The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

59 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I wish he develops a mean streak, he can lay out some serious damage and would be a huge deterrent for the opposition forwards to dump the puck in or come near the crease

Me too, although I think he'll be a solid #2 shut down d-man regardless,  I'd be even more excited if he wasn't such a gentle giant.

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

I wish he develops a mean streak, he can lay out some serious damage and would be a huge deterrent for the opposition

forwards to dump the puck in or come near the crease

I think he's still (and possibly the coaches) seeing where he fits in the scheme of the refereeing in the NHL. The last thing he needs is a 

label as a wreckless headhunter like Kass or whoever. The Canucks have been weening themselves out of that hole very slowly ie as a

targeted team. Weird the microscope this team is under from the league. Since 2011.  I think its wearing away hopefully.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he's still (and possibly the coaches) seeing where he fits in the scheme of the refereeing in the NHL. The last thing he needs is a 

label as a wreckless headhunter like Kass or whoever. The Canucks have been weening themselves out of that hole very slowly ie as a

targeted team. Weird the microscope this team is under from the league. Since 2011.  I think its wearing away hopefully.

TBF, its a concern for most teams and their big guys getting a mean streak- once you cross the 6'6 threshold, most teams do restrain their 'humongous guy' initially- unless of course, the mean streak is the only thing the guy's got (which is not the case here).

For every Chara there is a Tyler Myers.  

Big guys usually don't have a mean streak because they always got respect growing up without having to fight for it.  

I hope that fans show a bit of logic and understand that big player does not automatically equal someone who likes to fight and instigate physical play.

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Big guys usually don't have a mean streak because they always got respect growing up without having to fight for it.  

I hope that fans show a bit of logic and understand that big player does not automatically equal someone who likes to fight and instigate physical play.

So basically for every Tryamkin you get Tryamkin. Which means we have a Tryamkin. :) 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

And for every action, an opposite and equal reaction.

• Upvote 1

Good article and breakdown of the smaller parts of Try's game. Everything was there at the end of last season, I was wondering why WD didn't trust enough to put him in sooner against Ana and LA where our nosedive began.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 4

Thanks for the report Hairy Kneel. The videos didn't work for me but still a solid read. How can you not be excited for Try. 

To bad it's Arizona. I will be doing backflips when we can pull out a great detailed report on his plays against the top league teams. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Good article and breakdown of the smaller parts of Try's game. Everything was there at the end of last season, I was wondering why WD didn't trust enough to put him in sooner against Ana and LA where our nosedive began.

Thanks for the link, Hairy!

Many fans are most excited by Stecher's game and fair enough. IMHO Tryamkin has a bigger overall upside than Stecher has. Needless to say the arrival of these two has transformed the Canuck backend. It likely allows Benning to trade either Tanev or Edler within the next year. Hopefully Tanev by the TDL but I doubt it.

What we are now seeing from Tryamkin are glimpse of his offensive upside. He is moving the puck up ice more often and cover 200' very quickly when he winds up. One has to wonder what happens when he starts going to the net more aggressively. He will be fun to watch for years! 

• Upvote 2

Tryamkin needs more time. IMO, he isn't going to be  a Chara, simply because he is a better skater than Chara & has a way more active stick. So IMO, by default, he will be less physical because he is going to dedicate more play-time 'poking the puck/attempting to poke the puck' than Chara. Which means automatically, less number of hits and therefore, less number of 'crushing hits'. Because most of the time, when you poke at the puck on someone else's stick, you either:

a) jar the puck loose 

b ) take over the puck

c) fail & player blows by you.

Because in most cases of you 'crushed the player after you poked the puck free' , you'd get a penalty, rightly so, because its goon-isn.

13 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Tryamkin needs more time. IMO, he isn't going to be  a Chara, simply because he is a better skater than Chara & has a way more active stick. So IMO, by default, he will be less physical because he is going to dedicate more play-time 'poking the puck/attempting to poke the puck' than Chara. Which means automatically, less number of hits and therefore, less number of 'crushing hits'. Because most of the time, when you poke at the puck on someone else's stick, you either:

a) jar the puck loose 

b ) take over the puck

c) fail & player blows by you.

Because in most cases of you 'crushed the player after you poked the puck free' , you'd get a penalty, rightly so, because its goon-isn.

Tryamkin at 22 yrs, is already a far better player than Chara was at 22 yrs.

Tryamkin has and shows more potential than Chara ever did at this age.

Oh and,. Chara is currently 119 th in hits.

Tryamkin is 66th

ps.  Tryamkin has "more time", and his play has guaranteed that.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Tryamkin at 22 yrs, is already a far better player than Chara was at 22 yrs.

Tryamkin has and shows more potential than Chara ever did at this age.

Oh and,. Chara is currently 119 th in hits.

Tryamkin is 66th

ps.  Tryamkin has "more time", and his play has guaranteed that.

I'm glad you are also high on Groot, he is going to be a rock solid player for us for years to come!

21 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'm glad you are also high on Groot, he is going to be a rock solid player for us for years to come!

Yes, first saw him at the World Juniors, followed his own path beginning in the KHL..

This kid knows the game.. he is intelligent, and has great reaction to offensive opportunity.

He has played before on the pp in front of the net.. and should be utilized on our pp in this fashion.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Thanks for the link, Hairy!

Many fans are most excited by Stecher's game and fair enough. IMHO Tryamkin has a bigger overall upside than Stecher has. Needless to say the arrival of these two has transformed the Canuck backend. It likely allows Benning to trade either Tanev or Edler within the next year. Hopefully Tanev by the TDL but I doubt it.

What we are now seeing from Tryamkin are glimpse of his offensive upside. He is moving the puck up ice more often and cover 200' very quickly when he winds up. One has to wonder what happens when he starts going to the net more aggressively. He will be fun to watch for years! 

I was going to write something after the game but this post summed it up. 

The only caveat being that Stetch maybe playing with a bit of a stinger, which is not to takeaway from the monster that 88 is becoming. 

And it was nice to see Tryamkin hitting tonight.