The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't understand why so many people are apparently so disappointed in Virtanen's point totals this year. Last season he he had 71 points in 71 games; this year so far he's totaled 45 points in just 41 games. That is a slight increase in offensive production, Last year he scored 42 goals and everyone complained about his low assist totals and presumed lack of playmaking ability and hockey sense; critics like Craig Button said he was a one trick pony than took the puck to the net strong but didn't use his line mates. This year he becomes more of a playmaker and we hear all this grumbling about low offensive totals.

Sure he hasn't taken a big step forward, but he has not regressed at all, why all the fuss?

This was our highest pick since the Sedins, and even Linden himself said this pick was going to be a corner stone piece of our franchise moving forward, all the players around Virtanen have taken a big step forward it seems besides Jake.

We gotta wait & see with him, his skillset is obviously very intriguing, I think everyone likes it, and he's coming off injury, I think next season will be more telling than this one.

It would be nice if he was scoring more, but he seems pretty hot and cold so perhaps his consistency will improve next season and his point totals would sky rocket, that would be great.

• Upvote 1

Alright, now I have a legit question.

Why does Virtanen get the slip for being a product of his environment? I'm not pretending to be a prospect expert but for a guy as highly touted as him with the draft ranking he possesses, shouldn't he be capable of driving the offence himself? He has all the tools. I mean, he can literally bully his way to the net if need be. A 6th overall draftee should by default be able to score in spite of his linemates, no?

• Upvote 1

Why does Virtanen get the slip for being a product of his environment? I'm not pretending to be a prospect expert but for a guy as highly touted as him with the draft ranking he possesses, shouldn't he be capable of driving the offence himself? He has all the tools. I mean, he can literally bully his way to the net if need be. A 6th overall draftee should by default be able to score in spite of his linemates, no?

nah. Hes working on his defense. Sigh

He does drive scoring by himself.

Just because a player isn't putting up 2 points a game in junior doesn't mean he's not playing well.

People keep falling into that trap that points are the be all and end all with prospects.

Just because a player isn't putting up 2 points a game in junior doesn't mean he's not playing well.

People keep falling into that trap that points are the be all and end all with prospects.

Maybe not the be all end all of the player, but with a sixth overall pick you kind of expect a certain scoring pedigree, though if he is working on his defence as stated above I guess I could kind of understand.

this guy is a HUGE disappointment. if we woulda draft ehlers or nylander we would be so excite for the future but this virtan guy is so risky. hope he picks it up and become at least a david booth that is not injury prone!

go canucks go

Edited by ComptonCanuck

Yeah his numbers aren't overwhelming but look at their roster, he's stuck behind a bunch of overagers and older guys. Overage players dominate in junior hockey, even a guy like Prab Rai had a great overage year after despite a pretty pedestrian career to that point. It's just a fact of junior hockey and I'm really not that concerned about the numbers. His assist totals have improved which I like and by all accounts of those who have actually watched him he's improved in many facets of the game he was previously considered to be deficient in. I'm really not worried yet.

He's still a very promising prospect (reflected by his #15 ranking by hockey news) and his combination physical skills and offensive tool set aren't seen in many kids his age.

which 6th picks overall get passed in jr team depth charts by overagers? Lol

• Upvote 1

Points are not the be all and end all in the NHLLLLL. They are the be all and end all for a powerforward that's supposed to be a top 6 forward in the nhl but can barely produce over 1ppg in jrs.... His offensive production trends towards a really good 3rd liner. So if you're all happy with that with the 6th pick then sweeeet.

Go read any advanced analytics on how junior production has a strong (not exact or perfect) correlation to nhl production.

• Upvote 1

What made Horvat stick with the big club? Was it defense?

Virtanen has been drafted already, I'd rather he made strides on the defensive side of the puck in junior before he's forced to do it in the NHL.

I saw enough in the World Juniors, he'll have impact when he arrives. And if he doesn't make the Canucks next year (he is now behind Baertschi on the depth chart so I don't expect it to happen) the sky is not falling.

Edited by Crabcakes

this guy is a HUGE disappointment. if we woulda draft ehlers or nylander we would be so excite for the future but this virtan guy is so risky. hope he picks it up and become at least a david booth that is not injury prone!

go canucks go

Dude get better, saying go canucks go after a troll post wont save you from the ban hammer lol

• Upvote 3

go canucks go

So pretty much you are disappointed in a pre-concussion booth 2.0? The same booth who scored 31 goals? Wut

Love it when stat watchers freak out over nothing.

Do I really have to keep using the word patience.

Stop trying project a players future with stat lines. It's getting ridiculous.

I get pure stat watching is ridiculous. But it's not quite as ridiculous as using excuses like linemates, toi, and his injury for his lack of production...

Sam bennett just got back from serious surgery and has put up 19 points in 9-10 games. Usually it takes weeks to months to get over a serious injury.... but the whole season? Come on

I'm not purely a stat watcher....I've watched many Virt games dating back to last year.

Wasn't it Horvat was a bad pick, should of picked Nichuskin less than a year ago?

LMFAO

Nichuskin's been out the whole year. It would be interesting to see how he would've done this year. So I wouldn't LMFAO for a couple more years.

I get pure stat watching is ridiculous. But it's not quite as ridiculous as using excuses like linemates, toi, and his injury for his lack of production...

Sam bennett just got back from serious surgery and has put up 19 points in 9-10 games. Usually it takes weeks to months to get over a serious injury.... but the whole season? Come on

I'm not purely a stat watcher....I've watched many Virt games dating back to last year.

On pace for 80 points this season after offseason shoulder surgery and some people are acting like he's dropping off the face of the earth.

It's great that Bennett is doing good, nothing to do with Virtanen though. Two different players in two different leagues. Bennett's game is points or nothing, so you would hope he at least puts up points.