The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

Boychuk's play is the definition of cheap stuff. The only way I trade for that dirty POS is if he's traded again before he's ever allowed to disgrace the Canucks uniform.

Exactly as I suggested -- flip him with Hansen off to Buffalo, where he'll have lots of opportunity to dish it back to the B's.

Brad Richardson? Sestito?

What has Zalewski done to deserve to be on the team? Same with Lain?

Bo Horvat on left wing?

Gaunce on 3rd line? OHL/AHL before NHL

You trade Burrows and Hansen to have capspace, yet you don't use the capspace....

So much wrong

I don't really like the play of Sestito, and JB said he wanted more size on the bottom 6 which is why I didn't include Richardson.

Zalewski is 21 years old 6'2 205 with some offensive upside and played well the last two games of the season.

I don't know much about Bonino's face-off skills so I put Horvat on the LW ( they could switch)

Also I didn't say not to use the cap space.

If we got Johansen, I might just cream my khakis.

Aren't your khakis already cream? :P

Some of these names... i mean, even Ryan O'Reilly... they are only unrealistic if you are unable/unwilling to overpay to try and pry one of them away.

We certainly have the money for at least ONE of these guys. It gets a bit political with offer sheets and rights to match etc... but target a team that's close to the cap and who knows ;-)

Some of these names... i mean, even Ryan O'Reilly... they are only unrealistic if you are unable/unwilling to overpay to try and pry one of them away.

We certainly have the money for at least ONE of these guys. It gets a bit political with offer sheets and rights to match etc... but target a team that's close to the cap and who knows ;-)

Offersheet a player and kiss our chances of getting McDavid goodbye.

I would over pay for Johansen or O'Reilly! It super unlikely but we can dream lol

Getting anyone decent would result in our 2015 1st going the other way (and likely other picks too). Anything less and the team matches and says thank you.

I was thinking it may have been possible to get around the compensation (silly me!) by way of bonus structure but it looks like that's not possible, as the Calgary/ROR situation a couple of years ago shoots me down.

(signings of under $1.1M don't incur a penalty but it looks like any bonuses are counted towards that number.... hey a man can wish!)

Fair enough. I was just saying that none of that (aside from Kes) has happened yet so.....

Not much in the way of UFA centers with RH shots available. The RFA pool has a few interesting possibilities.

Brandon Sutter:

6'3" 190lbs

RH center.

25 years old

Pittsburgh

(also played in Medicine Hat, lol)

Of course, there's local boy Ryan Johansen:

6'3" 223lbs

RH center.

22 years old (next month)

Columbus

Tommy Wingels

6' 200lbs

RH center

26 years old

San Jose

I didn't check the whole list, but you can here: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=C&fa_type_id=1

Of course these guys are "restricted" for a reason..... but..... we have a lot of money to throw around suddenly... hehehehe :bigblush:

sutter played for red deer, not medicine hat.

Deniro, you are amongst the best in this forum and i always enjoy your insight, i'm not so sure we have to spend for the sake of "change is coming ". if anybody knows what free agents are available ( post em ) next year may be more prudent, as this list doesn't have me salivating at all.

as for hansen he has good market value for a deal, a team like pittsburgh could use him or even montreal. those teams and others need depth and though he looked lost last year, he is young enough to return to old form.

love the new management team here, they have waisted no time by looking after the books and building for both now and the future, excellent job!

you forgot abut the canucks signing miller. it will happen. 100%sure about that. the canucks do need a vet goalie. so after miller you looking at about 9 million. miller will sign for 5 mill for home town discount hopefully. and we need a scorer so i believe the canucks will make a splash for vanek.... that would be about 6-7 million. as for the d...i see another trade coming with hansen before his no trade clause kicks in.

I don't understand why so many are advocating for hiller. Did any of you watch him last year? He was awful during the 2nd half and there was a reason why he was benched at the end of the year and in the playoffs. He's washed up now. I don't want us to sign another goalie and want us to just run with lack/markstrom or a veteran backup.

I hope they don't spend right to the cap on UFA's. Most don't really work out for the Canucks. I would rather hold some back and wait for that key player that we need to come up for trade during the season.

The Canuck's are in a 3-5 year rebuild, retool, makeover or such and dumping $7M on a UFA like Statsny for example would only lengthen the process. We should be stockpiling players that are going to be with us long term, Give Horvat, Jensen etc a chance to play. When the prospects are ready to roll, that is when you spend.

Same for Eddie Lacks situation, don't spend $4.5M-5M per year on Miller....get a veteran backup and give Lack a chance to play.

We need another prime draft position next year to add quality players.....personally. if we make the playoffs. I want it to be because the younger guys stepped up, not because of some high priced rental players.

I don't understand why so many are advocating for hiller. Did any of you watch him last year? He was awful during the 2nd half and there was a reason why he was benched at the end of the year and in the playoffs. He's washed up now. I don't want us to sign another goalie and want us to just run with lack/markstrom or a veteran backup.

Neither one of Hiller/Miller were too great last year, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Hiller.

If the plan is to get younger but do everything to also win at the same time, I'd look at Tokarski in Montreal.

At 24, he's got a Mem cup under his belt (2008), named MVP of Canadian National Junior Tourny, Gold Medal World Juniors (2009), and then won a Calder Cup in the AHL in 2012.

He's smaller than Lack, but he's won big everywhere he's been and he got a huge taste in the Conf. Final last year vs. Rangers.

Montreal already got a gold nugget from us in Weise. Maybe they would bite on either/or Hansen/Lack/Markstrom for Tokarski.

I don't like the idea of spending to the cap.

Canucks may be better off with a 1A - type goaltender, like Ray Emery, or an aging but still servicable Martin Brodeur. It allows Lack the chance to grow but if he falters, the other guy can step in and play some games.

If the Canucks have a decent season, they could use the cap space for a rental player for a playoff run.

If they have to grab a UFA, get a scoring winger like Iggy, and don't give him any term (2 years max)

Offersheet a player and kiss our chances of getting McDavid goodbye.

Do people actually think we have a shot at McDavid?

There are much worse teams than the Canucks current roster, and they haven't even added free agents yet.

Archived