The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, McCannon said:

I think this is really the best argument. My take on him being up in the NHL is I think JB and team believe he needs to learn to play against men and at speed.

Playing in junior will simply allow him to play the same style (utilize his man strength and speed) to create time and space for himself which has provided him with the offensive opportunities he's had to unleash his shot, and get into good scoring positions and have time once he's in the danger areas.

In the NHL he will not have that time and space (as we've seen) because players are better and this is what he needs to adjust to (to be able to get to those spots, make quicker decisions, to shoot sooner, to release faster, to make the pass/shoot decision quicker). If he can't learn what he needs to learn in junior then it makes sense for him to play against tougher competition to learn to adjust his game to the pro level.

I suspect he will see 20 or so of the last 40 games and should he play inconsistently to start next year in preseason he'll be in the AHL with green. And nothing wrong with that. I do understand though why they want him up, I just don't think the skills he needs to learn to compete at this level / adjustments to his game that are necessary, are going to occur playing against 17-20 yr olds.

The WJC is the best of the best. It showed that against them he has a more challenging time. If his competition in junior was that level I think there is a fair argument to send him back, but its not. He should actually be in the AHL and as I said, I think his 2nd half will determine if he can stick here next year or if the AHL is in his future for a year or two.

Agreed.  He should be in the AHL but because of the rules, he can't be.  So the decision to be made is does he benefit more learning from the pros in the NHL or from the kids in junior? Benning appears to feel the NHL is the answer.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agreed.  He should be in the AHL but because of the rules, he can't be.  So the decision to be made is does he benefit more learning from the pros in the NHL or from the kids in junior? Benning appears to feel the latter is the answer.

Yes, and my point was, I think Benning and Co believe something similar to what I suggested. That whatever they feel HE needs to develop in HIS game, is better taught in the NHL and AHL than in the WHL. If indeed it is along those lines, sending him back may simply perpetuate the holes in his game making them harder to break out of when he moves to the pros.

Ie you see it all the time with kids when they turn 13/14 in any sport. The big kid doesn't need to develop as much because he can bully his way to the net, to the endzone, to the hoop etc. The problem is, eventually the other kids catch up and now, he has failed to develop his game sense the way he should have, the nuances etc, and the bullying his way to those spots no longer works.

I really see that in Jake, the game that worked in Junior for him is not the same game that will work in the pros. Parts of it yes, but he needs to make some significant adjustments, as most players do to be fair. I really see this as being the reason JB doesn't think Junior is right for him, it simply won't help him adjust his game the way HE needs to in order to be successful at the next level.

I find it funny how some of these same people can write off Virtanen at 19, yet jump off the roof of their house because we gave up on a 25 year old Kassian. 

I don't even get annoyed anymore, it's just another day on the Jake Virtanen  thread. 

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

And then there were countless Toronto fans calling him gutless LOL. There were some soft calls in that game

Virts gotta learn to shut his mouth and play. There are gonna be soft calls. Do you think they will stop if he pouts about it? It's just embarrassing as a fan.

4 minutes ago, Jeaves said:

Jake Virtanen:

"Personally, I think the refs were a little bit on their side, that's just how I think"

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/683372280299257856

Strome said he felt the reffing was a bit off too, so lets not blow this out of proportion. Not to absolve Jake on alot of stupidity and he should have owned it like a man, but piling on is silly, many on team canada saying the same.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jeaves said:

Virts gotta learn to shut his mouth and play. There are gonna be soft calls. Do you think they will stop if he pouts about it? It's just embarrassing as a fan.

the fact he can't just own it and move on is a character flaw, not an education problem.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Sounds like they are babying him, compared to the other prospects on the farm or in junior..don't like this one bit.

Really  it doesn't matter what we think. 6th overall is a massive investment for this franchise. It's obvious Virtanen has a lot of areas to work on. So why not do it under the watchful eye of the organization. Calgary couldn't care less about Virtanen's development, it's about winning. (Undertandably so) If Virtanen struggles on a competitive Calgary team he'd be demoted down the lineup. Then what?...Calgary would care but this organization sure would. 

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

...Marner scored 2 goals

Was it enough to win as team canada? No he still took Canada off the power play with minutes left for a good chance to tie the game. I'm not getting this virtanen bashing. Yes he was undisciplined, so we're the so called scorers of the team in strome and marner. 9 penalties isn't something to smile about in a elimination game like this. Coaching was bad as well as blackwood was shaky.