The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Virtanen will be a Canuck regular sometime next year or the year after.  Gonna be a great 3rd line player 35 to 40 points and hit like a truck. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. He's always realistically projected as a 30-40 point middle 6 forward. We always hope prospects can go above and beyond, but it's the exception not the rule. Still on pace to get there in my opinion. Could be more, but will need to take a big step next year if that's going to happen

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

Agreed. He's always realistically projected as a 30-40 point middle 6 forward. We always hope prospects can go above and beyond, but it's the exception not the rule. Still on pace to get there in my opinion. Could be more, but will need to take a big step next year if that's going to happen

I don't think if we checked this thread back in the summer of 2014 that people would be happy with a 30-40 point middle 6 forward, he was deemed the poster child of the new brand of hockey culture we were about to cultivate. It's only been the last 6 months or so, since Ray pointed out he's kind of like Hansen, that people started to adjust their expectations. 

I think you're right in that this year probably couldn't have gone any worse for the kid, and that next year is really a tell all for him - in terms of being a legitimate prospect. Because if you're not showing signs of dominating the AHL in your 2nd full pro season (Counting this one as his first and last year as a wash), then there are red flags that need to be seriously considered.

I don't think I've ever had a more bipolar feeling for a prospect than Jake. I've always hoped for the best because he was such an interesting prospect in 2014, but ever since the 2015 WJC, he just hasn't looked like the same player that warranted his selection spot.

Edited by junglesniper

11 hours ago, stawns said:

He'll likely spend the bulk of next season in Utica, probably first call up with Boeser (fingers crossed), but I see no reAson to think he won't be in the lineup and making an impact the season after that.

No offense, but if you don't watch him, then you really have no ground to stand on when complaining about him.  I mean that more in the general sense of "you".

Here

Someone has compiled dozens of these.  All 9 to 15 minutes worth of footage.  While it doesn't tell a team story you get a damned good idea of how this kid is doing 

Also...wtf AHL, get your feed together, so much grain I can feed a horse

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here

Someone has compiled dozens of these.  All 9 to 15 minutes worth of footage.  While it doesn't tell a team story you get a damned good idea of how this kid is doing 

In the words of the great philosopher, Charlie Brown.........good grief.

10 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Seen him plenty around town (abbotsford) and his attitude seemed normal. Never heard of any problems. 

Imo JV got lost in the fame and all the partying. Dude got lazy. Everything's come easy for him. Getting drafted by his hometown team was probably one the worst things possible. Way too many distractions for him. 

Seems like he's finding his way, finally. I see an nhl player but let's see if it translates to top 6. He's gotta put in work though. 

Or he was just 19 and not ready to play with the best players in the world.  I'm sure JB knew that, they just needed to get him out of Calgary.  I've always looked at this season as the true year one of his development and I think it's going pretty well.

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here

He looked really good in this one. Playing fast, nice passes, scoring chance, hard on the back check. Looks like he's developing well. Seems a little snakebitten with regards to points but he isn't playing with many other offensive players. Might be good for him to start in Utica next year and play with a guy like Dahlen or Boeser. Hoping we get ZAR as well down there.

6 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Jesus Christ people can we stop bringing up the past on JV. Yeah we could have had ehlers or nylander.....whatever, it's getting old. He came to camp out of shape and was floating around on the ice.....well he's not anymore. He's partying (maybe) and being entitled was a red flag for sure.......he was 20 and every time you turn on the radio/tv you see yourself as the saviour, it went to his head and sure it shows immaturity but cmon people I think we can give him a pass if it doesn't continue. 

The guys been working hard and playing great the last month or so. If he was playing like this he would have never been sent down in the beginning. He doesn't have the creativity and hockey iq to drive play in the offensive zone but that's not his game. He's using his speed when the puck gets on his stick drive defenders back to gain the zone, that's how he is suppose to drive play. He's definitely snake bitten this year but he's been picking up a couple points lately, maybe they're finally starting to go in. 

Kids playing well lately. Let's start focusing on the present and future 

Give it some time. Will take a little while to get over the dissapointment of Jake this year but if he can show he is truly improving and working hard then the majority of people will start to get behind him.

It is nice to hear that he is righting the ship, hopefully he continues in a positive directing for the rest of the year and into the off season where he learns from last year and trains properly. Keep fit and work on his shot accuracy. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I have no issue with that, but then those people shouldn't come in here moaning and complaining about him.

So...because I watch These kinds of 10-15 minute clips of him shift by shift game by game instead of watching the entire game I shouldn't make mention of his progression?

Or am I reading that wrong

One thing that excites me is knowing that the Sedins will likely move down to the second or third line over the next couple years (pending they keep playing which I think they will), and when guys like Virtanen, Goldobin, Boeser, etc. come up to the club, that's the line they will be starting on! They won't be relied on for all the scoring, but they will be perfect players to put these young guns with to bring them into the league.

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

One thing that excites me is knowing that the Sedins will likely move down to the second or third line over the next couple years (pending they keep playing which I think they will), and when guys like Virtanen, Goldobin, Boeser, etc. come up to the club, that's the line they will be starting on! They won't be relied on for all the scoring, but they will be perfect players to put these young guns with to bring them into the league.

I love the twins, but do you really see them playing past next year?  While they still have decent offensive output, they are a train wreck defensively.  I think they have too much integrity to tarnish their legacy.

3 hours ago, junglesniper said:

I don't think if we checked this thread back in the summer of 2014 that people would be happy with a 30-40 point middle 6 forward, he was deemed the poster child of the new brand of hockey culture we were about to cultivate. It's only been the last 6 months or so, since Ray pointed out he's kind of like Hansen, that people started to adjust their expectations. 

I think you're right in that this year probably couldn't have gone any worse for the kid, and that next year is really a tell all for him - in terms of being a legitimate prospect. Because if you're not showing signs of dominating the AHL in your 2nd full pro season (Counting this one as his first and last year as a wash), then there are red flags that need to be seriously considered.

I don't think I've ever had a more bipolar feeling for a prospect than Jake. I've always hoped for the best because he was such an interesting prospect in 2014, but ever since the 2015 WJC, he just hasn't looked like the same player that warranted his selection spot.

This is not a perfect system by any means, but it shows that we should have been expecting him to produce at around .41 points per game in the NHL or around 34 points per season, based on his draft year stats. I wasn't as savvy on the whole prospect development thing in 2014 and was definitely thinking he could be more like a Jeff Carter if we were lucky. His closest comparable in this system is Michael Grabner though. I would take a Grabner that hits, and plays well defensively in his prime. Grabner, although inconsistent, has had 5 separate 20 goal pace seasons in the NHL. He's also had 2, 30+ goal seasons after this year is done. Most people would be happy with Jake having 5 20 goal seasons between now and his 29th birthday, if he's playing that heavy forechecking speed game.

Niederreiter has also had 3 20 goal seasons now before his 25th birthday. Another similar player in terms of their draft year, and a valuable player on a deep Wild team now.

58c82b1756d40_Screenshot2017-03-1418_27_10.thumb.png.bc1c88e656a616fe08a62d0d5f40a606.png

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I could see Jake moving up once the Sedins are done. I think the sedins after next year will sign for another 2 for probably 4-5M per and Jake could use the next 3-4 years to develop his game in the AHL and take the pro's by storm. 

3-4 years?  That's not happening.  I think he will spend the bulk of next season in Utica, but with how he's playing it's not out of the realm of possibility he's in Van next season either.  I'd prefer another year in Utica, but no chance at 3-4 seasons.

• Upvote 1