The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The biggest improvement in his game that I have noticed recently is his willingness to get involved in board battles. Before he was staying just on the outside and waiting for the puck to pop out or a teammate to win the battle and get the puck to him. Lately he just gets stuck in and tries to get the puck himself. There's lots to like about his game lately as he continues to develop a complete game at the pro level.

That's great news. I think board battles were his biggest weakness. If he can use his strength and make that a positive in his game I can see him flourishing.

9 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

Does anyone know what specific issues Virtanen had, that he got sent down to Utica for? What aspects of his game does he need to work on? I'm hoping its the defensive side of his game, which would explain why we're seeing so little offensive production from him.

Effort and proffesionalism. The difference between Jake and the guy who took his spot on the team,Jack Skille was Skille is a rink rat, always working with the skills coach, watching film, working out, doing whatever it took to stick while Jake acted entitled. If Jake even gave $hit or half for that matter, with his size and speed, he could've easily been a mainstay on the 4th or 3rd line.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Good to hear his board play is improving. Should be something he consistently dominates. 

Heres hoping, Virtanen would be a very scary player if he ever puts it together. A guy that big, with speed and a mean streak, his upside is so vast that if he fullfilled his potential, he would make Ehlers and Nylander look like yesterdays news, but is lacking on the most important and yet, simplest thing to have and thats EFFORT

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I HOPE SO! 

Hirschier or Patrick would be amazing and would give this franchise a much needed boost. We have a chance, though to win the lottery. I'd rather just win the second overall, and not have to make the difficult choice of picking either Patrick or Hirschier. 

Patrick all the way. Nico is a great pick too, but I take the big western center that has been able to produce ungodly numbers in junior with so few games played. 

In two years time. 

Patrick and Horvat as a top two centres. Teams will just get tired trying to regain possession.  A fit and ready Jake on the left wing, McDavid might have to keep his head up. Golds on the right with Patrick going into the dirty areas and making plays. 

Patrick reminds me of Autsin Mathews. Austin was only 2 weeks late for the previous years draft as well. So what. Patrick would have gone 3rd last year.  You don't pass on Patrick to take PLD. 

Our second line is Baer, Bo and Boeser.  Sign me up. 

Granlund Sutter and Eriksson/Daphne. 

with Gaunce Labate and Chaput/Megna.  

If we get the choice, Patrick is our man. Taking Nico or Middlestad is great too, but Patrick is better. 

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Patrick all the way. Nico is a great pick too, but I take the big western center that has been able to produce ungodly numbers in junior with so few games played. 

In two years time. 

Patrick and Horvat as a top two centres. Teams will just get tired trying to regain possession.  A fit and ready Jake on the left wing, McDavid might have to keep his head up. Golds on the right with Patrick going into the dirty areas and making plays. 

Patrick reminds me of Autsin Mathews. Austin was only 2 weeks late for the previous years draft as well. So what. Patrick would have gone 3rd last year.  You don't pass on Patrick to take PLD. 

Our second line is Baer, Bo and Boeser.  Sign me up. 

Granlund Sutter and Eriksson/Daphne. 

with Gaunce Labate and Chaput/Megna.  

If we get the choice, Patrick is our man. Taking Nico or Middlestad is great too, but Patrick is better. 

His injury history doesn't scare you EW?

8 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

His injury history doesn't scare you EW?

Not really. 

That is a team due diligence/scouting issue. Our medical team would be asssessing his history and the combine would be essential for Nolan. 

If you had the 1st or 2nd pick, you dig deep into Patrick's injury history and how he dealt with it. You hire sports injury pathologists to analyze and report their assessment.  If they red flag something, then yes you draft Nico. As a arm chair GM, I cannot effectively judge his medical history. This league has a lot of hall of fame inducties who had horrible injury histories. Orr, Bossy, Lemuiex, Bure, Neely etc. 

So Patrick is still my number one. 

If you have the 3rd pick and Patrick falls, take him.  

Every Scouting ranking has Patrick at number 1 without exeception. Last year, there was rumbling that Laine could go number 1. 

Patrick was the top ranked prospect while being injured and missing the WJC. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugor Hill said:

We have to be very lucky to get top 3.

Did you see Utica highlights from last night... as usual Jake didn't do much. But when some guy tried to cream him in the end boards, Jake bounced him right off.

At least he still got that.

All reports from utica said jake was the best player on the ice aside from demko. Didn't do much lol.  Game winning goal. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Gooseberries said:

All reports from utica said jake was the best player on the ice aside from demko. Didn't do much lol.  Game winning goal. 

You know what... I was talking the the game before against the Sens. Not the Demko shutout. Sorry.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

We have to be very lucky to get top 3.

Did you see Utica highlights from last night... as usual Jake didn't do much. But when some guy tried to cream him in the end boards, Jake bounced him right off.

At least he still got that.

Jake was 2nd star of the game and would have been 1st if it wasn't for demko who was unreal by all accounts

• Upvote 2

Just now, canuckistani said:

The real sleeper from this draft is going to be Villardi.

IMO, i'd actually draft him, because he has what it takes to be like Bo Horvat - kid's got everything, including size and is a better skater at this age than Bo.

He is like the consensus #5 by every scouting agency.

Just now, Hugor Hill said:

He is like the consensus #5 by every scouting agency.

Yeah, much like Bo was in his draft, sitting around the #5-10 mark.  But he is, so far, the best forward of his class because the likes of McKinnon and Barkov are nowhere close to Horvat in the defensive side of things, though they are slightly ahead in the offensive categories.

Villardi IMO is going to be the same kind of player. I've seen a few windsor games this year and this kid IMO is going to be the best of his class and IMO, the safest pick of them all. 

He doesnt have any glaring deficiencies/red flags the others ahead of him does ( Hischier : size and grit, Patrick : injury history & durability, Rasmussen: 5on5 effectiveness, Necas: Size & grit, etc).

One thing that stands out about Villardi and one of the reasons i think he will be the best overall forward of his class, is because the kid is 17 and exceptionally good at the cycle game for his age. This shows above average intelligence.

9 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

The real sleeper from this draft is going to be Villardi.

IMO, i'd actually draft him, because he has what it takes to be like Bo Horvat - kid's got everything, including size and is a better skater at this age than Bo.

I guarantee you if he's available at 5, we won't be taking him.  This I am 100 percent sure.

9 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Lmao highest sleeper ever. 

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yeah, much like Bo was in his draft, sitting around the #5-10 mark.  But he is, so far, the best forward of his class because the likes of McKinnon and Barkov are nowhere close to Horvat in the defensive side of things, though they are slightly ahead in the offensive categories.

Villardi IMO is going to be the same kind of player. I've seen a few windsor games this year and this kid IMO is going to be the best of his class and IMO, the safest pick of them all. 

He doesnt have any glaring deficiencies/red flags the others ahead of him does ( Hischier : size and grit, Patrick : injury history & durability, Rasmussen: 5on5 effectiveness, Necas: Size & grit, etc).

One thing that stands out about Villardi and one of the reasons i think he will be the best overall forward of his class, is because the kid is 17 and exceptionally good at the cycle game for his age. This shows above average intelligence.

I like this highlights package. It seems like most of the goals he either scored or generated are from right in front of the net.

NHL goals.

And yeah - he seems like a complete package. And he is young.