The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Yet Boes gets a free pass for the same thing.  

Lol... what? 

Firstly Bess was drafted 23rd overall. Not 6th. Their situations are not the same right off the bat.

Secondly, Boeser has battled through serious injury, as well as serious personal issues. Wrong and wrong again.

Next, Boeser has had his ups and downs but he has always listened and acted immediately to the coaches on what he needs to improve. It has been a perpetual struggle getting through to Jake. So, wrong again.

Finally, Boeser has made big strides in his two-way game. So even if he isn't scoring much out there, he isn't as much a detriment to the team when he is playing poorly as Jake is.

So no. It is *nothing* like giving Boeser a free pass.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Lol... what? 

Firstly Bess was drafted 23rd overall. Not 6th. Their situations are not the same right off the bat.

Secondly, Boeser has battled through serious injury, as well as serious personal issues. Wrong and wrong again.

Next, Boeser has had his ups and downs but he has always listened and acted immediately to the coaches on what he needs to improve. It has been a perpetual struggle getting through to Jake. So, wrong again.

Finally, Boeser has made big strides in his two-way game. So even if he isn't scoring much out there, he isn't as much a detriment to the team when he is playing poorly as Jake is.

So no. It is *nothing* like giving Boeser a free pass.

When Boeser isn't scoring he's completely invisible.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

On 7/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, Moose Nuckle said:

One more thing on Jake from me. 

Here's a guy who plays his best when he's playing physical, hitting, getting under skin. 

If he does that in training camp, Bo tells him off.

How is he expected to play his best in training camp if this is what happens?

Verdict: He isn't able to play his game in camp.

Wonder if the off-ice stuff, coupled with the fact that Zack and Micheal have been having resurgences, has been getting into his head.  
It certainly doesn't help when his bread and butter is labelled negatively by the captain of all people, when Ferland (for doing the same thing) is said to have had a positive camp.  Agreed, what's a guy to do when there's this inconsistency?  Guess he might just have to suck it up and play through the criticism and earn his spot back, since character is built after a long time but wrecked in a short time.

15 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Wonder if the off-ice stuff, coupled with the fact that Zack and Micheal have been having resurgences, has been getting into his head.  
It certainly doesn't help when his bread and butter is labelled negatively by the captain of all people, when Ferland (for doing the same thing) is said to have had a positive camp.  Agreed, what's a guy to do when there's this inconsistency?  Guess he might just have to suck it up and play through the criticism and earn his spot back, since character is built after a long time but wrecked in a short time.

I never get where he gets tagged with "inconsistency".  He's had a steady improvement every year of his career........isn't that what you want from a young player?

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Sometimes, that is correct.

And when Virtanen isn't scoring, he is visible for the mistakes he makes which lead to goals against.

Any more Bess bashing you wish to try out against reality?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, stawns said:

Boeser was playing injured, a lot. He's 100% now and in the best shape of his life. Let's see what happens next.

My bad, this is a Jake thread. Virtanen should take his career more seriously, because there are players working real hard to take his spot, and more on the way. Yes, home town boy gets many chances and they've been patient, but he's no longer a boy. He had a good year last year, but he can do better. He could be a consistent 25 goal scorer. With the Canucks entering a sort of playoff series and then maybe playoffs, Jake might be an effective player, who agitates, hits, and uses his speed. Him, Roussel and Ferland could be a handful.

Edited by NUCKER67

18 hours ago, kloubek said:

Sometimes, that is correct.

And when Virtanen isn't scoring, he is visible for the mistakes he makes which lead to goals against.

Any more Bess bashing you wish to try out against reality?

or he's forechecking and creating turnovers, which is where his real strength as a player is.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

or he's forechecking and creating turnovers, which is where his real strength as a player is.

That I agree, but he doesn't do much of either when he takes games off.

I truly love what Jake can bring. Despite defensive gaffs I do still view his skillset as a strong one overall. He is infuriatingly close to being a real force. He just needs to learn how to commit himself to the game. I can't help but feel he will eventually grow up.

Unfortunately, I feel the revelation will come wearing a different jersey.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

not last year. 

What Have You Done For Me Lately?

janet jackson GIF

Their goals per game is similar this year, boeser having the slight edge at 0.28 per game this year and jake at 0.26, but boeser's points per game is significantly better at 0.79, compare top jake's 0.52. You could point to brock having better linemates but i'd argue that's offset but the higher quality of competition brock plays agianst. I think most people would agree that brock brings far more playmaking ability than jake. 

i think even lately brock brings a lot more to the table than jake does. and as other have pointed out, brock had been playing with a lingering issue for a while it seemed. Not to mention he's been dealing with his father's health. There's much more room for forgiveness in boeser's under performance than there is jake's. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

Their goals per game is similar this year, boeser having the slight edge at 0.28 per game this year and jake at 0.26, but boeser's points per game is significantly better at 0.79, compare top jake's 0.52. You could point to brock having better linemates but i'd argue that's offset but the higher quality of competition brock plays agianst. I think most people would agree that brock brings far more playmaking ability than jake. 

i think even lately brock brings a lot more to the table than jake does. and as other have pointed out, brock had been playing with a lingering issue for a while it seemed. Not to mention he's been dealing with his father's health. There's much more room for forgiveness in boeser's under performance than there is jake's. 

So boeser gets to use excuses?  Again, I have no issues with him for what he is.  However the fact is that he is trending in the wrong direction after his rookie year, whereas Jake is steadily improving.

If Boes gets a pass on excuses, so should Jake for putting up steady progression playing 3rd and 4th line mins and very little pp time.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So boeser gets to use excuses?  Again, I have no issues with him for what he is.  However the fact is that he is trending in the wrong direction after his rookie year, whereas Jake is steadily improving.

If Boes gets a pass on excuses, so should Jake for putting up steady progression playing 3rd and 4th line mins and very little pp time.

But Jake drinks beer sometimes and has a phone. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

you didnt really address anything i said i kinda just reiterated your thesis so idk what to say man. refer to what i said in the post you quoted for my response to this.

• Wat 1

On 7/23/2020 at 5:55 PM, lmm said:

jizzle, I have one of those too.

Kinda makes you feel special dont it

buddy gives me wonkie face so often, I am beginning to think they is trying to flirt with me.

A great way to reduce 'stalking' would be to minimize the amount of times you specifically drop someone's names in posts that they having nothing to do with. Behavior like that will tend to garner a response after 2 or 3 ignored comments (you know, kinda like I did with you). Also, pro tip, avoid checking on people's profiles. I noticed you checked mine on July 10th, which was then nulled when you checked it again just a few days ago, despite us having no interactions in several weeks. Better be careful, might get misconstrued as the exact behavior you're accusing others of. Wouldn't that just be super weird?

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:16 AM, stawns said:

I cant stand all the Jake hate. But hating on Brock doesnt validate anything.

Also in my opinion Jake isn't on Brocks level. Draft position aside.

I would compare brock with Pearson, Horvat or toffoli and Jake with Leivo Gaudette or Macewen.

Both are deserving of spots on this roster though.

5 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I cant stand all the Jake hate. But hating on Brock doesnt validate anything.

Also in my opinion Jake isn't on Brocks level. Draft position aside.

I would compare brock with Pearson, Horvat or toffoli and Jake with Leivo Gaudette or Macewen.

Both are deserving of spots on this roster though.

I don't hate Boeser in any way, I think he's a good offensive player.  I absolutely think he gets a free pass though and I'm not sure why.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't hate Boeser in any way, I think he's a good offensive player.  I absolutely think he gets a free pass though and I'm not sure why.

I understand where you're coming from, and I think it still comes down to expectations. Boeser is expected to score goals and sometimes those are hard to come by wether due to bad luck, or injuries. I agree that on paper he has been trending the wrong way, but I personally believe that his back injury hurt him more then we know. I had a very similar injury playing sports about 3 years ago, and my back has never been the same. I work in physical/sports rehab and had all the recourses I needed and I still feel the effects of that injury daily. That's not even mentioning his wrist. 

Jake on the other hand is expected to play fast and hard. Something that he should be able to do night in and night out with proper effort (everyone has down nights though). I disagree with the notion he is a bad 2way player, I think he is actually generally solid in that regard. I also believe his trajectory has been going up, instead of down. This last year Jake finally looked like he was starting to understand the game.

I'm a huge Jake fan, likely one of the bigger Jake fanboys around these parts. But it's important to knowledge when he's struggling due to a perceived lack of effort. That seems to be Greens biggest pet peeve, and Jake is frequently being calling out on it. That is something that's controllable, while sometimes scoring droughts simply aren't as controllable.

The problem with comparing the 2, is they are not comparables. They are completely different players, and should be judged accordingly. I don't feel draft position should be part of the discussion, but unfortunately that also plays a part when people criticise Virt.

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 1