The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

"Was just told Desjardins spurned #Pens b/c offer was for 2 years only, no authority to hire own assts. Now expected to be hired by #Canucks"

Well done, old-timer. Stay by your phone -- JimmyB's gonna be calling, ready to relieve you of some nice assets...

As a man in his 50s, I vehemently object to the use of the term "old-timer"....

...I prefer "geezer" or "pops"... ;)

Archie for goaltender coach?

Between him, Lack and JM, could there possibly be a more off the wall trio?

Add Bryz to the mix.

Wow.

The press would never have to interview anyone else. Just have Lack, Irbe, Bryz and JM in the media room. Everybody else gets a pass. Even Tony the Raisin would be forced to chuckle at something. He wouldn't heff to be mad.

Yes!! Beat out the Pens! :towel::towel:

Looks like PIT won't be trading with VAN any time soon.

~evil laughter~

First Benning, now Desjardins.

Rutherford: "I thought we had a deal, then he decides to go the other way." :bigblush:

Look at it this way, Jimmy, if Benning signed with PIT, you'd be out of a job opportunity.

Looks like PIT won't be trading with VAN any time soon.

~evil laughter~

First Benning, now Desjardins.

Rutherford: "I thought we had a deal, then he decides to go the other way." :bigblush:

Look at it this way, Jimmy, if Benning signed with PIT, you'd be out of a job opportunity.

As if Rutherford wasn't a much better, proven GM.

Thinking Pittsburgh will be doing just fine. The 'omg Willie' talk is just to stir up some ticket sales. Same with 'omg Linden' and 'omg Benning' talk. But it's something i guess.

Lidster!!!

I can still hear good old Howie Meeker on BCTV televised Games and his teleprompter pen and breaking down Lidsters missed assignments after being scored on lol

Golly GEE WHIZ!..STOP IT THERE BOB, now roll it back, aahh STOP IT!!

"Now kids ya can see Lidster should be playin it safe 'til the cows come home, but then Perrault goes 'round him, lika'hhoopa'rounda'barrell,& Caprice is down, lookin'fer'nickels! Ahh, GEE WHIZ!"

How would the youngins' revolt today, if they were tied to a chair, (with social media unavailable), & forced to watch the ol'BCTV productions, looking for hope as the Oilers would THRASH us 14-2??

We actually gave a parade after being SWEPT in a series!

All ol'timers who endured the first 2 decades of this team SHOULD be awarded a medal of honour, or at LEAST a participation ribbon! How many of us carried this traumatic burden fwd, living through a miserable onward-struggle?...

I think this past Cup final was as good an example of this as I've seen in a long time. Both the Kings and the Rangers got excellent contributions from their 4th lines.

Hopefully, JB and TL were taking notes.

I'm not sure JB needed to take any notes - the Bs have been a four line team for some time - but it is a relief to hear that there will be significant focus on improving the fourth line. A lot of folks here have tended to poopoo any suggestion of acquiring 'mere' depth players (focusing almost exclusively on the need for a shiny scoring winger - something much more difficult and costly to acquire) but really, the fourth line is an area the team has needed improvement since Malhotra's injury (and imo one of Gillis' mistakes/oversighgt) , going without a fourth line that is hard to play against, without that extra center who could win a lot of faceoffs, play some shutdown and take pressure off Hank and Kesler. It's an area where there are some really good options available in free agency (perhaps the best pool of UFAs is at that depth C position) - I'm really looking forward to what JB manages to come up with, particularly with the young centers also emerging.

No public statements by either Gillis or Torts since they left. Have not heard that they interviewed for

any other jobs. Ownership had to sign off on the Tort's contract and on Gillis's extension. I do not see

a nefarious plan by the Acquillinis to tank the team.

I can believe that every roster has a compete time line and Gillis had his shot in 2011. As a GM I

liked his drafting (other than Schroeder) when Van got to pick higher in the draft. I have wondered how

much of Gillis's judgement was impacted by his prior career as a player and agent. Gillis was a top pick but his NHL playing career was cut short by injury. As a rule I don't trust lawyers as most play the

political angles more than sticking to the facts.

I totally agree on the young players front. The Canucks are long overdue to have some real impact young players.

This is why Sam Reinhart makes so much sense in the draft this year if they can move up to get him. Not only will be the Canucks #1 center of the future but he will help the Sedins right now and the current core by stepping in right away as the #2 center.

This is assuming Kesler gets traded and a first round pick and top prospect are coming back to the Canucks in the deal though to supplant what it would take to trade up to get the #1 pick.

Maybe 6th overall, Tanev, and Guance for 1st overall to Florida add in another pick or b prospect maybe to sweeten the pot?

Archived