The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering Jake’s history with fitness, and lack of professional commitment off the ice, perhaps going to Vegas was not the most prudent choice for his break?  

Others have pointed out that next season Jake will need to clear waivers to be sent down.  He’s in a make or break period with us for these last 30 odd games.

my question, if I could ask Jake, would be, “does he feel like he’s playing well?”  

His progress, or lack there of, is a serious matter, and will impact how good our rebuild will be when done.  Every top pick that we miss on means one less really good player on our rebuilt team.  That means a weaker rebuilt team, when finished.  

It's his vacation. He can do what he pleases. Besides you have no idea what he did there. In case you didn't know there's an nhl team there now. Could he have scouted them? Maybe trained with a player from that team? Would it have been any different if he travelled to Toronto? If so why?

Stay out of players personal business. It's pathetic.

43 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How is going to Vegas an off ice issue...

I question the drive and dedication to play in the world's top leugue. I can remember Bo struggling at times in his first year. At the All Star break do you think Bo would of chose to party in Vegas or take many trips to the rink and gym. Virt looked out of shape that first game back against the Oilers. His lack of determination is troubling.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It's his vacation. He can do what he pleases. Besides you have no idea what he did there. In case you didn't know there's an nhl team there now. Could he have scouted them? Maybe trained with a player from that team? Would it have been any different if he travelled to Toronto? If so why?

Stay out of players personal business. It's pathetic.

The way he has been playing I was shocked to hear he went to Vegas. It's not just Vegas. There is a breadcrumb trail questioning Jake's commitment. He is so far looking like a player who will have a short disappointing career. I 100 percent think he can turn it around. But he will need to follow the Twins and Bo dedication model for that to happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Once in a while Jake does something fairly impressive, like skating fast down the wing with the puck and even sometimes getting a shot off. Most times though, Jake gets the puck and freaks out, skates as fast as he can with blinders on, but that's where his brain shuts off. He rarely makes a good pass or sets up a play, and he seems to be wasting a lot of energy chasing the puck all over the ice (ala Biega, just not as effective). He needs to slow things down and become more composed with the puck and do the little things right without the puck. He hasn't figured this out yet. I think Lind will eventually pass Jake on the depth chart.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What grade is that? :blink:

Never ceases to amaze me how quickly fans will write off a 21 year old. 

I hear you. It's not writing him off. It doesn't take a hockey genious to see the red flags on and off the ice. The skills are there but he is trending in the wrong direction. All that said in no way do I want to trade him. I want him here. Sink or swim.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Once in a while Jake does something fairly impressive, like skating fast down the wing with the puck and even sometimes getting a shot off. Most times though, Jake gets the puck and freaks out, skates as fast as he can with blinders on, but that's where his brain shuts off. He rarely makes a good pass or sets up a play, and he seems to be wasting a lot of energy chasing the puck all over the ice (ala Biega, just not as effective). He needs to slow things down and become more composed with the puck and do the little things right without the puck. He hasn't figured this out yet. I think Lind will eventually pass Jake on the depth chart.

I thought earlier in the year Jake was using his size better by making plays by protecting the puck possession well. Jake gets a bit of a pass right now because there is no talent pushing him. That time is running out. If he is not willing to amp up his physicality he could easily be passed by Lind on the offensive side or physicality by any number of prospects. 

I think it's the "Neely paranoia", where they might be afraid to give up on a big physical power forward in development. He could very well join another team and start producing. This would be devastating for Canucks fans. Kassian is also a pretty good example of giving up on a big physical power forward. He eventually got his s*** together and is now a good player. Which Canucks vets do you think are taking Jake under their wing, teaching him the fine details (eg. Vanek and Boeser)? I'm not sure anyone on the team is doing this, it looks like he's just being left to his own to figure it out. Maybe his attitude is rubbing team mates he wrong way? Maybe Dorsett was his mentor?

Reading the paper today the article on Boeser, he and Vanek seem to have a good bond and great chemistry. In the article, Boeser gushes about how good Vanek is and Thomas reciprocates as well. This is huge for Boeser's development, to have a vet like Vanek take under his wing. Also interesting, is there was no mention of the Sedins. Maybe they're saving their best mentorship for next year when their countrymen Pettersson and Dahlen join the team? This is BS. They should be in Jake's face constantly trying to help him as best they can. I just get the sense that they tried and he didn't get it, so they gave up.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think it's the "Neely paranoia", where they might be afraid to give up on a big physical power forward in development. He could very well join another team and start producing. This would be devastating for Canucks fans. Kassian is also a pretty good example of giving up on a big physical power forward. He eventually got his s*** together and is now a good player. Which Canucks vets do you think are taking Jake under their wing, teaching him the fine details (eg. Vanek and Boeser)? I'm not sure anyone on the team is doing this, it looks like he's just being left to his own to figure it out. Maybe his attitude is rubbing team mates he wrong way? Maybe Dorsett was his mentor?

Reading the paper today the article on Boeser, he and Vanek seem to have a good bond and great chemistry. In the article, Boeser gushes about how good Vanek is and Thomas reciprocates as well. This is huge for Boeser's development, to have a vet like Vanek take under his wing. Also interesting, is there was no mention of the Sedins. Maybe they're saving their best mentorship for next year when their countrymen Pettersson and Dahlen join the team? This is BS. They should be in Jake's face constantly trying to help him as best they can. I just get the sense that they tried and he didn't get it, so they gave up.  

Real tough to speculate what goes on behind closed doors. The twins bleed the blue. I'm sure they are doing what they can. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Real tough to speculate what goes on behind closed doors. The twins bleed the blue. I'm sure they are doing what they can. 

Yes, I know it's all assumption what their input is regarding Jake. Maybe he's just not a smart person and has difficulty understanding what he needs to do. Maybe the team has done all they can do to help him. I still have hope for him, but this is Year 4 since he was drafted. Maybe he should watch Tkachuk video.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I know it's all assumption what their input is regarding Jake. Maybe he's just not a smart person and has difficulty understanding what he needs to do. Maybe the team has done all they can do to help him. I still have hope for him, but this is Year 4 since he was drafted. Maybe he should watch Tkachuk video.

My thoughts exactly.  It's like an alcoholic. You can only do so much to help them. At some point they need to snap out of it and want to help themselves. And I agree in no way am I saying we give up on the kid.