The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hutton should be rotated out every other game when EG comes back.. so that Tanev, Stetcher, Edler, Gud, Sbisa, & Nik get a rest day..

the schedule this year has been brutal. Tanev usually gets pummelled.

A better plan should have been implemented for this already,. possibly why EG's injury went further than it should have, and the 2 month injuries to Edler and Tanev occurred. Now Stetcher needs to be protected down the stretch.

Let's ADMIT we do have an injury problem with our D. I shied away from that proposition earlier this season only to see it come to full fruition once again.

We need D depth. And I agree Tanev and Edler need "protected games".

Injuries are more prevalent with game fatigue especially when teams target and hit you (Stechers getting that now too).

I think that it's a plus that someone Tryamkins size will generally come out on the better end of his collisions. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Let's ADMIT we do have an injury problem with our D. I shied away from that proposition earlier this season only to see it come to full fruition once again.

We need D depth. And I agree Tanev and Edler need "protected games".

Injuries are more prevalent with game fatigue especially when teams target and hit you (Stechers getting that now too).

I think that it's a plus that someone Tryamkins size will generally come out on the better end of his collisions. 

I have to think that a bigger d-core helps with the injury problem that visits the Canucks EVERY season. Move Tanev in a deal for forward assets and Stecher becomes the only sub 200 pounder in the starting six. Not saying that bigger 'd' won't get hurt just playing the odds.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have to think that a bigger d-core helps with the injury problem that visits the Canucks EVERY season. Move Tanev in a deal for forward assets and Stecher becomes the only sub 200 pounder in the starting six. Not saying that bigger 'd' won't get hurt just playing the odds.

I wonder what the avg games missed for the top ten big defenseman are.

6 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Couldn't agree more.  I don't get the criticism of Gudbranson.  He is a consistent, physical presence on a team that is not known for bruising their opponents, and he has some upside.  As the game is changing, he can probably drop a little weight and improve his quickness.  With Stecher coming on you have to balance that with some beef.  Tryamkin certainly fills that bill too but he needs more seasoning and does not play with the consistency of Gud.  

Pretty simple really.  Weber and Bartkowski are gone, Edler's been injured, and Sbisa has stepped up.

Someone's gotta take the whippin'.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Let's not get crazy. Never mind that's a significant jump from where we're at at this point, you don't win the Norris by defence alone. His 4 points this year is not an indicator he'll have enough offence to ever be considered.

I love his work so far, don't get me wrong, but when I can count on one hand all the defencemen the Canucks have ever had who I'd consider Norris trophy worthy I try not to make predictions like that. Seeing him pin Kopitar against the boards with ease was great to see even if it doesn't win him any awards.

Nothing crazy about it Elvis.

I'll stick with my quote.

A lot of Norris candidates looked less in their first season,. Or even less than  a candidate at 22 years old.

The Norris is won by D men in their prime..  and Nik isn't there,. Yet.   

The game is changing towards speedier, skilled players, especially at D. Look at PIT and how they won the Cup, their Dmen quickly transitioned the puck out of the zone with a great first pass or by skating it out, look how CBJ is winning this year, starts with their Dmen. 

Gudbranson is not a great skater and he is not a great passer. He's a 4 or 5 Dman on this team and a 5 Dman on a good team. Unless EG vastly improves his skating and puck moving / passing ability he's a 3rd pairing guy moving forward. This is how the game is being played right now. It's no longer the BOS model, now it's the speedy skilled teams at forward and defense who win. 

IF we make the playoffs I will look forward to see how EG does. THat might be his time to shine in the big strong WC with it's physical style of play. Even then EG won't be a top pair Dman. He'll be 4D at best. 

Edited by WHL rocks

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

The game is changing towards speedier, skilled players, especially at D. Look at PIT and how they won the Cup, their Dmen quickly transitioned the puck out of the zone with a great first pass or by skating it out, look how CBJ is winning this year, starts with their Dmen. 

Gudbranson is not a great skater and he is not a great passer. He's a 4 or 5 Dman on this team and a 5 Dman on a good team. Unless EG vastly improves his skating and puck moving / passing ability he's a 3rd pairing guy moving forward. This is how the game is being played right now. It's no longer the BOS model, now it's the speedy skilled teams at forward and defense who win. 

IF we make the playoffs I will look forward to see how EG does. THat might be his time to shine in the big strong WC with it's physical style of play. Even then EG won't be a top pair Dman. He'll be 4D at best. 

Watch how a physical dead puck team shuts down a speedy line up in the SCF, then everyone will declare the end of speed and the return of physicality.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Watch how a physical dead puck team shuts down a speedy line up in the SCF, then everyone will declare the end of speed and the return of physicality.

But.....but.....speed is the way of the future, and nothing can stop that....right?

When was the last time a speedy, skilled, puck moving team was nullified by a more physical opponent? Oh right.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But.....but.....speed is the way of the future, and nothing can stop that....right?

When was the last time a speedy, skilled, puck moving team was nullified by a more physical opponent? Oh right.

Personally, I love how our D core is shaping out. We have Stecher and Hutton, and Joulevi in the system. Then we have Guddy, Tryamkin and Sbisa. Hopefully we don't lose Sbisa at the expansion draft. I think as far as the D is concerned with got everything covered. 

Hopefully the next few years we can do the same with the forwards.

32 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

The NHL talks a good game but serious CUP play always comes down to a big physical element. No saying speed and finesse cannot impact an outcome but the fundamental is that big bodies stand up longer. They improve the odds.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Personally, I love how our D core is shaping out. We have Stecher and Hutton, and Joulevi in the system. Then we have Guddy, Tryamkin and Sbisa. Hopefully we don't lose Sbisa at the expansion draft. I think as far as the D is concerned with got everything covered. 

Hopefully the next few years we can do the same with the forwards.

And Tanev, as one of the most rock-solid defensive defenseman in the league. I love how multi-faceted the defense has become. Back in the days when Weber and Bartkowski were here, I would always cringe when the Canucks played a larger, physical team, as the defense was always pushed back on it's heels. All any sizeable team had to do was lay in on the forecheck and any composure the defense had was gone.

I don't see that happening as much this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

It will never go back to dead puck hockey like in the 90s. That was by design because the Europeans were way too skilled for our boys and were skating circles around them when they started coming over to the NHL. The game was changed on purpose untill our grass roots development changed and caught up.  Took over a decade. 

WSH tried defensive shutdown hockey  against PIT so did TMB. Those 2 teams had the best defensive systems in the playoffs.  Couldn't handle Pens speed.  

But yeah I here ya. It always changes back and forth. Right now the speed and skill era just started again.  It will pbbly change back to the Boston model again at some point. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

On 2017-01-03 at 9:37 AM, WHL rocks said:

It will never go back to dead puck hockey like in the 90s. That was by design because the Europeans were way too skilled for our boys and were skating circles around them when they started coming over to the NHL. The game was changed on purpose untill our grass roots development changed and caught up.  Took over a decade. 

WSH tried defensive shutdown hockey  against PIT so did TMB. Those 2 teams had the best defensive systems in the playoffs.  Couldn't handle Pens speed.  

But yeah I here ya. It always changes back and forth. Right now the speed and skill era just started again.  It will pbbly change back to the Boston model again at some point. 

How about the "goon it up" hockey that won the Flyers two Cups?  With teams so soft now, maybe some team tries to load up and pound their way to the playoffs?  Have a few super talented guys, and surround them with the "goon squad".  

On 2017-01-03 at 9:37 AM, WHL rocks said:

How about the "goon it up" hockey that won the Flyers two Cups?  With teams so soft now, maybe some team tries to load up and pound their way to the playoffs?  Have a few super talented guys, and surround them with the "goon squad".  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I doubt it. With the way they are trying to take fighting out of the game that stuff just won't fly anymore. Instigating penalty pretty much ends that strategy. 

On 1/3/2017 at 0:26 AM, WHL rocks said:

To be fair its not one model that prevails all. It all comes down to which team plays their system better. Pits out played teams with their speed. Kings outplayed teams with their tough grind style. I believe its more of a focus on their teams strength ie. fast pace hockey / slow grinding hockey and not a mix of both. You shouldn't have 2 lines playing 1 and the other 2 playing the other style. Full team commitment to one style makes for an identity.