The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

Am I the only one here who thinks signing Stastny and Vanek to long term deals would not only be a mistake because they would never live up to their contracts but also it would not allow our young prospects to take over the top 6 in a few years.

Cammy is the best top 6 option IMO and the rumour is that he's looking for 5x5. I think that's a reasonable cap hit, and if the the term is too long, he should easily be tradeable if we need to open up a spot for a young guy

In my opinion Tanev gets a 3mil bridge contract and Kassian gets at least 2.5 and I dont know why Hansen needs to get kicked out with his NTC ready to start in less than 48 hours

In my humble opinion I think the no trade clause is the exact reason to trade him. I like the idea of a NTC if it gets a palyer like the Sedins or Kesler (although that one kind of bit us in the a$$) to sign here for less money but giving them to guys like Hansen & Garrison is just plain stupid in my opinion & I'm very happy that we got Garrison's contract outta here.

Assuming Tanev gets around 2.5 mil, Kassian gets 1.5, and Hansen is on his way out (Dorsett makes him expendable IMO), we have roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots.

We obviously have holes in our top 6 and on D, so what is the best way to spend this money? Does Benning sign a goalie?

What are some options people like? Statsny? Bolland? Boyle? Niskanen? Iginla? Richards?

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)

Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Ronalds Kenins ($0.680m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.500m)

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,436,944; BONUSES: $1,103,333

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $14,563,056

I agree with you on Hansen.

Few things I think though is Tanev at 3 mil and Kassian at 2 million.

Burrows on the first, Kass on the second and Jensen on the 3rd

Sestito instead of Kearns.

Stanton instead of Corrado. I think Corrado and Sbisa will be exchanging games next season.

I'd like to see Hiller as our starter playing no more than 60% of the games. Moulson as the 2nd line left wing I think would be a good fit with Bonino and Kassian. That gives us a softish 1st line but 3 lines that can bang and contribute on the score sheet.

If Horvat doesn't turn out to be ready I'd love to see Bolland on that 3rd line. He's a guy who we could over pay to play on the 3rd line knowing that if needs be he's serviceable on the 2nd line.

That gives us lots of cap space where if by some miracle we're contending at the deadline we can buy big.

In my humble opinion I think the no trade clause is the exact reason to trade him. I like the idea of a NTC if it gets a palyer like the Sedins or Kesler (although that one kind of bit us in the a$$) to sign here for less money but giving them to guys like Hansen & Garrison is just plain stupid in my opinion & I'm very happy that we got Garrison's contract outta here.

We just had 2 players with ntc traded. They mean very little if a player doesn't want to be here or isn't wanted here,

Am I the only one here who thinks signing Stastny and Vanek to long term deals would not only be a mistake because they would never live up to their contracts but also it would not allow our young prospects to take over the top 6 in a few years.

Cammy is the best top 6 option IMO and the rumour is that he's looking for 5x5. I think that's a reasonable cap hit, and if the the term is too long, he should easily be tradeable if we need to open up a spot for a young guy

That term is so long that he may be untradeable unless we agree to retain salary, which should ALWAYS be unacceptable.

I agree with you on Hansen.

Few things I think though is Tanev at 3 mil and Kassian at 2 million.

Burrows on the first, Kass on the second and Jensen on the 3rd

Sestito instead of Kearns.

Stanton instead of Corrado. I think Corrado and Sbisa will be exchanging games next season.

I'd like to see Hiller as our starter playing no more than 60% of the games. Moulson as the 2nd line left wing I think would be a good fit with Bonino and Kassian. That gives us a softish 1st line but 3 lines that can bang and contribute on the score sheet.

If Horvat doesn't turn out to be ready I'd love to see Bolland on that 3rd line. He's a guy who we could over pay to play on the 3rd line knowing that if needs be he's serviceable on the 2nd line.

That gives us lots of cap space where if by some miracle we're contending at the deadline we can buy big.

Would rather Cammy over Moulson. I just prefer his compete level

This management group still wants to compete. That has been known. I think they make a play for a legit top 6 veteran.

I too think that Cammalleri would be a nice shooter to sit beside Bonino and Kassian/Burrows/Jensen/Vey. He would compliment the veteran group nicely and has got an amazing work ethic off the ice... Also give the PP a significant shot in the arm.

Theyre clearly looking at adding a goaltender for the right term... Im betting they get one.

And Id bet theyre looking to add some toughness off the back end, which is lacking a true knuckle thrower. As mentioned, Engelland can definitely do that...

Theres many more examples... but this is the kind of addition where Benning adds an exclamation that this new culture is one that wont be pushed around.

I don't see us going after any of the big name free agents. We also don't need any top veteran d-men either.

Benning will probably try to get a good deal on a player or two that he likes, but we're not overpaying for any of the top free agents. Based on his moves so far I believe Benning is going to build this team the right way and that usually doesn't involve throwing huge amounts of cash or long terms to the top FA's.

FA's I think we should target:

Hiller

Moulson - maybe if we can get something fair, doubtful though.

Ott

Yeah I see him getting a contract that takes him to UFA status.

That would be awful unless it's a 7-8 year deal. If it's like a 4 year deal I'm almost certain he walks or we overpay him on his next contract.

Best way to go is to play it safe and give him a 2 year deal to maintain his rights

I think we should go for wingers. We seem to be set in other positions. Center we have Sedin + Bonino + Matthias + a bunch of prospects who will be ready in 2-3 years. Defense we already have top 4: Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Tanev. And 2 developing def: Corrado + Sbisa. Goalie, I think Lack is solid for us.

Here's the names I think we should go for:

Vanek: 40 goal scorer.

Cammalleri: another pure goal scorer who's got a few good years left

Hemsky: Invisible in Edmonton, turned into a ppg player since traded to the Senators. The problem is probably Edmonton.

Michalek: Seems to be on the downfall... Good for 2nd/3rd line nonetheless.

Penner: Not much to say, big body 3rd liner

Haven't read all of this thread but hope no-one has or does suggest trying to sign Vanek after his abysmal performance in the playoffs. Stay far far away from him.

Sign veteran goalie Miller or Hillier and also like to see Bolland sign here too, whom would provide much needed toughness and he can score abit too.

Iginla to play with the twins would be good, look at the year he had last year. He would pretty much guarantee the twins having a good year.

I 100% agree with this statement.

Iggy would play one more year, maybe two, put up good numbers, get the Twins going again, plus be a mentor to our young guys--and that you just can't put a price on.

Jerome Iginla full stop

Archived