The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

i don't care what the F the count down is for, but he said he would sign within 2 weeks, so I hop ehe just signs soon and we can get this all over with.

I don't know, as I just said above it might weed out some of the crazies on this board since they wouldn't survive a year of this kind of speculation.

brenton demo follows pretty much all the canucks reporters on twitter and all the canucks news twitter accounts, I don't see much anaheim ducks stuff on there, so not sure what you guys are talking about "his family" being big into the ducks. Looks like he is just big into his kid and his kids friends who play hockey - which is pretty freakin normal/awesome to have a dad like that - here is an idea lets shut this stupid thread down and just leave the dad and thatcher alone until he makes his decision for himself.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Good point about LA being a better choice. You said we "recoup a pick" if he doesn't sign with us. How does that work and where/when would that pick be? If that is true, then drafting someone from the NCAA isn't the risk that others have been describing.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

idk if we recoup a pick since he is a 2nd. If we did it would be the first pick in the 3rd round since he was drafted in the 2nd.

My mistake. Compensation picks are only for first rounders. Unfortunate considering how the NCAA has emerged as such an awesome developing ground for players that need a little more playing time, like goalies. Let's hope that Benning frankly and emphatically told Demko's parents that his decision needs to be made ASAP in fairness to the team that drafted him and has from the start been honest with him about their plans for his future. 

From the HockeyWriters in 2012:

The fact that Schultz is, by all accounts, leaning towards free agency (with Edmonton a rumored destination according to Bob McKenzie of TSN) presents a threefold problem for Anaheim as an organization; They stand to lose their best prospect, they’ll receive no compensation, and they possess zero leverage in trade negotiations.

According to section 8.3(b) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, compensatory selections, which are provided in the second round, are only available if a team fails to ink a player selected in the first round.

Edited by RyIe

39 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

A 7th at best

Demko will sign here, I can feel it now.  He's coming. Demko, McCann, Virtanen, Stecher, maybe Caggiula. Utica will be the favourites next year. We'll have one hell of a stacked farm team. 

Im hoping this is an attempt at humour

53 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Im hoping this is an attempt at humour

No actually just to trade his rights you won't get much more than that. Why would any team trade more than a 7th just to have exclusivity with only the potential of signing him?  He can easily just play out his 4th year and be a UFA next August and choose any team he wants.. I don't believe a team would give us a second or third just to have the ability to try and sign him in the summer. 

Anyways it's all a mute point as I think he will sign here in the next week or so...

23 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

No actually just to trade his rights you won't get much more than that. Why would any team trade more than a 7th just to have exclusivity with only the potential of signing him?  He can easily just play out his 4th year and be a UFA next August and choose any team he wants.. I don't believe a team would give us a second or third just to have the ability to try and sign him in the summer. 

Anyways it's all a mute point as I think he will sign here in the next week or so...

I mean we traded Edmonton a conditional 5th round for Larsen's right....  Demko >>>>>>> Larsen

Regardlesss of that, your right. Demko will get inked hopefully any day.

8 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I mean we traded Edmonton a conditional 5th round for Larsen's right....  Demko >>>>>>> Larsen

Regardlesss of that, your right. Demko will get inked hopefully any day.

Larsen was drafted by Dallas and already signed his first ELC contract. He then went over to the KHL and was under contract there. He had been previously traded to Edmonton but decided to play in the KHL instead. We gave Edmonton a 5th to get his rights and then we signed him to come back to the NHL. Completely different scenario. 

12 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

A 7th at best. 

Demko will sign here, I can feel it now.  He's coming. Demko, McCann, Virtanen, Stecher, maybe Caggiula. Utica will be the favourites next year. We'll have one hell of a stacked farm team. 

What did Mike Reilly get?

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Larsen was drafted by Dallas and already signed his first ELC contract. He then went over to the KHL and was under contract there. He had been previously traded to Edmonton but decided to play in the KHL instead. We gave Edmonton a 5th to get his rights and then we signed him to come back to the NHL. Completely different scenario. 

I realize it's a different scenario. But we're talking about rights to a player. Just because they already signed an entry level contract doesn't make them worth more. 

All this still points that Thatcher would be worth more than 7th :huh:

Agree to disagree. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I realize it's a different scenario. But we're talking about rights to a player. Just because they already signed an entry level contract doesn't make them worth more. 

Agree to disagree. 

It does when it means their rights are held as an RFA until they come back to the NHL where with a college player they won't quite be a UFA yet but will be before the next season comes if they don't sign. Maybe that means a KHL player like Larson doesn't come back, and that's a risk, but it's less risky than hoping a player will not choose to go to UFA even if you get a good sense he'll sign with you.

I don't think there's much difference between the value of each's rights, but when you look at the above and factor in the NHL experience Larson already has plus his performance in a comparable (by degrees) professional league, plus the NHL impact he'll have right away, his rights will tend to be worth more.

Edited by elvis15

the Brenton Demko count down continues:

he tweeted "tomorrow"

what does it mean?

count down to anaheim's first game?

count down until Thatcher "the franchise" signs?

count down until finally, after all these years, shane o'brine agrees to a mayo - eating contest against Phil "turtleneck sweater" Kessel, coach Hitchcock, kyle bellwood, martin "Let-go-my-eggo" Brodeur and Dustin "human eclipse rhinoceros hips" Byfuglien????? When will u do this for us shane?

there is no way demko signs tomorrow - it would be just too good to be true -  canuck goalie not caught in a controversy??? You have to go back to 1994 -1995 to when there was no goalie drama in vancouver. Sigh.

Edited by Canucks Curse

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Agree to disagree. 

Larsen was already an NHL player, playing 6 years of pro hockey in the NHL, AHL, and KHL. You would think an established veteran would fetch more in a trade than an unsigned college prospect. But I could be wrong so no worries, we can agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

It does when it means their rights are held as an RFA until they come back to the NHL where with a college player they won't quite be a UFA yet but will be before the next season comes if they don't sign. Maybe that means a KHL player like Larson doesn't come back, and that's a risk, but it's less risky than hoping a player will not choose to go to UFA even if you get a good sense he'll sign with you.

I don't think there's much difference between the value of each's rights, but when you look at the above and factor in the NHL experience Larson already has plus his performance in a comparable (by degrees) professional league, plus the NHL impact he'll have right away, his rights will tend to be worth more.

Good points. This makes perfect sense and justifies a 5th round pick for Larsen. 

2 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Larsen was already an NHL player, playing 6 years of pro hockey in the NHL, AHL, and KHL. You would think an established veteran would fetch more in a trade than an unsigned college prospect. But I could be wrong so no worries, we can agree to disagree. 

Haha you could be right. 

Maybe my Hype for Thatcher is too high. There definitely is hype I can tell you that. I just know most teams would love to have him in their pipeline. 

I am guilty of homerism from time to time. 

4 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Haha you could be right. 

Maybe my Hype for Thatcher is too high. There definitely is hype I can tell you that. I just know most teams would love to have him in their pipeline. 

I am guilty of homerism from time to time. 

Haha so am I. Demko is gonna be a beauty. He has the potential to be s franchise goalie. Benning will do everything in his power to get him signed. Having him in Utica next year with Stecher and maybe Caggiula and maybe McCann and Virtanen as well would be awesome. Having all these guys play a year under Travis Green would increase their growth exponentially. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Haha so am I. Demko is gonna be a beauty. He has the potential to be s franchise goalie. Benning will do everything in his power to get him signed. Having him in Utica next year with Stecher and maybe Caggiula and maybe McCann and Virtanen as well would be awesome. Having all these guys play a year under Travis Green would increase their growth exponentially. 

I agree. Utica will be a fun team to cover if all those are guys there. Though, unless we draft Laine and sign Lucic, I just don't see how Jake goes back. He brings too much speed, tenacity, and strength to our lineup to send him back.