The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

I like the pick and how the draft went. Personally I am happy that Florida didnt take the deal we offered for 1sr overall. In my opinion the trio of Virtanen, Mcann and Shinkaruk will be far more valuable to us then Reinhart,. sam is a good player but he isnt a Crosbys or Stamkos, I dont think he is even a McKinnon. He will be a first line player for sure but I think Skinkaruk has that same potential to be a top line winger and so does Virtaanen, those guys will be top 6 canucks at least.

Shinkaruk - Mcann - Virtanen

That an entire future top 6 line right there. so what do you think is more important, an entire line of skilled young players that give us tons of depth or one really good forward. Just compare Pittsburgh and LA and I think its obvious that having depth and lots of skilled young guys is better than one or two stars.

Still happy to see the BC kid in Blue'n'Green. I cant wait to see the training camp and pre-season and find out what team we will be like. Im betting right now that Horvat and Shinkaruk make the team and that trading Shink would have been a mistake.

I like the pick and how the draft went. Personally I am happy that Florida didnt take the deal we offered for 1sr overall. In my opinion the trio of Virtanen, Mcann and Shinkaruk will be far more valuable to us then Reinhart,. sam is a good player but he isnt a Crosbys or Stamkos, I dont think he is even a McKinnon. He will be a first line player for sure but I think Skinkaruk has that same potential to be a top line winger and so does Virtaanen, those guys will be top 6 canucks at least.

Shinkaruk - Mcann - Virtanen

That an entire future top 6 line right there. so what do you think is more important, an entire line of skilled young players that give us tons of depth or one really good forward. Just compare Pittsburgh and LA and I think its obvious that having depth and lots of skilled young guys is better than one or two stars.

Still happy to see the BC kid in Blue'n'Green. I cant wait to see the training camp and pre-season and find out what team we will be like. Im betting right now that Horvat and Shinkaruk make the team and that trading Shink would have been a mistake.

I think McCann has 3C written all over him, sort of a Bergeron lite. Horvat probably peaks at 2C or 3C. We don't have that #1 centre in our system, yet. Shink and Virt look good on the wings. Jensen as well.

We will see.

I really like this kid, watching his interviews and stuff and he just seems like the type of person anyone can get along with and I think it's great to pick someone who really wants to play for your team, I feel like they would work much harder and want to impress. I'm so excited for the next couple years.

I think McCann has 3C written all over him, sort of a Bergeron lite. Horvat probably peaks at 2C or 3C. We don't have that #1 centre in our system, yet. Shink and Virt look good on the wings. Jensen as well.

We will see.

Didn't Kesler have a projected ceiling of 3rd line centre? And the Sedin's weren't good enough skaters to be first line players?

I hope more and more people start to realize how good he's going to be. Looks like a scoring stud and is super excited to be here.

Winning.

Since he was your preferred guy all along.

I'm wondering what you think he could become as far as caliber of player, and what numbers you think he could put up in his prime/peak?

Since he was your preferred guy all along.

I'm wondering what you think he could become as far as caliber of player, and what numbers you think he could put up in his prime/peak?

I think a James Neal type of player is very comparable to what Virtanen is likely to become. A high end goalscorer although i think he has a higher physical edge than Neal. Very comparable to CDC's love Evander Kane.

A career high of a 40-40-80 season and many 30-30-60 seasons are not out of the question for Virtanen.

Awesome a Canuck player not afriad to go to the net, shoot the puck, a nice change from the hang on to the puck formula that has not worked so well during playoff time.

Exactly what this team needs, the club has needed this type of player for a few years now, sure they have the odd player who tries to get to the net, so tired of hearing "misses the net", "shoots wide", "could not get the puck to the net", "another shot blocked", "passed the puck from a prime shooting position", "trying to be to pretty", "looking for the perfect play", "lost the puck on the boards", "another weak play".

I am also glad the canucks did not take another player who plays outside of the dirty areas, I could care less where he is from as long as he wants to win, by that I mean when it matters, the playoffs.

I believe this kid well play to win, has that something that has been missing from the Canucks since 2011, a desire to play hard, score goals, plow through players to get to the net, make it tough to play against the Canucks.

For every person who thinks he is a bust - I say to you your upset about the Canuck brass thinking differently than you, get over it.

For every person who say JB made a mistake - post it once a mistake has been proven, sorry but that well take time, you;ll have to wait a few years to find out if your right.

For those who are attacking what others are posting - you'll get over it as soon as you have your nap.

I have enjoyed some of those well thought out posts that have attempted to see the pros and cons of the first pick for the Linden/Benning era, so thank you to those posters.

For every one else this pick indicates a 5/6/7 year rebuild has begun, makes your peace with this core group as it is on the way out.

I think a James Neal type of player is very comparable to what Virtanen is likely to become. A high end goalscorer although i think he has a higher physical edge than Neal. Very comparable to CDC's love Evander Kane.

A career high of a 40-40-80 season and many 30-30-60 seasons are not out of the question for Virtanen.

I like the Evander Kane comparison.

He already weighs more than Kane, but it's possible he could drop some weight when he reaches the next level.

Both powerforwards who play with speed, drive the net, play with an edge, and use their great shots to score.

Speaking of which: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/with-evander-kane-rumours-swirling-jets-listening-to-trade-offers-at-nhl-draft/article19349136/

Sounds to me like Kane is on the way out of Winnipeg.

Should of got ritchie and than i found out anahiem gets him with 10 - a 10 we should of got with that trade disaster yesterday and now we stuck with a lo talent bum at 6. It will be a tough decade or so :picard:

Virtanen has more skill than Ritchie, and has the speed a team needs to compete in the Pacific.

Kassian makes Ritchie a redundant player IMO. We needed a fast scoring winger more than a slower one with more size.

He's not gonna be half the player but this guy plays the game the EXACT same way as Ovechkin does.

North south, barells over anyone and loves to score. Like Ovi he'll probably need a playmaker and a good one to be his best, and he's not as much as a physical specimen but the basics are there

Should of got ritchie and than i found out anahiem gets him with 10 - a 10 we should of got with that trade disaster yesterday and now we stuck with a lo talent bum at 6. It will be a tough decade or so :picard:

We say the same about you and your posts.... Oh the ironing

give us all a brake, than we dont have to reed yur posts.

Archived