[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours, Off Season Edition

Matt Larkin of The Hockey News:

Top five unrestricted free agents who will get more money than they should:

1. Paul Stastny

2. Thomas Vanek

3. Ryan Miller

4. Matt Niskanen

5. Ryan Callahan

Thanks for shareing this i really wonder what vaneks value is now after his joke playoffs performance. I wouldnt want him on the canucks unless for under $3.5 million and he easily will probably get double from minny or phoenix. A stupid team will overpay miller: islanders probably. Callahan and stastny are pretty good and i think will look like stastny will be over payed but i think he will really shine and become elite. Callahan not so sure i was not impressed in tampa. Hes good but i agree will be over payed. Niskanen i dont know hes pretty good and if are d was not so set id like to get. Could see florida targeting him or buffalo overpaying for him

Thanks for shareing this i really wonder what vaneks value is now after his joke playoffs performance. I wouldnt want him on the canucks unless for under $3.5 million and he easily will probably get double from minny or phoenix. A stupid team will overpay miller: islanders probably. Callahan and stastny are pretty good and i think will look like stastny will be over payed but i think he will really shine and become elite. Callahan not so sure i was not impressed in tampa. Hes good but i agree will be over payed. Niskanen i dont know hes pretty good and if are d was not so set id like to get. Could see florida targeting him or buffalo overpaying for him

What kind of CAP space can Minny have? I suppose Heater and Ballard could be gone.

What kind of CAP space can Minny have? I suppose Heater and Ballard could be gone.

They have about $23 million of space. Heatley definitely opens up a lot of space.

I just hope once Kesler is gone, Canuck fans don't trash on him to feel good about the trade. He has done a lot for the team and is good around the community. I hope he wins the cup he's looking for.

Matt Larkin of The Hockey News:

Top five unrestricted free agents who will get more money than they should:

1. Paul Stastny

2. Thomas Vanek

3. Ryan Miller

4. Matt Niskanen

5. Ryan Callahan

I totally agree. These guys are going to get long term and big cap hit deals, there are few top free agents and lots of suitors with cap space.

We shouldn't get in this frenzy.

Instead target the 2nd tier of guys and try to corral them while everyone else is focused on those top 5.

My targets:

1. Milan Michalek - Solid top 6 guy

2. Hiller - someone to split starts with Lack for a year or two

3. Tallinder - more of a depth guy at this point in his career, but if we end up moving Tanev or Edler he is a great and cheap option for the 3rd pairing to make up for mistakes of a young guy like Corrado.

Sounds great but I think if we are trading Kess we would want to know what we get back first and then go after whomever,but at the same time I want a top 6 player to play with the twins!!!I also want to see Gaunce and Fox to get 9 games!

Higgins brought in to play on the 4th line??

LOL. You in the war room with Gillis when you hear that?

Someone with a career .48 PPG average and making 2.5 million doesn't play on the 4th line.

Regardless of what team.

On a contender he is best suited as a 3rd liner. Problem is last year he spent most of the time on our 1st and 2nd line.

Someone with a career .48 PPG average and making 2.5 million doesn't play on the 4th line.

Regardless of what team.

On a contender he is best suited as a 3rd liner. Problem is last year he spent most of the time on our 1st and 2nd line.

how much time exactly did higgins spend on the 1st line? you lost all your credibility in that one sentence pal.

how much time exactly did higgins spend on the 1st line? you lost all your credibility in that one sentence pal.

Numerous games unfortunately this past season.

Regardless....the point is he is not a 4th liner.

I said 1st and 2nd line in a BAD way. He should not be in a top 6 on a contender.

Not sure what you are getting at?

Numerous games unfortunately this past season.

Regardless....the point is he is not a 4th liner.

I said 1st and 2nd line in a BAD way. He should not be in a top 6 on a contender.

Not sure what you are getting at?

I missed the "last year" in the phrase that I was speaking of. I thought you were claiming he spent most of his career with the canucks as a top 6. which would be incorrect. middle six maybe but the majority of his tenure here has been on the 3rd line.

I missed the "last year" in the phrase that I was speaking of. I thought you were claiming he spent most of his career with the canucks as a top 6. which would be incorrect. middle six maybe but the majority of his tenure here has been on the 3rd line.

Agreed. Where he belongs.

This past season was a different case though.

Not a big Milan michalek fan, never been fully sold on him for numerous reasons.

I wouldn't be too stoked on him skating with the sedins either tbh.

I'd like for the sedins to:

a ) get them an elite winger

Or

b ) get them a big bodied right handed shot that can finish plays (always thought Joel ward would have been interesting with them in playoffs)

Milan michalek doesn't fit the bill for me, he has only had a Cple decent years and he's had quite a few injuries over his career, and last yr he's Healthy and useless in the east.

I think at this pt in his career the west will eat him alive if not in the reg season come playoffs, he has size and speed I just don't think he is the total package, just as booth had size and speed just doesn't cut it for me. Especially with a thin free agent pool he will be over paid.

Hey provost what was ur Kesler deal nt sure I I missed it, see we get Gustav but didn't see what you proposed.

Interesting take and I agree we need a team with 4 rollable lines without a doubt.

I just feel bad for the sedins we have had them for so long and never developed a prospect for them or traded or picked up an elite talent for them to play with it's a shame.

Carter, Pyatt, burrows were projects

Naslund was great but was old when playing with them, and we already had him

Hansen Higgins mayray etc were just plug an plays

Woulda been nice to get them a player when they are still playing at a high level.

According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, St. James has been running a series of potential targets for the Red Wings. If the Wings were to go after Coyotes Keith Yandle, they would be looking for at least one of Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, Anthony Mantha and a high draft pick. The Coyotes could also ask for another player, such as Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm or Jakub Kindl.

According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer, Hurricanes GM Ron Francis has lot of decisions to go over and make this offseason.

“I don’t foresee a major makeover,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty good pieces in place. I know it’s frustrating we haven’t made the playoffs in five years. We finished just outside (the playoffs) by 10 points, which is one win a month (more) over the course of (the past) season.

“We may do some things but we feel we have a pretty good group here that can compete and win, so there’s no real need at this point to make a major overhaul, in my eyes.”

It’s unlikely the Hurricanes will use their compliance buyout.

“Historically we haven’t done that,” Francis said of a buyout. “We’ll discuss everything with our payroll and where our negotiations are and what we can and can’t do. But we don’t plan to do that at this point, no.”

The Hurricanes could look to trade Cam Ward. They could move up or down from their No. 7 draft slot if the offer is right.

Yes, both he and Lapierre were 4th liners for us originally, I didn't have to be in the war room... that was where they were on the actual ice, and during actual games.

I find it amusing that you scoffed without spending 10 seconds to google it if you didn't remember way back then. I will have to remember that lack of credibility when reading any other posts you happen to write.

http://www.straight.com/blogra/vancouver-canucks-pick-chris-higgins-maxim-lapierre-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/canucks-land-higgins-lapierre-in-separate-deals-1.993864

http://canuckshockeyblog.com/2011/02/trade-deadline-thoughts-canucks-acquire-maxim-lapierre-and-christopher-higgins/

Hey provost what was ur Kesler deal nt sure I I missed it, see we get Gustav but didn't see what you proposed.

I hadn't put in an actual deal since folks spend all their time focussing on the minor details of actual trades. I believe that we could easily get Nyqvuist plus a 1st round pick for Kesler (with miscellaneous spare parts going in either direction).

Another alternative is trading Edler to Detroit for Nyqvuist, but what other pieces that would have to go in either direction is really completely a mystery. I think that top 4 D are worth a lot more than their equivalent forward, so it would be pretty close with just those players. Some folks think Edler will always be terrible and Nyqvuist will be a super star, so would think we would have to add a ton.

Regardless of what team.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Mayray-Kesler-Samuelsson

Torres-Malhottra-Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Glass (If I remember right)

Were the lines after the trade so he was brought in to play on the 4th

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Mayray-Kesler-Samuelsson

Torres-Malhottra-Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Glass (If I remember right)

Were the lines after the trade so he was brought in to play on the 4th

that was a pretty good line up actually. until Samuelsson couldn't perform. Malhotra was injured (never the same again, according to Gillis, at least), and Raymond was inconsistent. Hansen has better hands now, but I remember back in the day when people kept on saying that he had hands of stone. LOL.

Yes, both he and Lapierre were 4th liners for us originally, I didn't have to be in the war room... that was where they were on the actual ice, and during actual games.

I find it amusing that you scoffed without spending 10 seconds to google it if you didn't remember way back then. I will have to remember that lack of credibility when reading any other posts you happen to write.

http://www.straight.com/blogra/vancouver-canucks-pick-chris-higgins-maxim-lapierre-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/canucks-land-higgins-lapierre-in-separate-deals-1.993864

http://canuckshockeyblog.com/2011/02/trade-deadline-thoughts-canucks-acquire-maxim-lapierre-and-christopher-higgins/

Yeah that was on the 2011 run...when we were stacked up front and everyone was having a career year.

SINCE then he hasn't touched the 4th line and as I mentioned before there were instances where he even played on the 1st line this past season.

Just because he spent a handful of games playing where he did doesn't mean he was brought in to do that.

Have a looked at his career stats...multiple 20+ goal 35-45 point seasons.

While you are at it look at this TOI during the 2011 cup run. He AVERAGED about 16.5 min PER GAME.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470274&view=log&season=20102011

Last time I checked 4th liners don't play those kind of minutes....especially under AV back in those days.

That's like saying Mike Richards is a 4th liner just because he played there during a cup run on a stacked team.

Yeah that was on the 2011 run...when we were stacked up front and everyone was having a career year.

SINCE then he hasn't touched the 4th line and as I mentioned before there were instances where he even played on the 1st line this past season.

Just because he spent a handful of games playing where he did doesn't mean he was brought in to do that.

I know it sucks to be shown that you are wrong, but trying to weasel out of it makes you look worse.

I said he was brought in to play on the 4th line and showed several articles that backed up my statement.

Your comments about him not staying on the 4th line further my point and not yours. You have guys of that level on your 4th lines JUST so that you DO have the capability to move them up when needed due to injury. That happened with Higgins and that is why we went farther in the playoffs. If our 4th line was a bunch of plugs that can't play bigger roles when needed, we don't go on a long playoff run,

Have you noticed how much worse our playoff success has been since we didn't have that depth? That is what we need to fix.

Archived