The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

22 minutes ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

bye bye Demko :(

Take into consideration how he feels right now, "Will I even make the NHL?" Letting in 3 goals early on and losing by 1 can take an impact on a young kid. He'll sign just let him process what just happened.

Edited by hyper00
Misspelling

20 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I'd give it until the end of the month Des.

If he hasn't signed by the draft he'll need to be asked for a list of teams.

He would not be asked for a list of teams. He can be traded anywhere at anytime. He has no say about his rights in the NHL until August 2017.

8 minutes ago, jstewboy said:

He would not be asked for a list of teams. He can be traded anywhere at anytime. He has no say about his rights in the NHL until August 2017.

What he meant was to say that if they can't get him signed, then they'll trade his rights to a team that he would sign with if he walked to free-agency. That way the Canucks can recover an asset, but a team won't just trade for his rights unless they know he will sign with them. That's why he would be asked for a list.

Just now, junglesniper said:

What he meant was to say that if they can't get him signed, then they'll trade his rights to a team that he would sign with if he walked to free-agency. That way the Canucks can recover an asset, but a team won't just trade for his rights unless they know he will sign with them. That's why he would be asked for a list.

Ah, yea. I definitely do not want to see that happen. 

38 minutes ago, hyper00 said:

Take into consideration how he feels right now, "Will I even make the NHL?" Letting in 3 goals early on and losing by 1 can take an impact on a young kid. He'll sign just let him process what just happened.

I eally hope so, I don't like the college player loophole thing. It is not good for the fans.

Just now, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

I eally hope so, I don't like the college player loophole thing. It is not good for the fans.

The loophole kinda helps the NHL team as well.. if they are a first rounder at least. Let's say Boeser hasn't impressed throughout his 4 years of college and failed to live up to his first overall potential. Canucks could choose to walk away and come away with a 2nd rounder in compensation.

It's part of the risk of drafting a college player anyways but maybe they'll change it so that you get compensatory picks for college players picked in the 2nd // 3rd rounds as well.

1rst --> 2nd

2nd --> 4th

3rd --> 5th

something like that would make it more digestible

Looked it up this is the actual rule, which makes it sound like it could happen with junior and european players as well?

When teams lose their rights to a first round draft choice, because that player was not signed to a contract and consequently re-entered the entry draft or became an unrestricted free agent, they are awarded a compensatory draft pick. This selection will be the same numerical choice as the first round draft pick who was not signed, but in the second round. For example, if a team cannot sign the seventh overall first round draft choice, it will receive the seventh pick in the second round of the next draft as compensation.[9]

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

1 more year wouldnt be bad for Demko, let him win a NCAA championship then he can go to Utica the year after

if he does not sign with the canucks in the next few weeks, it will not be because he want to win an NCAA championship, get my drift?

If JB Fs this up, he will get fired short of drafting Matthews and signing some big UFAs. The problem with this guy is he seems to not be able to imagine the worst scenario coming to fruition and he cannot keep things to himself. 

Don't tell the media you got all kinds of offers for Demko at the TD. Don't tell the whole world you are going to the Frozen four, because if you do not leave having signed Demko, then WTF were you there for? JB already looks stupid - he goes down there, meets with the kid and is told "I need more time" 

If Demko goes to free agency JB will look so stupid for not having traded him. JB has just let 29 other teams know that Demko may not want Vancouver, which will only put more pressure on JB and take him out of the driver seat if he needs to trade him.

damn.

Edited by Canucks Curse

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

if he does not sign with the canucks in the next few weeks, it will not be because he want to win an NCAA championship, get my drift?

If JB Fs this up, he will get fired short of drafting Matthews and signing some big UFAs. The problem with this guy is he seems to not be able to imagine the worst scenario coming to fruition and he cannot keep things to himself. 

Don't tell the media you got all kinds of offers for Demko at the TD. Don't tell the whole world you are going to the Frozen four, because if you do not leave having signed Demko, then WTF were you there for? JB already looks stupid - he goes down there, meets with the kid and is told "I need more time" 

If Demko go JB will look so stupid for not having traded himes to UFA. JB has just let 29 other teams know that Demko may not want Vancouver, which will only put more pressure on JB and take him out of the driver seat if he needs to trade him.

damn.

You're stupid...

JB isn't there just to talk to Demko. He'll be talking with Stecher, Cagguila, Boeser, Garteig and whoever else he has interest in for next year...

Even then there is nothing wrong with a GM going over to talk to his prospect to at the very least congratulate him on his overall successful season and to let him know how JB plans are the next year.

If Demko doesn't want to sign here I'm not sure what JB could do... Is Nashville a bad GM because they couldn't sign Vesey ? These guys are able to make their own decisions. IMO Demko will sign here even if he does go back for 1 more year.. I mean if he signs this year, he plays #1 in Utica for 1 year and has a spot to be a NHL backup the year after... I don't know where else he'd get a shot like that...

Then add to the McCann connection and the fact he's a west coast boy and would probably want to stay in the west.

I went on a bit of a rant here but honestly I hate people like you.. derive speculation from no viable resources and do nothing but fear mongering on these boards.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, goblix said:

You're stupid...

JB isn't there just to talk to Demko. He'll be talking with Stecher, Cagguila, Boeser, Garteig and whoever else he has interest in for next year...

Even then there is nothing wrong with a GM going over to talk to his prospect to at the very least congratulate him on his overall successful season and to let him know how JB plans are the next year.

If Demko doesn't want to sign here I'm not sure what JB could do... Is Nashville a bad GM because they couldn't sign Vesey ? These guys are able to make their own decisions. IMO Demko will sign here even if he does go back for 1 more year.. I mean if he signs this year, he plays #1 in Utica for 1 year and has a spot to be a NHL backup the year after... I don't know where else he'd get a shot like that...

Then add to the McCann connection and the fact he's a west coast boy and would probably want to stay in the west.

I went on a bit of a rant here but honestly I hate people like you.. derive speculation from no viable resources and do nothing but fear mongering on these boards.

1. Do you think Mann is super duper happy here? JB just left his name of the list of the next "core" saying instead that "Mcann has a chance to be in the next core," but that "hrovat, Virtanen, Hutton and Demko," were the core going forward. 

2.Go read the provies

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

1. Do you think Mann is super duper happy here? JB just left his name of the list of the next "core" saying instead that "Mcann has a chance to be in the next core," but that "hrovat, Virtanen, Hutton and Demko," were the core going forward. 

2.Go read the provies

1. McCann, should be happy with the organization... they kept him up for the full year, his play is on himself and he knows that. McCann should also be happy with that because it gets him 1 year faster to a bigger pay day and shows the organizations overall confidence in his abilities. Once again, you are deriving fear based on words the way something was said... fact that he's considered to be as a possible core player is faith enough for a 1rst year pro.

2. Botchford is king of the fear mongers so it's no wonder what you are preaching what he's spouting out. Anyways most of what Botchford says is pure speculation and not derived from fact.

There are those who believe the meeting between Demko and the Canucks did not go well, something which surely will be denied by DT on Monday.

This is his main speculative point... those (who?) who believe(did these guys actually talk to anyone?) that it didn't go well... DT (Dave Tomlinson -- thanks @mill ), he probably talks to management and players much more than Botchford does...

Anyways it's all fluff at this point until you can confirm that someone talked to Thatcher and confirmed a decision was made.

Edited by goblix
DT edit
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

2.Go read the provies

Provies..... Bahaaaaahaaaaaa....

great place to get your info...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, goblix said:

1. McCann, should be happy with the organization... they kept him up for the full year, his play is on himself and he knows that. McCann should also be happy with that because it gets him 1 year faster to a bigger pay day and shows the organizations overall confidence in his abilities. Once again, you are deriving fear based on words the way something was said... fact that he's considered to be as a possible core player is faith enough for a 1rst year pro.

2. Botchford is king of the fear mongers so it's no wonder what you are preaching what he's spouting out. Anyways most of what Botchford says is pure speculation and not derived from fact.

This is his main speculative point... those (who?) who believe(did these guys actually talk to anyone?) that it didn't go well... not sure who DT is ? maybe he meant TD (Thatcher Demko) ?

Anyways it's all fluff at this point until you can confirm that someone talked to Thatcher and confirmed a decision was made.

DT is Dave Tomlinson.  

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

If Demko goes to free agency JB will look so stupid for not having traded him. JB has just let 29 other teams know that Demko may not want Vancouver, which will only put more pressure on JB and take him out of the driver seat if he needs to trade him.

damn.

You are 110% correct.  Demko most likely knows he needs another year of development, so his choice would be spend that in Utica making 70,000, or finish his degree, live the college life, and become a UFA.  Hmmmm.  He could still pick us, but why rush it, when he needs to mature as a goalie more anyway?  

3 hours ago, jstewboy said:

Yes but if he's decided to go back and finish college and become a UFA next year one way to salvage something out of the situation might be to ask him for a list of teams he'd be interested in signing with right now if not with us. Maybe an LA or a San Jose might be able to part with, say, a fourth round pick on the chance he could sign this year a place he'd be looking at next year anyway.

3 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Yes but if he's decided to go back and finish college and become a UFA next year one way to salvage something out of the situation might be to ask him for a list of teams he'd be interested in signing with right now if not with us. Maybe an LA or a San Jose might be able to part with, say, a fourth round pick on the chance he could sign this year a place he'd be looking at next year anyway.

The way JB does business don't you think we will add a fifth to get that fourth?  Get these boys signed JB.  You are a recruiter now.  Lie, cheat, beg, borrow, steal, and GET THEM.