The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

If there's an injury, by all means call him up, otherwise there's no reason.

Sure Mr. never been wrong a day in his life. Yes there was a reason and that was to play an NHL game in the regular season. I couldn't care less if Nilsson played another game for the rest of the season so saying we had 2 healthy goalies is short sighted. I really hope he gets to guard the net during his call up and I would go as far as using that last call up on Demko to give him 2 starts even.

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Sure Mr. never been wrong a day in his life. Yes there was a reason and that was to play an NHL game in the regular season. I couldn't care less if Nilsson played another game for the rest of the season so saying we had 2 healthy goalies is short sighted. I really hope he gets to guard the net during his call up and I would go as far as using that last call up on Demko to give him 2 starts even.

It's all there in plain, readable text bud.

Columbus is hot and just lit up the Flames top prospect goalie who reminds me of Demko.

The way Pouliot, MDZ, Sedins, Gagner and quite a few other bad defending players have been leaving Markstrom to make several and far too many huge saves nightly so I'm a bit concerned Demko is being thrown to the wolves here today.

The big guy has obviously had plenty games where he's had to stand on his head in the past but not against NHL shooters so damn I'm really hoping the team plays much better defensively than usual today.

Would be great to see Demko play rock solid and get the win here will go a long way as to showing everyone and confirming we also have a great young goalie to match all the future prospect talent we have moving forward and possible elite team in general.

Good experience for Demko.  Nice for him to get the win, now he can go back lead his Utica team into the playoffs and work hard in the offseason to challenge for a spot next year.

I can see what Utica has been saying about rebound control.  That will need to be cleaned up if he is going to have an NHL career.

Wow, I didn't think Demko would get a game this year. I thought that he'd earn a callup to get some big league money for a couple of days, but not actual playing time. With Markstrom and Nilsson both out it makes sense, but Bachman still could've been an option. 

Looking at the highlights of the game, it looks like it could've been really ugly. The Jackets are one of the hottest teams right now and Demko had been travelling for I thinkg 7 hours before the game. Columbus hit like 4-5 posts in the game and I think 3 in the first. If even two of those go in it doesn't look so good for the kid to give up 6+ goals in his first game. I think we got lucky that the game went the way that it did and Demko ended up getting his first career win. 

Now, I'm not saying that giving up something like 6 goals in his NHL debut would break Demko mentally; I'd be pretty confident he'd recover and look better next year. Remember when Malcolm Subban got lit up and pulled in his first NHL game? He looks pretty good for Vegas now. The thing with both of those situations is that they were preventable; Subban started against the Blues (strong at the time) instead of Edmonton (weak) the next day, while Demko had to travel shortly before playing the hottest team in the league. Demko's debut went a lot better than Subban's, but all the signs were there to suggest that it probably shouldn't have. I don't think it was a great idea to make that decision when the probable and unnecessary consequences outweighed the improbable and largely unimportant benefits. I think we got lucky with that outcome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Looks like Demko is heading back to Utica which is a smart move.  Got his NHL game in and showed what he needs to work on and coming back early enough to get refocused.

End of an era.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I wasn't concerned with all the posts(goalposts that is), he had the net coveredB).  Looked a little shaky in the first period but settled down nicely.  To me he looks like a guy that can come in and backup Marky 60/40 split and possibly have the number one spot by Christmas. 

I have to say, even with the spurt of goals let in during the last 5-10 minutes (which I blame primarily on the team defense), he was unbelievably calm  and cool in comparison to other goalies we've had in the past. I think he's going to be mentally stronger than Markstrom, Schneider, and Luongo. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I have to say, even with the spurt of goals let in during the last 5-10 minutes (which I blame primarily on the team defense), he was unbelievably calm  and cool in comparison to other goalies we've had in the past. I think he's going to be mentally stronger than Markstrom, Schneider, and Luongo. 

Good first outing for Demko but don't forget it was a mean nothing game with no pressure.  Easier to look cool when nothing is on the line (who really would blame him besides "the usual suspects" here if he had a bad game?)

Eddie Lack looked good (put up solid numbers) backing up Miller....as a backup....when Miller had the pressure of being the starter.

• Upvote 1