The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Regardless if that was actually the cause for his dip in play or not, the coach shouldn't be announcing that to the media. He's gotta know the market he's dealing with and how a little comment like that is gonna get blown up and come back to Demko.

Imma gon go with Demko's already been told by the team and teammates what it's like here, and make it water off a duck's back.  He seems mature enough to make it that way, too.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

In his previous 10 games he was 7-1-2 with a .939 SV% and a 2.00 GAA.

If his play was regressing his stats weren't showing it.

Regardless if that was actually the cause for his dip in play or not, the coach shouldn't be announcing that to the media. He's gotta know the market he's dealing with and how a little comment like that is gonna get blown up and come back to Demko.

Rookie coach making a rookie mistake that's all. I'm sure he'll learn.

It was the exact honest assessment of the NHL Readiness of players that Travis Green always gave when asked by the media.  Specifically but not limited to Jordan Subban, Hunter Shinkaruk and Brendan Gaunce.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Imma gon go with Demko's already been told by the team and teammates what it's like here, and make it water off a duck's back.  He seems mature enough to make it that way, too.

I'm sure he'll be fine. But it just doesn't do any good to tell the media that he's not close.

I think he thinks he's close. Let him keep working away with that mindset.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe it was said on purpose, giving Demko a taste of what media coverage will be like, part of the process?

Just now, UticaHockey said:

It was the exact honest assessment of the NHL Readiness of players that Travis Green always gave when asked by the media.  Specifically but not limited to Jordan Subban, Hunter Shinkaruk and Brendan Gaunce.

Those players really weren't close though. Two of them are unlikely to even be NHLers. So his assessment was correct there.

With the numbers Demko was putting up there's no reason to think that he's not close to a backup role in the NHL. I think maybe half a season and he could potentially be there. I would call that close.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm sure he'll be fine. But it just doesn't do any good to tell the media that he's not close.

I think he thinks he's close. Let him keep working away with that mindset.

Actually, I take a different track -- maybe it'll shut them up from goading the fanbase with the "Why don't they give Subban a shot" nonsense that the impressionable latch onto and parrot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TSN1040 interview today (duration: 11:48), with Kevin Woodley regarding Thatcher and his call-up logistics surrounding being located in Utica.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/woodley-geography-matters-with-demko-being-in-utica-1.1025737

Very interesting listen, Kevin explains the logistics surrounding Demko's call-up, with insight into a couple of aspects I hadn't considered. Woodley then talks about a NHL goalie review of Ovi's shot. Enjoy!

Edited by ftmN

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He should be nowhere near this tire fire IMO. Not good for him, not good for Utica, not going to help the Canucks. All it does is appease a few short sighted fans and rabid media who would simply take the opportunity to either pounce on his dead carcass if he struggles or stick their thumbs in management's eyes if he plays well.

Leave Demko alone.

I absolutely agree. Let him have a good off-season and see if he's ready to challenge.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

For those who think Demko is ready for a call up Thatcher has been in a slump since the all star game and continues to give up soft goals.  It's starting to get to him now as last night after another weak goal a couple fans behind the net started to get on his case and Demko squirted his water bottle towards them multiple times.

If his maturity level isn't high enough to ignore a couple idiots in Utica is he ready to face the Vancouver media if he strings a few bad games together behind that team?

• Upvote 3

On 2018-03-16 at 6:16 PM, aGENT said:

He should be nowhere near this tire fire IMO. Not good for him, not good for Utica, not going to help the Canucks. All it does is appease a few short sighted fans and rabid media who would simply take the opportunity to either pounce on his dead carcass if he struggles or stick their thumbs in management's eyes if he plays well.

Leave Demko alone.

Agree. 

He could also catch rookie fire and take teams by surprise. 

At this point why do anything to slow the tank down. 

Fallen for Dahlin. Only a few games left and then we can start to fret over the lotto. 

• Like 1

Demko remaining in Utica is fine but I really don't see the harm with management asking Demko if he would like a start before the NHL season ends as a reward for putting in the work this year.  One start and he can go back to the AHL and help Utica in the playoffs.  It wouldn't ruin his development or shatter his confidence one iota.  He gets a little payday, gets to see first hand the speed and skill of the NHL and it allows him to work that much harder in the offseason knowing he has what it takes to play with the big boys.

And as an applied psychology major who’s also pursuing a minor in philosophy at Boston College, he knows his career path would make a good term paper.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-reel-in-thatcher-demko-with-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity

Does this sound like someone that would get destroyed over one game?  Lol, some of you guys are way too paranoid about prospects playing in the big show.  Letting them marinate in the minors for too long can also stunt their development.  Point is every prospect is different and each one should be handled separately.  I realise at this point it is probably too late and again I said I am fine either way but posts like this:

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, aGENT said:

Leave Demko alone.

is straight up ridiculous imo.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Demko remaining in Utica is fine but I really don't see the harm with management asking Demko if he would like a start before the NHL season ends as a reward for putting in the work this year.  One start and he can go back to the AHL and help Utica in the playoffs.  It wouldn't ruin his development or shatter his confidence one iota.  He gets a little payday, gets to see first hand the speed and skill of the NHL and it allows him to work that much harder in the offseason knowing he has what it takes to play with the big boys.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-reel-in-thatcher-demko-with-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity

Does this sound like someone that would get destroyed over one game?  Lol, some of you guys are way too paranoid about prospects playing in the big show.  Letting them marinate in the minors for too long can also stunt their development.  Point is every prospect is different and each one should be handled separately.  I realise at this point it is probably too late and again I said I am fine either way but posts like this:

is straight up ridiculous imo.

My opinion is in no way based on his mental makeup.