The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

wtf are you talking about? Nylander played 42 games in the ahl registering 35 pts for an impressive .833 ppg. Jake has had 1 assist in 8 for .125 ppg.

Nomatter how you'd like to twist the stats nylander has had a much better season playing against men the entire year than jake has had even against kids for most of the year. As of right now nylander is looking much better. Obviously that may change over time but this cant be argued right now.

A team of Doug glatts will never beat a team of Patrick kanes.

Nylander played 5 playoffs games with 3 assists. Not exactly lighting the world on fire eh. Jakes played 8 with one assist. However, we know who has had a larger impact in the post season.

DownUndaCanuck, on 05 Jun 2015 - 7:36 PM, said:snapback.png

For those of you blind enough to consider Virtanen as NHL-ready, what makes you think, from his sub-par 8 AHL games and pretty mediocre junior season as an 18 year old turning 19, that Virtanen is higher up on our depth chart than guys like Linden Vey, Baertschi, Kenins, Hansen, Jensen and even Shinkaruk and Gaunce?

The general manager of the Vancouver Canucks said so?

Could you provide a source where Benning said that? I don't recall a report of him saying that.

Thanks.

DownUndaCanuck, on 05 Jun 2015 - 7:36 PM, said:snapback.png

Could you provide a source where Benning said that? I don't recall a report of him saying that.

Thanks.

he said that Virtanen is ready to compete for a spot on the radio on Wednesday i believe. Cdc homers take that as hes a lock next season obviously.

If his two way and physical game is good enough to stick with Utica without scoring, I'd see that as a positive right now. The kid is 18 and already getting his vegetables out of the way learning the tough lessons. With his speed and shot I'm sure the points will come.

Congratulations, you've managed to list off all the wingers who are older than Jake. Quite a stunning analysis. But besides being older and therefore having played in the AHL already, what exactly makes Shinkaruk, Grenier, and Gaunce ahead of Virtanen for next year? Do you think Shinks 16 goals at age 20 makes him more NHL ready than Virtanen? Or Grenier who is 23 and still scored a whopping 17 goals? And Jensen? This guy is in his 3rd season in the A and keeps getting worse each season.

You have no clue how making a team works do you? It will come down to training camp and the performance of the players there. Shinkaruk is a lock to return to Utica, Grenier and Gaunce have outside chances, same as Jake. Your list above isn't worth the time you spent to type it.

Downunda already said he doesn't watch any games, he lives in Australia, I'm not sure why anyone takes his posts seriously.

• Upvote 1

Downunda already said he doesn't watch any games, he lives in Australia, I'm not sure why anyone takes his posts seriously.

Ya its hard to take someone seriously when they list Nick Jensen above Virtanen on a depth chart. Benning's already said that Jensen isn't tracking to be a top 6 option and needs to learn to play a bottom 6 role. It's funny how people can be so critical of an 18 year old kid making his pro debut in the 3rd round of the playoffs and yet completely ignore that guys like Jensen and Grenier are 3-4 years older and still haven't cracked 20 goals in the AHL yet are somehow "ahead" of Jake on the depth chart. Completely laughable.

Ya its hard to take someone seriously when they list Nick Jensen above Virtanen on a depth chart. Benning's already said that Jensen isn't tracking to be a top 6 option and needs to learn to play a bottom 6 role. It's funny how people can be so critical of an 18 year old kid making his pro debut in the 3rd round of the playoffs and yet completely ignore that guys like Jensen and Grenier are 3-4 years older and still haven't cracked 20 goals in the AHL yet are somehow "ahead" of Jake on the depth chart. Completely laughable.

Jake is Raw, but our most physically gifted prospect. If we can develop him properly the sky is the limit.

Jake is a momentum changer, which ranks as high as a puck moving Dman in organizational needs.

I like the mix of players we have developing in our system IMO a guy like Jake would complement a guy like Sven B beautifully. Then throw a Pedan on the back end while those guys are on the ice and you have quite the mix.

Apparently Virtanen's cycle game has improved a lot already and one of his hits took 1 of their d-men out of the game already.

That is why he will be in the NHL next year, he's not going to learn anything in jr, especially on the Hitmen.

Exactly...I'll say it one more time; you don't develop top 10 picks in jr, you make them busts.

I don't think he'll be quite ready next training camp, but we'll see how his conditioning is in September. Still a really good sign if he is able to stay in the comets lineup at this time of the year.

I think he's exactly what the canucks need. Young, big, strong, and fast. Really would add a new dynamic to this team.

I don't know why people say his defensive game is bad. Watched the whole game today and it was actually very decent.

People need a reason to hate on him...... Because EHLERS AND NYLANDER

Edited by Gstank29

your last part will be debatable for years. Dont speak in absolutes. I didnt.

Jake needs to do more in his career than hit people. This year he didnt really do that. IM NOT WANTING HIM TO FAIL OR PREDICTING HIS FUTURE. IM JUST STATING THE FACT THAT WE WASTED OUR HIGHEST LICK IN THE LAST 15 YEARS ON A THIRD LINE GRINDER IF HE DOESNT EVENTUALLY START SCORING (like nylander is already).

:rolleyes:

As Virtanen is playing while Jensen is a healthy scratch it obvious that Virtanen has moved ahead of Jensen on the depth chart.

Grenier is ahead in the sense that if the Canucks had to slot in another RW today Grenier ranks ahead of Virtanen.

But, given his age, Virtanen is improving quickly. He could move ahead of Grenier on the depth chart next September. I think they both have an outside chance to make the big team next, although the odds are against it.

I don't know why people say his defensive game is bad. Watched the whole game today and it was actually very decent.

The scouting report is that Virtanen improved his defensive play a lot this year. And is clearly paying attention to his defense in Utica. There is no way he is a defensive liability. By this time next year I would expect him to be a strong defensive player and better than Kassian or Vey or Dorsett on this dimension. And that would be excellent for a 19-year-old (as he will be at this time next year).

• Upvote 1

The scouting report is that Virtanen improved his defensive play a lot this year. And is clearly paying attention to his defense in Utica. There is no way he is a defensive liability. By this time next year I would expect him to be a strong defensive player and better than Kassian or Vey or Dorsett on this dimension. And that would be excellent for a 19-year-old (as he will be at this time next year).

I don't think he (when he is on ice) has been scored on yet. On a side note, I actually didn't like his reluctance to shoot the puck today; he tried too hard to set up plays.

Apparently Virtanen's cycle game has improved a lot already and one of his hits took 1 of their d-men out of the game already.

That is why he will be in the NHL next year, he's not going to learn anything in jr, especially on the Hitmen.

Not just any d-man but Jeff Schultz. A 6'6" 225lb NHLer with 409 games to his credit and a couple monster seasons with the Caps. Losing Schultz could seriously hurt the Monarchs. And while we were outplayed tonight, the Manchester bench was extremely short all game. If the Comets can get in on the forecheck more and finish hits, they'll grind down the Monarchs VERY quickly.