The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think the upside is as great as some people think. I simply don't see the point.

Regardless of him playing well or bad it just gives the media/vocal whiners another thing to skewer the team with. Both our goalies are healthy, Markstrom is playing well in front of a decimated team and Demko has playoffs with the team he's spent all year with to prep for and a regular season to close out.

All calling him up accomplishes is to let a certain rabid faction of the fan base get their youth 'hit' and again, give media/whiners yet another angle to skewer. It accomplishes very little for the team or Demko.

There's way too much focus being directed towards what negative media and a vocal minority who make comments on social media think. Those things have nothing to do with hockey and they don't deserve the attention that people are assigning them. If he isn't equipped to deal with the media this year then how is he going to be better prepared next season?

If he gets called up it's to get into a hockey game and give him an idea of what the NHL game looks like down the stretch as opposed to the pre-season. It shouldn't have anything to do with his ability to deal with the media or the white noise from Canucks fans.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

There's way too much focus being directed towards what negative media and a vocal minority who make comments on social media think. Those things have nothing to do with hockey and they don't deserve the attention that people are assigning them. If he isn't equipped to deal with the media this year then how is he going to be better prepared next season?

If he gets called up it's to get into a hockey game and give him an idea of what the NHL game looks like down the stretch as opposed to the pre-season. It shouldn't have anything to do with his ability to deal with the media or the white noise from Canucks fans.

I never said it had anything to do with his ability to deal with the media. Nor did I say anything about his 'mental state' FWIW.

People be jumping to conclusions a lot up in here.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg?w=414&h=388

Edited by aGENT

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I never said it had anything to do with his ability to deal with the media. Nor did I say anything about his 'mental state' FWIW.

I usually don't engage with you because it's like playing tennis with a brick wall, but what the hell. You're worried that if he comes up and doesn't play well, it gives another chance for media types to take a run at the team? The team that just came off a 7 game losing streak? That team? If they haven't heard it all by now I don't know how those media types are going to make them feel worse about the season then they already do. We'll agree to disagree, because I don't see how seeing Demko in a game could negatively impact himself or the team. It's just a hockey game in a mean nothing season, but it could give him some insight on what he would need to play at the next level.

23 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I usually don't engage with you because it's like playing tennis with a brick wall, but what the hell. You're worried that if he comes up and doesn't play well, it gives another chance for media types to take a run at the team? The team that just came off a 7 game losing streak? That team? If they haven't heard it all by now I don't know how those media types are going to make them feel worse about the season then they already do. We'll agree to disagree, because I don't see how seeing Demko in a game could negatively impact himself or the team. It's just a hockey game in a mean nothing season, but it could give him some insight on what he would need to play at the next level.

I'm not worried about the team's fragility or mental state either FWIW. You seem to have missed it the first read through...

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't think the upside is as great as some people think. I simply don't see the point.

Regardless of him playing well or bad it just gives the media/vocal whiners another thing to skewer the team with. Both our goalies are healthy, Markstrom is playing well in front of a decimated team and Demko has playoffs with the team he's spent all year with to prep for and a regular season to close out.

All calling him up accomplishes is to let a certain rabid faction of the fan base get their youth 'hit' and again, give media/whiners yet another angle to skewer. It accomplishes very little for the team or Demko.

Recalling a player isn't about what YOU (or other fans...or the media) want.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, Canadian Clay said:

If one of the goalies gets hurt, I’m all about bringing up Demko and letting him get a sniff. But if both goalies are healthy, don’t bother. Just adds a bunch of hoopla and distraction to Demko, Vancouver, and Utica. 

You mean, if there's a logical reason?

;) 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not worried about the team's fragility or mental state either FWIW. You seem to have missed it the first read through...

Recalling a player isn't about what YOU (or other fans...or the media) want.

I tried to read what you said and decipher wtf you were talking about and the only thing I could make out is that you were worried media and rabid fans would try to skewer the team. So your not worried about the mental state of the team or Demko, so then I should deduce that you just don't want to hear it? lol.

I already said I don't care either way and I'm not pushing for it, but I just don't see the harm. It could be beneficial for his training this summer and it would put a few ducets in his pocket as a reward for his play in the AHL this season.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I tried to read what you said and decipher wtf you were talking about and the only thing I could make out is that you were worried media and rabid fans would try to skewer the team. So your not worried about the mental state of the team or Demko, so then I should deduce that you just don't want to hear it? lol.

I already said I don't care either way and I'm not pushing for it, but I just don't see the harm. It could be beneficial for his training this summer and it would put a few ducets in his pocket as a reward for his play in the AHL this season.

It's not about me either.  Why add fuel to that fire for little or no benefit to the team or Demko? Seems a pretty easy decision imo :lol:

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not about me either.  Why add fuel to that fire for little or no benefit to the team or Demko? Seems a pretty easy decision imo :lol:

I'm so confused. What fire? I thought you weren't worried about the effect to the team or Demko? And I think there could be a real tangible benefit to playing in an NHL game that could carry over into his preparation for next season. But anyhoo lol.

EminentConcreteEstuarinecrocodile-size_r

20 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'm so confused. What fire? I thought you weren't worried about the effect to the team or Demko? And I think there could be a real tangible benefit to playing in an NHL game that could carry over into his preparation for next season. But anyhoo lol.

EminentConcreteEstuarinecrocodile-size_r

In not worried about the team or Demko. Doesn't mean management should go out of their way to give them material for little/no benefit to the team. I'm sorry you're having trouble grasping that. 

Demko played with NHL'ers last pre season and will again next. Just as useful as playing garbage games with a decimated roster now.

If there's an injury, by all means call him up, otherwise there's no reason. Certainly not to appease a few impatient fans. He'll play plenty of NHL games soon enough. 

I think he deserves a little NHL money. Even if it's just watching from the pres box. He'll enjoy iy. It'll be something he can share with friends and family.

Next year I think he has a shot at backing up Marky too.If he brings it in training camp.

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

It could be to get Markstrom motivated for a strong off season. He's confident now he can play the starter role and excel when the going gets tough.  

Bring in Demko to show him who's knocking to make him uncomfortable so he has the greatest off season of his career. It would help Markstrom stay focused and help Demko having a better equipped and prepared Markstrom for him to overcome. 

If demko wants it. I want him to outright steal it off of a goaltender who has only continued to elevate his game.  We ride them both for a bit.  If Markstrom rocks it. You flip him when demkos ready and run away with the return! 

Competition breeds success.  Let's get these guys both motivated and preparing for the most important off seasons of their careers. Markstrom to try and solidify himself as a #1 starter and demko trying to prove he is ready for backup duty. Send Nilsson down and bobs your uncle.

If Markstrom doesn't already know Demko is knocking at the doorstep, then he will be passed quickly. I don't think playing Demko a couple of games is going to make a difference. Demko isn't going to take over the starter role next year, but he could make a push as the backup. Once he has won the backup role, then he can breathe down Markstrom's neck. The competition will still be there regardless if he plays this year or not, so let's just keep Demko focused on the playoffs he has ahead of him. I think a good playoff run for him there will prove just as much as if he won a couple of games against non-playoff teams or teams resting up for the playoffs.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Doesn't mean management should go out of their way to give them material for little/no benefit to the team.

I disagree, it does have a benefit to the team as they'll want to play that much better so Demko can get his first ever win. 

Demko played with NHL'ers last pre season and will again next. Just as useful as playing garbage games with a decimated roster now.

Again, disagree.  There is a reason why regular season stats are recorded officially.  He'll be facing an actual NHL line-up not half a minor league team. 

Certainly not to appease a few impatient fans.

This has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with Demko's development.  Why can't you understand that? 

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

That's exactly what he implied, and he thinks it'll have no benefit to Demko which I heavily disagree with.  I also don't care either way but I strongly think there is a huge benefit to Demko and the team if management decided to give Thatchy D a shot.

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think a good playoff run for him there will prove just as much as if he won a couple of games against non-playoff teams or teams resting up for the playoffs.

Utica clinched, he can accomplish both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I disagree, it does have a benefit to the team as they'll want to play that much better so Demko can get his first ever win. 

Again, disagree.  There is a reason why regular season stats are recorded officially.  He'll be facing an actual NHL line-up not half a minor league team. 

This has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with Demko's development.  Why can't you understand that? 

That's exactly what he implied, and he thinks it'll have no benefit to Demko which I heavily disagree with.  I also don't care either way but I strongly think there is a huge benefit to Demko and the team if management decided to give Thatchy D a shot.

One, I question how much harder this collection of players can play- they've been winning games despite fielding a good AHL roster. Two, you can not remotely claim that as a fact as you seem to be doing here.

He'd also be playing in front of half a minor league team playing full NHL teams. Dubious benefit to that.

His development is and will continue to be just fine without him getting an unnecessary, unneeded call up. Sorry but this is horse excrement. 

It is not what I implied, it is what you (and he) inferred. Wrongly I might add. And I said little to no benefit FWIW.

And you 'heavily disagree with', 'don't care either way' but also 'strongly think'...sounds like you don't know what you think.

Edited by aGENT

14 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If Markstrom doesn't already know Demko is knocking at the doorstep, then he will be passed quickly. I don't think playing Demko a couple of games is going to make a difference. Demko isn't going to take over the starter role next year, but he could make a push as the backup. Once he has won the backup role, then he can breathe down Markstrom's neck. The competition will still be there regardless if he plays this year or not, so let's just keep Demko focused on the playoffs he has ahead of him. I think a good playoff run for him there will prove just as much as if he won a couple of games against non-playoff teams or teams resting up for the playoffs.

they won't want him sitting on the bench for 50 games a year, just like DN and MG didn't want Schneids doing it either.  He needs to be a starter in Utica until he is ready to, at the very least, platoon in the starter role.  As Cull said, he's not ready for NHL games yet and several regular Utica fans have reinforced that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

they won't want him sitting on the bench for 50 games a year, just like DN and MG didn't want Schneids doing it either.  He needs to be a starter in Utica until he is ready to, at the very least, platoon in the starter role.  As Cull said, he's not ready for NHL games yet and several regular Utica fans have reinforced that.

I see it playing out as this. If Nilsson can be traded this offseason he will be, and Demko will fight for starts with Marky. If Nilsson cant be traded in the offseason then he will be traded before the deadline or waived to let Demko step in. Either way I see Demko as our full time starter in 2019-20 when it will be Markys last contract year and he will be traded.

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

I see it playing out as this. If Nilsson can be traded this offseason he will be, and Demko will fight for starts with Marky. If Nilsson cant be traded in the offseason then he will be traded before the deadline or waived to let Demko step in. Either way I see Demko as our full time starter in 2019-20 when it will be Markys last contract year and he will be traded.

Do you believe Cull isn't being truthful when he says Demko isn't ready for the NHL yet?  There are certainly some hard core Comets fans in the Comets thread who agree with that notion. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Well this goes with what I'm saying that there's no need to have him play a couple of games here to end the season. He has the preseason to showcase if he is ready or not. If he plays lights out and forces the team to make a decision, then I don't see why we wouldn't move Nilsson or even Markstrom to open up that spot for him. He may be a backup to start, but he doesn't have Luongo in front of him like Schneider did and Schneider turned out just fine anyway. 

I think there needs to be a transition period and how fast it is will be up to Demko's play. I don't think we can bump Demko into a starting role at any point straight from the AHL until he proves he can handle the NHL itself first.

• Cheers 1