida wanted him now......

Yup was thinking the same, if we still had Luongo a Luongo and the 6th to Florida for the 1st could have got it done.

I see the next few weeks being a simple domino effect. There are many forward centers in play, i.e., Kesler, Spezza, Kadri and Thorton. I expect once the Canucks decide on the Kesler front, pieces will start to move. Ideally, I would love to see Kesler traded to Detriot for Mantha, their 1st round pick (18th?) and if lucky a roster player. Once that deal is complete, the Canucks can make a push to Florida for the 1st overall pick. If rumours are accurate, the details are that Tallon wants a defense men, a swapped first round pick, and probably another roster player for they can improve now. I wager the Canucks have the stock for this deal, they have some defense men that could be traded: Juice, Garrison or Tanev; the 6th overall pick (which is more valuable then many give it, because Tallon is rumoured to be highly soughting Ehler, or Nylander), which is a perfect position to choose whatever one. Then there are choices for the roster spot: the asset that the Canucks recieved from Detriot, Hansen, etc.

The Canucks then could draft Reinhart.

The top six in a couple years:

Mantha Reinhart Jensen

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

That is a nice mix of snipers, powerforwards, playmakers and two-way forwards. #StanleyCup

I see the next few weeks being a simple domino effect. There are many forward centers in play, i.e., Kesler, Spezza, Kadri and Thorton. I expect once the Canucks decide on the Kesler front, pieces will start to move. Ideally, I would love to see Kesler traded to Detriot for Mantha, their 1st round pick (18th?) and if lucky a roster player. Once that deal is complete, the Canucks can make a push to Florida for the 1st overall pick. If rumours are accurate, the details are that Tallon wants a defense men, a swapped first round pick, and probably another roster player for they can improve now. I wager the Canucks have the stock for this deal, they have some defense men that could be traded: Juice, Garrison or Tanev; the 6th overall pick (which is more valuable then many give it, because Tallon is rumoured to be highly soughting Ehler, or Nylander), which is a perfect position to choose whatever one. Then there are choices for the roster spot: the asset that the Canucks recieved from Detriot, Hansen, etc.

Mantha Reinhart Jensen

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

That is a nice mix of snipers, powerforwards, playmakers and two-way forwards. #StanleyCup

That lineup could be on par with what Colorado achieved this year, in a few seasons. Try each of those kids out with the Sedins, see if anyone has chemistry, and if so we'll breathe new life into their game as well. I also love how they're all Canadian (save for Jensen). Big things on the horizon here, regardless of what we do.

Mantha Reinhart Jensen

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Love it.

Why can't we just trade with NYI for the 5th? I'm sure we have some things of value to offer without losing much, and we get a top 5 pick.

Dal Colle and Ehlers in one draft would look amazing you know.

Because the 4th pick would probably cost about the same as the 5th.

If the Canucks are hell bent on getting one of the Sams or Ekblad then it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and pick up Calgary's pick at 4. If Benning is willing to trade one of the B+ AHL players along with the 6th pick then they would have a shot at picking up the 4th I would think. If they give up an A- AHL'er and the sixth pick then there is a chance that Benning could pick up Edmonton's pick, which would mean picking up Ekblad or one of the Sams.

Archived