The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

23 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to that draft as anything close to strong.  

Cool man. So do I get a medal for that, or what? 

EDIT: I was going to add more to my sarcastic comment, but looks like @Diamonds below added in what I was going to say. In addition, it looks like at least 20 of the first rounders are looking to become legit NHLers. Nowhere near as bad as the terrible 2012 draft. Like I said, "pretty decent". Hope I didn't ruin your day with that comment. 

Edited by pluralsight
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to that draft as anything close to strong.  

Well, I don't think anyone is going to argue that it was the strongest draft of the past decade. But considering that it's the D+4 year now and only one 1st round pick has yet to play any NHL games I think the draft is showing to be much stronger than originally thought.

I still don't know what to think about Jake though. I don't know if he's stubborn or just not getting it, but there appears to be a much better player in there than how he has been playing. 

18 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Cool man. So do I get a medal for that, or what? 

EDIT: I was going to add more to my sarcastic comment, but looks like @Diamonds below added in what I was going to say. In addition, it looks like at least 20 of the first rounders are looking to become legit NHLers. Nowhere near as bad as the terrible 2012 draft. Like I said, "pretty decent". Hope I didn't ruin your day with that comment. 

If you’d like a medal I’m sure we can find one?  The top end of that draft was weak (especially compared to many around it). I don’t see how you could argue that?  

If youre taljing on a ‘players who made the nhl’ level than it was respectable but nothing lacking in game changing talent imho. 

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

If you’d like a medal I’m sure we can find one?  The top end of that draft was weak (especially compared to many around it). I don’t see how you could argue that?  

If youre taljing on a ‘players who made the nhl’ level than it was respectable but nothing lacking in game changing talent imho. 

Where did I argue that part? I never mentioned anywhere that the top end wasn't weak. I agree that it was, especially for a top 10. Like I said, pretty decent. 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, rekker said:

This. Is what it is. Would rather keep him around as a bottom six player than trade him. He may just figure out some day as well. 

Would it be so terrible if we just leave him on the 4th line for a couple years he can earn his stripes and get some experience without the top 6 pressure?

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Would it be so terrible if we just leave him on the 4th line for a couple years he can earn his stripes and get some experience without the top 6 pressure?

Maybe. I think this the  last year he can clear waivers. So the Utica option expires after this year. He just seemed so much more confident to start the year.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Maybe. I think this the  last year he can clear waivers. So the Utica option expires after this year. He just seemed so much more confident to start the year.

I'm really choked on his passing these last two games (blind passes going nowhere) I wanted him to go to Kalamazoo but Utica is the more realistic option this season. Plus going to Las Vegas during the break. I'm starting to worry about any off ice issues that are affecting his game. 

41 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That's likely what will happen. 

I'm not sure there is much top 6 pressure any longer.  I think everyone realizes the chances of him reaching that potential is slim by this point.  As mentioned a page earlier, if he can even be a 3rd liner that puts up points here and there and plays a high energy, physical game - that's about as much as anyone expects now, and I do believe he's capable of that.

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm really choked on his passing these last two games (blind passes going nowhere) I wanted him to go to Kalamazoo but Utica is the more realistic option this season. Plus going to Las Vegas during the break. I'm starting to worry about any off ice issues that are affecting his game. 

How is going to Vegas an off ice issue...

34 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He is not progressing well. Been involved in minor hockey for years and I've seen this many times. Kids that can blow by everyone at an early age and shoot. They just don't deveop a sense for the game. He needs to keep it simple for now. Work hard in his end, throw some hits and wait for his head to catch up to the best league in the world. 

I was on the side of keep Virtanen in Utica despite his good showing in the pre-season because I'd figured he'd struggle towards the end of the season. Right now he's not even an top line player in the AHL, and you can't argue that. 

It's sucks because he's going to have to clear waivers next year to be in Utica and he'll most definitely be claimed. This is why you can't bank on pre-season production. Totally different in the regular season.

We're just going to have to move on from this pick. Hopefully he can be a serviceable 3rd liner which is definitely reachable. I hope next year he plays with Gaudette on the third line. 

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I was on the side of keep Virtanen in Utica despite his good showing in the pre-season because I'd figured he'd struggle towards the end of the season. Right now he's not even an top line player in the AHL, and you can't argue that. 

It's sucks because he's going to have to clear waivers next year to be in Utica and he'll most definitely be claimed. This is why you can't bank on pre-season production. Totally different in the regular season.

We're just going to have to move on from this pick. Hopefully he can be a serviceable 3rd liner which is definitely reachable. I hope next year he plays with Gaudette on the third line. 

Pains me to agree. It's on him to turn it around. The swing from positives to negatives within a game are incredible. Hope he finds his game. 

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How is going to Vegas an off ice issue...

Considering Jake’s history with fitness, and lack of professional commitment off the ice, perhaps going to Vegas was not the most prudent choice for his break?  

Others have pointed out that next season Jake will need to clear waivers to be sent down.  He’s in a make or break period with us for these last 30 odd games.

my question, if I could ask Jake, would be, “does he feel like he’s playing well?”  

His progress, or lack there of, is a serious matter, and will impact how good our rebuild will be when done.  Every top pick that we miss on means one less really good player on our rebuilt team.  That means a weaker rebuilt team, when finished.  

• Upvote 1