The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

I hope they don't spend right to the cap on UFA's. Most don't really work out for the Canucks. I would rather hold some back and wait for that key player that we need to come up for trade during the season.

The Canuck's are in a 3-5 year rebuild, retool, makeover or such and dumping $7M on a UFA like Statsny for example would only lengthen the process. We should be stockpiling players that are going to be with us long term, Give Horvat, Jensen etc a chance to play. When the prospects are ready to roll, that is when you spend.

Same for Eddie Lacks situation, don't spend $4.5M-5M per year on Miller....get a veteran backup and give Lack a chance to play.

We need another prime draft position next year to add quality players.....personally. if we make the playoffs. I want it to be because the younger guys stepped up, not because of some high priced rental players.

Totally agree. I'd try to go for Loui Eriksson instead, he's got proven chemistry with the twins and a first line bargain at 4.25 mil. We should try to open a spot on each of the bottom 3 lines for a young player.

I think adding more money onto our pile by blowing Hansen out of here by Tuesday is a must. Vey certainly figures to fill his spot on the roster.

If the Canucks don't sign a veteran goalie, I'm good with that. The team isn't expected to win next year and I'd like to see Lack get plenty of starts. If Benning feels a need to get a vet backup purposes only, that makes sense. Determining if Lack is a viable #1 for the future should be the main goal for the team this year in net.

As for our RFA's, Tanev is unlikely to sign for less than $4M/year. And as frustrating as Kassian has been, he's going to be $2.5M at least. Weber will come cheap again if no better option is sought out. I'm fine in letting Schroeder, Dalpe and Santorelli walk.

And if Benning chooses not to spend the money avaialable, I'm fine with that. It just means young guys will be counted on to play a lot of minutes and I think that's just what the organization needs right now. Having cap room is great, but it doesn't need to spent right now. The flexibility it provides going forward is a terrific asset.

If Kes left....and gave his reasons why on the way out...saying his 'mates are losers and he's compelled to jump ship because of that,...what big-time free-agent chooses us if we dont over-pay for 'em? I'll tell you who,...the hometown-boys,...young RFA players,... former-Desjardins players,... they might-come & stick after we trade for them or offer-sheet them away from other strapped teams. Other than that....the loyalty will likely come from within... from these players who've developed bonds on the farm.

If not ,..the.mercenaries like Kesler... will just do what he did. They're attracted to & by the highest teams in the standings. I'm impressed by players willing to be builders on teams like COL, MIN & soon enough.. ours. They will eventually be rewarded. Stability & continuity does that ...& their joy will be more full.

I think Hansen falls in the Edler category as one of the players who just got more confused,...and recoiled, under the barage of F-bombing from Tortorella. Bring in a more educated & humble guy with the proper communcation skills & you'll see Hansen & Edler regain their form. That an some more lenient & fair DPA rulings concerning our 'Nucks. The new guy coaching has a teaching degree & gets how to teach & mentor in ways that endear players & gets them to sacrafice for the proper reasons... without being conflicted.

Must have been draining to be have numerous things constantly alienating you from your coach... due to stress, , lack of fairness, self-doubt, embarassment or fear. You want to win - sure,...but do you want the entity who's coaching you like that...rewarded? It's a dilemma, a guy like Kes... found frustrating to see amongst his 'mates.

Winning is great, sure! But, winning with dignity & honor is better...hell, it's the best.

Getting anyone decent would result in our 2015 1st going the other way (and likely other picks too). Anything less and the team matches and says thank you.

It's pretty obvious, if we were going to hand out an offer sheet to a player like O'Reilly or Johansen. We won't be tanking for McDavid and it's more than likely we'll make the playoffs.

Do people actually think we have a shot at McDavid?

There are much worse teams than the Canucks current roster, and they haven't even added free agents yet.

agreed, they will challenge for a playoff spot next season I think.

Stastny all the way! Lol!

Can we get callahan? I think he can be our 2nd line winger with stastny and jensen as the other winger!

And if possible if we had some cap space. Please go for hiller we need someone who can challenge lack for the number 1 spot! Markstrom can do that maybe in 1 or 2 years but not now!

People need to stop talking about Iginla coming here. Like Kesler, he wants to win a championship and that won't happen in Vancouver with the time he's got left. He will go to a contender. If he didn't, he'd go back to Calgary.

Besides he can't wear his number 12 here anyway, lol!

maybe... but why does miller reportedly want to play for the canucks then? does he not want to win?

I'm sure we don't look as great on paper as last year but I do think that Torts was absolutely horrid last year, so if Desjardens can actually get our team back in form then we'll be pretty competitive again.

I think Bonino while not as great as Kesler individually will make his wingers alot better.

maybe... but why does miller reportedly want to play for the canucks then? does he not want to win?

I'm sure we don't look as great on paper as last year but I do think that Torts was absolutely horrid last year, so if Desjardens can actually get our team back in form then we'll be pretty competitive again.

I think Bonino while not as great as Kesler individually will make his wingers alot better.

If you have mills it's a good place to retire

There's absolutely no guarantee that Jensen will be a top 6 forward next season. He finished of quite strong with us, but didn't exactly impress in the AHL. Maybe he just had a hot-streak with us, maybe he's just playing better with better players. Who knows. But one thing for certain is that we need a top 6 winger. And not just a top 6 winger, a good top 6 winger. Vanek would obviously be really nice, but i believe he's seeking top money that only bottom teams can afford. Probably a long term contract too. Yes we do have the money for Vanek, but we should look at this long term. I think Moulson would be a great fit, and he would also be slightly cheaper. He would probably want at least 5M per season, possibly a little more. I would be ok with 5M/4 years.
If we're indeed getting a top 6 winger, then i'm not sure if Jensen will be with us. Don't really see where he will fit in, unless we're shipping out a couple of players. Corrado should also be in the AHL next season. He's young, and i think it would be best for him if he's getting top minutes. Would be a solid call-up option though.

Love to get Statsny and Niskanen but that would take the whole 14M and leave us nothing to pick up salary at the trade deadline. We need a sniper for the Sedins to play with. Kassian is still only a third liner.

IMHO if we field the line up you suggest we will be drafting real well next year.

Love to get Statsny and Niskanen but that would take the whole 14M and leave us nothing to pick up salary at the trade deadline. We need a sniper for the Sedins to play with. Kassian is still only a third liner.

IMHO if we field the line up you suggest we will be drafting real well next year.

He's a second liner. Did you catch last season? He looked like a first liner on this team.

If we can roll four lines, with fast changes, high tempo play , without over playing people, we can wear people down. Chara looked like he was completely confused and out of sorts with Montreal swarming him like they did. We can play like that. Youth, speed, relentless, and a long bench so we can sustain it all. But we need that solid D and goal tending. The had had PK and Price to backstop their run and gun play. If the Oilers had a PK and a Price they could easily get late in the playoffs with their speed as well. IMHO chasing todays cup winner is doomed to failure because tomorrows cup winner will play it different and that is who we will need to plan on beating.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Statsny Jensen

Higgins Bonino Dorsett

Matthias Richardson Vey

Hamhuis Niskanen

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa

Looks good to me. Mix of youth and veterans.

Jensen and Kassian both step into bigger roles, and Horvat spends another season in junior developing.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Corrado with regular call ups.

Bolland is injury PRONE. There is no way we need another David Booth here. If we are going to play a fast physical game we better all bear that in mind.

Hemsky is another to avoid. I see his name mentioned.

Stastny is just not physical enough for me and has no real playoff form, I wouldn't mind Setoguchi though.

Bolland is injury prone? Based on what, last season? Get real. The guy can play 60+ games a year consistently. That skate cut injury was an accident from Kassian.

Linden Veys not apart of peoples 13 fwds?

Upgrade on Schroeder and Dalpe

I didn't put him in because we didn't trade for him yet.

Why did Luongo want to go back to Florida more than any other team? As much as I'm sure Lu wants to win a championship he wants to play where he is the most comfortable. When he got traded here he was initially shocked and the rumours flew that he might not even report for the Canucks. He likely will never see a championship now with Florida but I don't think that bothers him much. He's home and happy.

Miller also played for a team that was in no position to contend for quite some time. I'd argue that some players aren't as concerned about the Cup. Since most of the contending teams are locked up for goaltending, Vancouver might be the next most attractive option for Miller. Poor sap has no idea what he would be getting into here! I'd be ok with him but he'd be eaten alive here as I'm sure Lu would tweet, lol!

Personally with the cap space we have we can go hard at Stastny. He can help immediately to push for the playoffs short term and fit the long term plans of the team. Iginla would help short term, in potentially making the playoffs, but not for a team built for tomorrow and he wants to win a Cup now like Kesler. The Canucks would never get past LA, ANA or CHI right now. If ANA can swing it, I'd argue Iginla has a greater chance going there than here.

Archived