The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1st overall pick or 6th & 10th pick?

Ichiban604

The rumours is out there for us to trade Kesler to the Ducks for a package including their 10th overall pick, then for us to use both the 6 and 10th pick to the Panthers for their 1st overall. I rather keep both of the picks to select 2 fine young prospects rather then 1 prospect. Because we all know this year's draft is a little weaker then the past few draft where at one there isn't a hyped player like Nathan MacKinnon or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. What do you guys think?

Sam Reinhart will be better than RNH. Trust me. Also, I thought the plan was to use one of those picks along with a package to get the first overall or whatever. I think Benning is trying to walk out with 2 top 10 picks, whether it be 1 & 6, 6 & 10, 1 & 10, etc.

But to answer your question, I would say probably 6 and 10 depending on whose available of course but yeah, I agree with you

The fact Draisital is getting strong looks ar #2 with Buffalo.. speaks volume of how this top 4 can really be a building block for the teams. Bennett being rated as #1 for a while, Ekblad - the top player in the CHL, Reinhart the high IQ & ice vision player who's compared to many previous top picks... any of those 4 could be an number one overall pick. But you can not count out Dal Colle, Ritchie, Virtanen making impact in 2 years, while guys like Ehlersand Nylander could be high risk high reward guys... this top 10 will be interesting to watch

.... Sam Reinhart is better then Nugent Hopkins at the same age. Virtually every WHL fan whois seen them both play have said the same. this draft is shaping up to be very underrated.

I agree. The kid will be a franchise centre in this league.

Here's what I'd love to do:

Kesler and 36th to Anaheim for 10th, Theodore and Etem (if it doesn't work for the Ducks take out Theodore and throw in their 1st)

Then, trade Tanev and the 6th for the 1st

Draft Reinhart at 1 and Fleury at 10.

Fleury replaces Tanev as they're both great defensively. Only difference is that Fleury has more upside and he's bigger

Reinhart replaces Kesler in the future, but he's a lot better.

Here's what we should really do

trade Kesler to Pittsburgh for Pouliot 2014 1st round pick, 2015 1st round pick.

done. we use PIttsburgh 1st rounder to pick up Roland Mckeown

we use Pittsburghs 1st round pick in 2015 to draft Connor.

done.

Let's be realistic now. It depends on who is the 6th pick. If it's Drasaitl or dal cole then there absolutly no way I will chose the 1st pick. The top 4 forwards , are actually interchangeable. Oilers actually have Leon ahead of Reinhart. 10th pick is FLeury or Perlini, so the answer is quite obvious.

Hard to say. If we managed to get the Duck's 10th (and maybe 24th) I would love us trading up to to 1st.

That would be a great draft. With the lost roster assets in those trades (Kesler and Tanev+) we would do poorly in the 2014-15 year and get another high pick. I think the rebuild would be done at that point and we could start pushing for playoff spots again.

Edit: that sounded a little cryptic:

Trade Kes for10th + (perhaps including the 24th)

Trade Tanev and the 6th +(Hansen, other D man?) for the 1st

Do poorly in 2015 and receive another high draft pick.

Rebuild done. Don't trade 1st rounders for veterans, but make a push for the playoffs in 2016, and a deep run in 2017.

The rumours is out there for us to trade Kesler to the Ducks for a package including their 10th overall pick, then for us to use both the 6 and 10th pick to the Panthers for their 1st overall.

Florida doesn't want more picks, there's no such rumour. They are offering the #1 for either established players or to move down a bit.

Why mess around, lets trade for Reinhart!

He's a local franchise center, and many agree that Henrik is perfect to mentor the kid.

We can basically bank on Reinhart, where as Nylander or Ehlers are more risky.

Edit: If it's true that it's going to take Tanev and the 6th, pull the trigger!

Archived